Hyper-V and Visual Studio 2013 could affect battery life...

jywang

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Installing Visual Studio 2013 with Phone SDK will cause Hyper-V to be installed which in turn disables the ability for CPU to run at a lower frequency. I manually turned-off Hyper-V after installing Visual Studio. You won't be able to use Windows Phone emulation while disabled but it allows the CPU to run at lowered frequency.

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, does the same thing happen if I simply install Hyper-V from Windows Features ("Turn Windows features on or off")? Or would I need to actually create and run a VM to be affected by this bug?

I assume it is a bug that will be fixed in the future, and not by design?

chfhyh

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, at what frequency your CPU is running.. It is hard to believe Hyper-V would affect CPU just by installing it. do you have a source for this claim?

Installing Visual Studio 2013 with Phone SDK will cause Hyper-V to be installed which in turn disables the ability for CPU to run at a lower frequency. I manually turned-off Hyper-V after installing Visual Studio. You won't be able to use Windows Phone emulation while disabled but it allows the CPU to run at lowered frequency.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
My understanding is that it doesn't actually change the CPU speed, but changes the reporting. (I could definitely be wrong on this though). Basically though, I think it basically abstracts the CPU from the OS, and then both the host OS and client OS only see a virtual CPU.

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Confirmed removing Hyper-V brought back the minimum/maximum processor state power management settings (under CP > Power Options > Changed advanced power settings > Processor power management).

With it installed, I did notice that the SP2 battery life seemed to have run down quicker.

Also discussed here (see 2nd page of that thread).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium