Surface Pro 2 - Laptop AND Desktop Replacement?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone come across the idea that the Surface Pro 2 can replace both your laptop and desktop?

For the last few years or so, my home desktop has been basically a repository for my digital media. Pictures, home videos, ripped DVD's so I can stream to the XBOX, mostly with the Windows Media Center Extender. Now and then, I may fire up a game but being a busy dad and husband, I rarely go to my desktop. I think my desktop has basically become a file server and backup device.

I am just about convinced that I like my Surface Pro 2 for everything I need a PC for.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I intend to buy a Surface Pro 2 in the near future for that same purpose- to replace my desktop and netbook.

It's rather pricey, especially when you add the keyboard, docking station, and a large touch screen monitor, but I like the idea of the versatility.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I intend to buy a Surface Pro 2 in the near future for that same purpose- to replace my desktop and netbook.

It's rather pricey, especially when you add the keyboard, docking station, and a large touch screen monitor, but I like the idea of the versatility.

Yes...I like having what I need, where I need it. Really considering a little downsizing in my home office to just setup a file server with backup drives and go mobile. Though the docking station is tempting...

foaf

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
TL:DR: Ok, I've done this and it works.

For a bit of back story, I had a custom desktop with 30 inch monitor. Aside from some gaming and creative programmes like PS, it was used to consuming content on my TV. I then used a macbook and heavy work laptop as a semi portable device. I've mothballed the desktop and have used the SP2 as my everything since getting it. I don't take my heavy work laptop home anymore and the macbook simply serves content to the TV.

What I've found, is there are some (not many) instances where I want a 30 inch monitor and mouse to be productive (work stuff mainly). So screen size is a slight issue. As is battery life, it's good, but I get a bit paniky about it. I'm going to buy a second charger for work so I'm not worried about it.

One remaining issue: I have a WHS 2011, and am still debating whether to go fully SkyDrive. The Surface is a bit annoying in how it seems to need to re-read the entire contents of a Library folder on the WHS.

dolphinparty

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
TL:DR:
One remaining issue: I have a WHS 2011, and am still debating whether to go fully SkyDrive. The Surface is a bit annoying in how it seems to need to re-read the entire contents of a Library folder on the WHS.

Did you manage to get a full backup of the Surface Pro 2 with WHS? Mine fails complaining of shadow copies.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It replaces both. I have an external HD for movies and music. I use the "play to" feature to stream to my Xbox. No WHS for me. My setup is simple, but it works.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I have specific HW dependency and therefor the SP2 cant replace my desktop...but thats a special case to me. For the general user that doesnt have specific HW dependencies (i.e. PCI card) i see no reason why SP2 couldnt replace both a laptop and desktop.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind having more than one machine and prefer it. Even if the SP2 can do everything my desktop can (and it can't at the moment) I can't see myself having a single point of failure with a device that is completely unserviceable by myself. Should anything happen to the SP2 windows installation it's always good to have another computer to help make repairs (or just look things up on the Internet). My desktop is always my trusty home base upon which all sorts of mobile computers and gadgets revolve. I've got enough redundancy on that machine to make total failure much less likely (if nothing else it won't easily get lost, stolen, or broken in transit).

Also right now "docking" with an external monitor is kind of a pain when you have the desktop text scaling set to something higher than 100%. I find I have to always reset the scaling to 100% in order for my 1920x1200 monitor to be able to use it's native resolution. Even then I only have one monitor.

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
If you just use the desktop occasionally for specialized tasks and otherwise use mobile devices, sure it is possible. My desktop setup, which actually consists of a 27 inch display and a docked laptop, tends to be used too much and mixed with a tablet or other device for some reading in the sofa, so in my use case, it would be inconvenient to have to switch too often between the setups.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My experience with Surface Pro 2 so far - if you are using your desktop just for few things as you said, you should happily go ahead to replace both your laptop and desktop with this. But if you are heavily dependent & habitual of using desktop, you might not like this as replacement !! for laptop, its a sure perfect replacement IMO.

imaware

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
It could never replace my desktop pc which is super spec for gaming and video editing , but I quite happily sold my ipad4 and 2 year old laptop , as this is easier to take away on holiday.

WG Rowland

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It took me a while to find a wireless keyboard/trackpad combo I was happy with for couch surfing, but now that I have I have the dock with an HDMI adapter hooked up to the home theater setup in my den. While there are still some activities I find easier on the multi-monitor setup in my office, for most tasks the surface has become a more comfortable place to work/browse/play and my main PC is quickly becoming a file server.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb