Battery indicator issues after update

dfaris

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else not have an issue with the battery indicator not updating? My indicator
is not updating properly. It still shows 100% when I know it should be less then that. If I leave it unplugged
all night and have a sound app running the whole night it should be down to about 70%. If I go to the desktop
and tap the battery icon it says 100%. Then If I do a reset as suggested in a different thread it will show the correct
battery charge.

I'm just wondering if it is my surface or are others having this issue?

Thanks

Dave

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It is difficult to know if the battery sensor is broken or it's because you have installed (well Windows Update did) the faulty firmware, witch Microsoft is working on to fix.
It is expected for an early Jan release.

dfaris

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok well thats good news. I'm pretty sure it was the firmware update. It was working perfectly before I did the last update.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It has been reported in many forums. To temporarily fix it, do this:

1. Shut down surface pro 2
2. Hold down volume up and power buttons for at least 15 seconds. You may see the surface splash screen pop up. Just disregard it.
3. Wait 10 seconds and then press power button to turn it back on.

This will result in a correct battery status. After a little while (hours to days) you may find it is showing the constant 100% battery again. It helps, but it definitely just temporary.

Bremen Cole

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Also you can swing a chicken over your head and sing Yankee Doodle.... :)

It sure is fun having a Windows device in the house again!

(please all you insecure ones do not attack me, lighten up!!!)

I remember years ago I had a Linux box. No matter what the problem the solutions given by folks was to go into terminal mode and type "SUDO" and some arcane command. It amazed me (and still does) that people get so used of things being this way, they just accept it as normal. And even defend it!

Jake52

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to have this problem too. It seems that whenever the Surface Pro 2 goes to sleep and wakes up, it resets the "Full Charge Capacity" of the battery to whatever charge it's currently holding. Because this it probably thinks the battery is at 100% even though it's less then full. For example, I just opened the command prompt and ran a battery report (type powercfg /batteryreport) and here's what came up...
DESIGN CAPACITY 42,002 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 22,252 mWh
It's a little under 50% capacity but my battery meter is showing 90%.

I'll try the reset trick but hopefully they'll get this fixed soon.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is working on a fix. Expect one sometimes in January (possible med or end). So just, at worst, 1 month of annoyance.
I guess the long delay is due that Microsoft will now really test the firmware update, and not just release it, which is good. If it means more things fixed beside the battery, this is great news.

Amorica75

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
This is probably already known, but I just communicated with Microsoft and was told the firmware fix is coming on 1/14/14. Take that for what it's worth.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss