Is it safe to leave your Surface always plugged in?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I heard awhile back from my dad that leaving my laptop on the charger all the time would kill my battery's overall live...Is it a bad idea to leave my Surface on the charger all the time, during use and when it is not in use or will it kill the battery's lifetime?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well the way laptops and anything else generally works is that the power goes to the battery, which then provides power to the device, in case something is unplugged.
That puts constant, but not deadly wear on the battery.
So if the laptop will be plugged in for a while its a good idea to remove the battery so it wont be used at all.

but with sealed batteries, you can't do that.
I don't really know what to recommend though in that case? maybe using it down a bit and then plugging it in? Itd be nice if there was a switch to bypass the battery entirely, but that wont be the most practical.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is that battery technology has come a long way and they're "Smarter" now. So you no longer have to be concerned about this issue. I believe I read about this in a recent issue of Consumer Reports.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Bremen Cole

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Leave it plugged in, but..... once a month unplug and let the battery go down to 10% or so, then replug. It's just a good idea for a battery to cycle every once in a while. Doing that your battery should las 5 years or so.....

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Leave it plugged in, but..... once a month unplug and let the battery go down to 10% or so, then replug. It's just a good idea for a battery to cycle every once in a while. Doing that your battery should las 5 years or so.....

I agree with you. The battery does need to be "Exercised".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Alright thanks everyone! I used to hate when i picked up my Surface RT and it was just dead, even though i hadn't even been using it.....so with my new surface i said i was going to keep it on the charger always.

But i'll be sure to excersise it haha

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Well the way laptops and anything else generally works is that the power goes to the battery, which then provides power to the device, in case something is unplugged.
That is not true, unless you buy those 400$ laptop, or get screwed over. High-end laptop (and pretty much all business class system since a very long time ago, as the market is willing to cash out more for smarter engineering through the system, unlike the consumer that only seeks for the highest numbers on the specs, and lowest possible). When plugged in, the system runs on the power plug. In some systems, its more obvious, by hearing minor interferences when using headphone, due the ground is used by the power adapter, and commonly shared by the system ground.

In addition, some systems won't charge the battery past ~95%. Meaning you'll see it goes to 100%, but as soon as you'll unplug it, it will show a percentage between 99% and ~95%. You get only 100% charge, if the battery is charging from bellow ~95%. (Note: The percentage value, I put "~95%" as it varies between manufactures)
This reduces the strain on the battery if you plug and unplug a moment later.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
No expert here.
Been my experience with device batteries to run them into the red then recharge.
I say this because the better quality batteries seem to react better to being exercised\conditioned with discharge-recharge.

Almost sure most devices of late have software driven charging regimes that make the most of a batteries life cycle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos