SP2 or Lenovo Yoga 11s

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I figured i'd ask this question here(And on another forum I also frequent occasionally).

I am looking at the SP2 or Lenovo Yoga 11s. I have never owned a lenovo product before so I can't say much about their quality and customer support and all that good stuff.
I have owned a Surface RT so i know Microsoft has good quality products(from my experience).

I love the Surface but i remember being in the store and glancing at the Lenovo Yoga 11s and i love the crazy designs...It can be a laptop, it can be a tablet, it can be like a stand or even tent version.

It's a cool looking product and it has a slightly bigger screen at 11.6 inches and also runs full windows 8 as well.

From what I can tell it has the same/similar specs...it has a better webcam but i don't even cam like that as well as a full fledge keyboard(though i have grown accustomed to my Touch cover)

So would you recommend a Surface over a Yoga?

For me, I am a student and I'll soon be purchasing an office subscription with 365.

i'd like to be able to play games from the store, the few i download.

AS well as I enjoy reading with Nook & Kindle books....The Surface RT was my main reading tool and sometimes it can be a bit cumbersome using it to read but it wasn't too bad. Not horrible but i have also contemplated buying an actual Nook or Kindle for the perfect reading experience. I imagine the lenovo would be even bigger.

But do you recommend a Surface over a yoga or a Yoga over a surface? :)

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The Yoga Pro 2 does not have a digitize pen. The ThinkPad Yoga has one, but a small one.
Lenovo system have the Ctrl and Fn (Function) flipped, so its up to you it will be a problem or not.

The ThinkPad Yoga uses a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to control the back light of the LCD panel, instead of using a more expensive, dimming circuit.
I can't comment on the Yoga 2.
PWM controlled back light means that the backlight illuminates at full power, then off, then back on at full power, then off... and repeats continuously. The rate varies based on the intensity of the backlight. Lower the brightness, the more flickering you have. This is normal thing that manufacture do on budget and entry level monitors and laptops. Most people don't have a problem, but they are people that causes them headaches after prolong usage. Some have trouble reading the screen.. they are sensitive to it. They don't see the flickering, but they have this side effect. So it depends on you.

Depending on the camera and brightness level, you can sometimes catch it when filming it. In this review, you can see this in action.
Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga Review - YouTube
However, the reviewer doesn't know about PWM controlled backlight. this is something you get to know when reading a lot of in depth monitor reviews, and of course have a bit deeper knowledge of an LCD computer monitor.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Interesting that you have narrowed your choices down to these 2 devices.
We are testing both in the field. Looking for early feedback and performance scores.

I predict we will not end up with a winner. Instead, there will be those that prefer each. And rightfully so. Both machines are impressive. :)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think i'll probably stick with Surface...While I like the look and design of the Lenovo, i think the weight and bigger screen might be a bit uncomfortable to try and use it as a tablet and E-reader.
Interesting that you have narrowed your choices down to these 2 devices.
We are testing both in the field. Looking for early feedback and performance scores.

I predict we will not end up with a winner. Instead, there will be those that prefer each. And rightfully so. Both machines are impressive. :)

The Yoga Pro 2 does not have a digitize pen. The ThinkPad Yoga has one, but a small one.
Lenovo system have the Ctrl and Fn (Function) flipped, so its up to you it will be a problem or not.

The ThinkPad Yoga uses a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to control the back light of the LCD panel, instead of using a more expensive, dimming circuit.
I can't comment on the Yoga 2.
PWM controlled back light means that the backlight illuminates at full power, then off, then back on at full power, then off... and repeats continuously. The rate varies based on the intensity of the backlight. Lower the brightness, the more flickering you have. This is normal thing that manufacture do on budget and entry level monitors and laptops. Most people don't have a problem, but they are people that causes them headaches after prolong usage. Some have trouble reading the screen.. they are sensitive to it. They don't see the flickering, but they have this side effect. So it depends on you.

Depending on the camera and brightness level, you can sometimes catch it when filming it. In this review, you can see this in action.
Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga Review - YouTube
However, the reviewer doesn't know about PWM controlled backlight. this is something you get to know when reading a lot of in depth monitor reviews, and of course have a bit deeper knowledge of an LCD computer monitor.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think i'll probably stick with Surface...While I like the look and design of the Lenovo, i think the weight and bigger screen might be a bit uncomfortable to try and use it as a tablet and E-reader.

Yea, I'm fortunate and can have almost anything I desire. It's legitimate for me to taste test almost anything that might be appropriate for our company enterprise.

I'm enjoying the SP2. Fits my mobile lifestyle very well. Even as a motorcyclist, it's a friendly package.

At the official work desk, I simply plug it into a port Replicator and convert to standard Workstation methods. Albeit I use s 22" Touchscreen. So I still can't resist the picture-gesture login. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon