Why the lack of Surface Pro 2 production?

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Okay.....I realize Microsoft got burnt with having too many units on hand of the Surface 1 (not sure which versions), and thus a pretty large loss. However, I don't understand them not having a better handle on production of the Surface Pro 2. I'm no marketing guy, but it seems like they would have done some type of marketing to try and get a better handle on how many units to make. I have been patiently waiting for a SP2 with 256 GB to come back in stock and beginning to wonder if there isn't some issue they are fixing or updating and therefore the delay? I would assume they aren't putting these together in someone's back yard garage, correct? :smile: And I'm not sure how long it takes to make a SP2, but seems rather slow unless they really aren't producing any at the moment. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Does make you wonder.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Actually, this kind of marketing only works for the first few months.... after that it hurts them as people seek for something else.. a competing product.
It is clear that Microsoft is producing the Surface Pro 2 in limited quantity. But it is also selling well. Not iPad well, that's for sure... but well enough to say it did sell, well.. well.
It also seams that Microsoft uses parts that are in high demand and so back ordered. That is why you can randomly get the Intel U4300 CPU, as all OEMs are using the U4200, like Surface Pro 2 original CPU. (I've had the U4300 on a faulty unit, so I had to return... now having the U4200, I can safe to say that battery life is a bit better and the system is noticeably cooler operating to the touch (not saying that it was burning hot before, but a bit warmer... the fan did quick more easily than with what I have now).. so if you wondered, you have ups and downs for it).

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Best buy has that model available. At least online. And if you are wanting Microsoft's warranty. I'm pretty sure you can register your surface online and purchase Microsoft's warranty. But I would check into that some more before doing so. So there isn't any reason to wait unless you have Microsoft gift cards or don't have BestBuy available in your country.

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.....will check ASAP on Best Buy. It was not available on Sunday when I checked (local BB as well) and the person I spoke to said it wasn't available online either. But thanks, will check for that now.

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well.....the SP2 256gb version is now in stock on the Microsoft website, for what's it's worth. I did manage to get one ordered. I did try the Best Buy website and apparently it looked like it was available online, but then it directed you to an in store availability check, and it wasn't available in store anywhere near me. So....nice to see the product available again. Fingers crossed that it will be what I was hoping for.

DJoneda1

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
And it could just be that they're selling fast. I bought one in early January but that was after a lot of chasing to find one in stock. I spoke with the sales guy for a while and his take was that they had been hammered before Christmas, selling tons of Surface tablets, especially Pro's. Also interesting was that there seemed to be a distinct lack of similar excitement around iPad sales.

Bremen Cole

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
For those of you living in places where you have a hard time getting one, I'll sell my 128 for $800 plus $15 shipping. Includes extra power adapter and type 2 cover and nice leather sleave.... just sayin' :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon