Chrome SUCKS on my Surface!

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I like IE11 a lot, but I like to try other browsers too, like Chrome. I noticed, however, that Chrome doesn't like the Surface Pro 2. Windows 8 Mode doesn't work, and I get a lot of scaling issues, and things look really bad quality using Chrome. Funny because this is a 1080p display, while a W8.1 laptop I used with a 1366x768 display was able to use Chrome in Windows 8 Mode and didn't have scaling/quality issues.

What do I do? Is it the hardware acceleration? Google said something about that...

Screenshot (56).png

hubberttyler

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I'm pretty sure this is your problem so I'm going to do a small step by step tutorial

1: go to the desktop
2:swipe open the charms
3:settings
4: personalization
5:click "Display" in the newly opened window (lower left hand corner)
6:set you scaling to 125%. (or you want more space to work with and don't mind things being a bit tiny 100%)
7: it'll ask to sign out to apply changes. Accept.

This should fix if it. if it doesn't... well then I don't know. It works on my surface pro 1 in metro mode with the chrome OS like application just fine, I'm typing this out on it actually.

Good Luck.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Why you should not use Chrome:
-> Issues with Windows 8
-> Wants to force in it's ChromeOS on you
-> Does not support color profiles images
-> Does not support animated PNGs
-> Tracks everything you do, including when using private mode, and build a profile on you, as per the license agreement
-> It's aggressive design makes it abysmal for mobile devices (eats battery life)
-> Does not play nice on slow systems.
-> Always problem with Flash.

Use Firefox or IE instead

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Why you should not use Chrome:
-> Issues with Windows 8
-> Wants to force in it's ChromeOS on you
-> Does not support color profiles images
-> Does not support animated PNGs
-> Tracks everything you do, including when using private mode, and build a profile on you, as per the license agreement
-> It's aggressive design makes it abysmal for mobile devices (eats battery life)
-> Does not play nice on slow systems.
-> Always problem with Flash.

Use Firefox or IE instead

Didn't you look at my original post? I use IE most of the time. I just like to use Chrome sometimes. And on laptops with a normal ratio, it works fine. It just hates the Surface...

Sent NOT from my iPad using Tapatalk

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I'm pretty sure this is your problem so I'm going to do a small step by step tutorial

1: go to the desktop
2:swipe open the charms
3:settings
4: personalization
5:click "Display" in the newly opened window (lower left hand corner)
6:set you scaling to 125%. (or you want more space to work with and don't mind things being a bit tiny 100%)
7: it'll ask to sign out to apply changes. Accept.

This should fix if it. if it doesn't... well then I don't know. It works on my surface pro 1 in metro mode with the chrome OS like application just fine, I'm typing this out on it actually.

Good Luck.

Won't that make my display worse though? I mean, I don't want to make my display worse just to please Chrome.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Didn't you look at my original post? I use IE most of the time. I just like to use Chrome sometimes. And on laptops with a normal ratio, it works fine. It just hates the Surface...

I did. I am just speaking generally. If you really want to use Chrome, I suggest on a desktop only.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Chrome is still using the Windows XP Era GDI graphics libraries that didn't really support dpi scaling. Chrome is solidly stuck in the past, and that's the problem.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Actually he is correct. Google have showed complete hatred in Windows 8. They publicly said it.
They don't want to do a metro app, they don't want to support high DPI to not support Windows 8 (restarted I know). But as high resolution screens are coming to desktop space (4K displays), then they'll eventually be forced to support it.

You can try Chromium web browser, which is Chrome but open source, maybe that might work better?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Actually he is correct. Google have showed complete hatred in Windows 8. They publicly said it.
They don't want to do a metro app, they don't want to support high DPI to not support Windows 8 (restarted I know). But as high resolution screens are coming to desktop space (4K displays), then they'll eventually be forced to support it.

You can try Chromium web browser, which is Chrome but open source, maybe that might work better?

Can I see the link where they said that?

And I'll try that. Is it just the exact same as Chrome, just open source?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
From my understanding yes, and I believe they don't track every thing you do either... so at least you have that, but read the End User License Agreement, but I have not tried it.

I can't find the link. It's been too long and buried with threads of ChromeOS on Windows 8, or other unrelated things about Chrome.
You have Mozilla working on Firefox Metro (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-install-windows-8-metro-style-firefox), still a lot of work to do, however, but they started as soon as Win8 was released pretty much. You have IE obviously. Opera is busy changing it's core engine. Google on the other hand bashed Windows 8, and that's that. No metro version. Now they are pushing ChromeOS overlay on Windows 8, in the hope you'll like it better and get a ChromeBook instead of Windows 8.

That thing:
Chrome-Windows-8-App-1.jpg

jrac86

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if this is still an issue, but there is a way to make Chrome look better without changing the display of the entire desktop too. Go to the install directory for chrome (C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application), right click Chrome.exe and select properties. Under the compatibility tab, select "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". Restart chrome and it should look better - this will make the chrome window/text look smaller. If you want it bigger without the blurry-ness, go into chrome settings, click "show advanced settings" and change the page zoom to 125% or 150%. Makes chrome 100% usable again =)

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
No. Google actively does not like Windows 8, and state that ChromeOS is the way to go. This is an effort to promote ChromeOS.
This makes 0 sense, because Chrome OS is the horrible on a touch screen device. You are MUCH better off with Windows 8 desktop, at least you know... all your porgrams works. AND, your porgrams will work without a network connectikon. What is retarded, and short sited from Google, and shows you how a mess that company became: Android!!!! You have an OS right there! Designed for touch! Works with convertible devices (see ASUS Transformer), yet ChromeOS is the way to go?!. So you ae saying that Android sucks now? Like I don't get it.

And why would I use a web browser.. well an OS, that, (both) says in the License agreement, that my actions and web sites I visit are being tracked to target me advertisements, even when using the web browser privacy mode..

Not only that, but as a user of the old version of Chrome web browser, I can tell you that Chrome is getting progressively worse. It eats your battery life (it's not just me, reviews confirms this), it's more buggy then before, they push you other services that no one wants onto you (Google+), and lack polish and lacks motivation in improving things. It's like they don't care anymore, and just use it to push other services on to it, in the hope that you'll use it.

I found Firefox to be miles better than the old days of Firefox 3 and 4. White it's a bit slower than Chrome, on some sites, it's still smooth, no longer eats your memory, rarely crash, I find no problem with Flash plugin, they like Windows 8, and strive to support it. There is a metro version available in the beta and alpha version of Firefox. No tracking of what you visit, has all the features of Chrome, and doesn't eat your battery. Oh and the program is high DPI friendly. I think the only thing that it misses, a further improvement in smoother scrolling on demanding sites, and smooth zooming on the desktop version of Firefox (now it acts like you are doing Ctrl+[+] key combination, and not like IE), but I am sure it will come in the near future.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't use googles' chrome, so I don't know about that. Internet Explorer and Bing work great on my SurfacePro2. FireFox and Bing work well too.
Just my two cents.
Best Wishes, No Worries.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte