How can I afford a Surface Pro 2 by Fall 2014?

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
how much honestly do you think I could make from
- my laptop and surface
- ds lite
- desktop keyboard and mouse
- trumpet (which i no longer use because of school)
Laptop: what model / spec / condition / extras (case, power supply, spare batteries, original box etc)
DS Lite: condition / extras (case, games, power supply, spare stylus, original box etc)?
Keyboard and Mouse: what model / condition? (not that it matters - you'll get pennies unless it's a gaming keyboard and mouse like Razer or whatever)
Trumpet: make (a Bach Strad will be worth a lot more than a Besson for example) age / condition / extras (case, spare valves, corks etc)?

bills pies

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Laptop: what model / spec / condition / extras (case, power supply, spare batteries, original box etc)
DS Lite: condition / extras (case, games, power supply, spare stylus, original box etc)?
Keyboard and Mouse: what model / condition? (not that it matters - you'll get pennies unless it's a gaming keyboard and mouse like Razer or whatever)
Trumpet: make (a Bach Strad will be worth a lot more than a Besson for example) age / condition / extras (case, spare valves, corks etc)?

Laptop is the Compaq windows 8.1 350gb/4gb intel i3 HD graphics PC that cost me ?359 (i dont have the box)
Surface I could pack away and sell as new
Links to the keyboard and monitor
Monitor - 19 inch PC monitor with adjustable viewing angle and VGA support | Horsforth | Gumtree
Keyboard - Advanced Microsoft Keyboard with Number keypad, F lock and more advanced keys | Horsforth | Gumtree
Trumpet I may not sell, but its a possibility.

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Without the model number it's difficult to ascertain what people are paying for your laptop second hand. Based on the info you've given, eBay seems to suggest ?100-200:
compaq core i3 4gb laptop | eBay

Surface RT - I assume 32gb and you don't have a touch/type cover with it? About ?120-140:
surface rt in iPads/Tablets & eBook Readers | eBay

DS Lite - ?10-30:
DS Lite in Consoles | eBay

The keyboard and monitor are junk - they're more valuable to keep and use as a monitor and keyboard to be honest - no-one buys second hand keyboards, or if they do, I wouldn't expect to get more than a fiver for it. The monitor you'd maybe get ?20-?30 for:
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...v%2B-freeview%26_sacat%3D58058&token=fHFeCBIX

Bear in mind that's at today's prices - things will be worth a bit less in six months' time. I also find people start paying less for this kind of thing on eBay (I've sold about 400 things on eBay myself since 2004) over summer (cos they're on holiday or saving for holiday), and towards the end of the year because they're saving for Christmas (unless you have something rare or difficult to get hold of like the latest must-have toy or gadget, in which case people pay over the odds). To be on the conservative side, I'd estimate you can expect to get about ?300 for Laptop, Surface, Monitor, and DS Lite.

bills pies

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Without the model number it's difficult to ascertain what people are paying for your laptop second hand. Based on the info you've given, eBay seems to suggest ?100-200:
compaq core i3 4gb laptop | eBay

Surface RT - I assume 32gb and you don't have a touch/type cover with it? About ?120-140:
surface rt in iPads/Tablets & eBook Readers | eBay

DS Lite - ?10-30:
DS Lite in Consoles | eBay

The keyboard and monitor are junk - they're more valuable to keep and use as a monitor and keyboard to be honest - no-one buys second hand keyboards, or if they do, I wouldn't expect to get more than a fiver for it. The monitor you'd maybe get ?20-?30 for:
19" monitor -tv -freeview in Computers/Tablets & Networking | eBay

Bear in mind that's at today's prices - things will be worth a bit less in six months' time. I also find people start paying less for this kind of thing on eBay (I've sold about 400 things on eBay myself since 2004) over summer (cos they're on holiday or saving for holiday), and towards the end of the year because they're saving for Christmas (unless you have something rare or difficult to get hold of like the latest must-have toy or gadget, in which case people pay over the odds). To be on the conservative side, I'd estimate you can expect to get about ?300 for Laptop, Surface, Monitor, and DS Lite.

:( I hoped that they would sell for more than that
I thought the Surface would sell at ?200 because when i put it in the box it's like brand new, and with a PC reset, it will be almost in brand-new condition

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
:( I hoped that they would sell for more than that
I thought the Surface would sell at ?200 because when i put it in the box it's like brand new, and with a PC reset, it will be almost in brand-new condition
You can buy them new for ?279 mate (?299 for 64Gb), with a free touch cover (and more importantly a 12-month warranty):
Surface

And you can get ?50 cashback via Quidco at the moment:
Microsoft Store Voucher Codes, Cashback & Discount Codes | Quidco

Net result: Brand new Surface RT 32Gb with Touch Cover and full year's warranty for ?229.

Last edited:

bills pies

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
You can buy them new for ?279 mate (?299 for 64Gb), with a free touch cover (and more importantly a 12-month warranty):
Surface

And you can get ?50 cashback via Quidco at the moment:
Microsoft Store Voucher Codes, Cashback & Discount Codes | Quidco

Net result: Brand new Surface RT 32Gb with Touch Cover and full year's warranty for ?229.

So do you think I should wait till January 2015 to buy the Pro 2?
I see what you say about the surface, so should I put it on gumtree at 200 start with microSd so that I will sell it for around 180? People would probably pay that as someone gave me 90 for a used to death Xbox 360 slim a month before Xbone

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
So do you think I should wait till January 2015 to buy the Pro 2?
I see what you say about the surface, so should I put it on gumtree at 200 start with microSd so that I will sell it for around 180? People would probably pay that as someone gave me 90 for a used to death Xbox 360 slim a month before Xbone
You might well get more than ?300 for your old kit; I'd just set your expectations low, so you're motivated to earn at least ?500 over summer. I'd probably aim to earn the full amount, and not rely on what you may or may not get for your old stuff - then whatever you get is a bonus and you can put it aside for a rainy day or buy some nice accessories like a Type Cover, a case, a (legit) copy of Office (you know Office doesn't come with the Surface Pro or Pro 2 like it does with the RT right?), USB3 external hard drive, SDHC memory card, headphones, Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows or whatever.

Personally, I'd want to have the kit ready for the start of term so I could load up all my textbooks, and set my lesson schedule up in an app like this:
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Fstudy-planner%2F9wzdncrdqhx6&token=YeZz4wFU

There's no denying that you'll be able to get a Surface Pro 2 cheaper when the 3rd gen ones come out - but who knows when that will be? What if it's not until April 2015?

bills pies

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
You might well get more than ?300 for your old kit; I'd just set your expectations low, so you're motivated to earn at least ?500 over summer. I'd probably aim to earn the full amount, and not rely on what you may or may not get for your old stuff - then whatever you get is a bonus and you can put it aside for a rainy day or buy some nice accessories like a Type Cover, a case, a (legit) copy of Office (you know Office doesn't come with the Surface Pro or Pro 2 like it does with the RT right?), USB3 external hard drive, SDHC memory card, headphones, Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows or whatever.

I'm quite lucky that I already have some HD headphones and a type cover 2 coming soon. I will need to look into office though.

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Just a tip: Really, you can get through college with your RT unless you're studying graphics, or CAD, or Statistics or something, so need desktop software like Photoshop, AutoCAD or Minitab. And even if you do need desktop apps, you've already got a laptop.

Your RT already has Office on it, it's lighter and has better battery life than a Pro, and you already have one (plus a Type Cover 2 on the way).

Surface Pros are cool, but you know what's cooler than a Surface Pro? A car.

If I were your age again, instead of spending all my money on gadgets that I didn't really need, which I quickly got bored of, I'd save up for driving lessons and a car, not a Sony MZ-R50 Minidisc Player (yes, I'm THAT old). If you start saving now, then by your 17th birthday in exactly a year's time you should have enough to get you up and running.

In fact, I'd probably try and get some kind of part-time apprenticeship at a garage (with absolutely no intention of becoming a mechanic), because it would have yielded a lifetime of useful skills which would have saved me thousands - my last car bill was over ?1100 (not even exaggerating). The one before that was about ?800. The one before that was just over ?1000. A lot of that stuff I'd have been able to do myself if I'd spent less time trying to overclock my Pentium 75mhz and more time learning which end of a spanner is which.

Why? People like people with cars. Merely having a car will get you invited to more parties (largely because you'll be able to give people without cars - which will be most people around your age - lifts, but the point is: more parties!) More parties means meeting more people, and meeting more people increases your chances of finding one who might like to get naked with you. This should be your number one priority for at least the next 5 years or so.

Moral of the story: Surface Pros are not important in the grand scheme of things. For now - if I were you, I'd focus on getting a car so you can be everywhere and bang everything!

I know you're not going to listen - I wouldn't have listened to me either. But in about 10-12 years time, when you're sitting there sorting through a box of old gadgets and your car's at the garage being fixed, and you've settled with a partner that deep down you know you could have done a bit better if only you'd tried out a few more, you'll remember this thread and think, "aw man, that dude was actually talking some sense."

Last edited:

bills pies

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Just a tip: Really, you can get through college with your RT unless you're studying graphics, or CAD, or Statistics or something, so need desktop software like Photoshop, AutoCAD or Minitab. And even if you do need desktop apps, you've already got a laptop.

Your RT already has Office on it, it's lighter and has better battery life than a Pro, and you already have one (plus a Type Cover 2 on the way).

Surface Pros are cool, but you know what's cooler than a Surface Pro? A car.

If I were your age again, instead of spending all my money on gadgets that I didn't really need, which I quickly got bored of, I'd save up for driving lessons and a car, not a Sony MZ-R50 Minidisc Player (yes, I'm THAT old). If you start saving now, then by your 17th birthday in exactly a year's time you should have enough to get you up and running.

In fact, I'd probably try and get some kind of part-time apprenticeship at a garage (with absolutely no intention of becoming a mechanic), because it would have yielded a lifetime of useful skills which would have saved me thousands - my last car bill was over ?1100 (not even exaggerating). The one before that was about ?800. The one before that was just over ?1000. A lot of that stuff I'd have been able to do myself if I'd spent less time trying to overclock my Pentium 75mhz and more time learning which end of a spanner is which.

Why? People like people with cars. Merely having a car will get you invited to more parties (largely because you'll be able to give people without cars - which will be most people around your age - lifts, but the point is: more parties!) More parties means meeting more people, and meeting more people increases your chances of finding one who might like to get naked with you. This should be your number one priority for at least the next 5 years or so.

Moral of the story: Surface Pros are not important in the grand scheme of things. For now - if I were you, I'd focus on getting a car so you can be everywhere and bang everything!

I know you're not going to listen - I wouldn't have listened to me either. But in about 10-12 years time, when you're sitting there sorting through a box of old gadgets and your car's at the garage being fixed, and you've settled with a partner that deep down you know you could have done a bit better if only you'd tried out a few more, you'll remember this thread and think, "aw man, that dude was actually talking some sense."

Car insurance in the UK costs too much for people my age.
Also, wtf? Lol, I like your optimism, but nobody would ever invite me to a party anyway. And nobody would want to do those things with me
The only reason I want the pro 2 is simply so I can get rid of my laptop and surface rt, because my laptop is too heavy and my surface only has windows rt

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Car insurance in the UK costs too much for people my age.
You don't need insurance to learn to drive with a qualified instructor - their insurance will cover the vehicle in the event of an accident. For extra practice outside of lessons, your parent(s) can list you as a named driver on their car/insurance, and as long as they're with you while you're practising (you need to have a qualified driver over the age of 21 who has been driving for a minimum of 3 years with you at all times until you pass your test), you'll be covered. It'll take about a year to learn to drive, sometimes more - so you don't need to worry about getting insurance until you're 18 at least.

Insurance is always expensive when you start, regardless of age - I didn't start driving until I was 28; my insurance in the first year was about ?1500, more than the value of the car I was insuring. So the sooner you get it out of the way, the better. Each year that passes where you haven't had an accident you get what's called a 'no-claims bonus' - this reduces your insurance every year. As long as you get a car that's a good few years old, isn't fancy and has a 1.0l or smaller engine, it shouldn't be too ridiculous. You can also opt to take the Pass Plus course after passing your driving test, which can reduce your insurance by up to 30%:
https://www.gov.uk/pass-plus/overview

You can apply for your provisional license at the Post Office two months before your 17th birthday to ensure it turns up on time, but you can't operate a vehicle until the day of your 17th birthday, and only with a qualified driver accompanying you as set out above (21 years of age / 3 years or more experience behind the wheel).

I'm pretty sure your parent(s) would be ridiculously impressed if you told them you wanted to get a part-time job to save up for driving lessons over the next year, and would help you along the way; it would show a level of maturity and forward-thinking that makes parents well up with pride. Nothing opens a parent's wallet faster than making them feel like they're doing a good job.

Also, wtf? Lol, I like your optimism, but nobody would ever invite me to a party anyway.
That's cos you don't have a car.

And nobody would want to do those things with me
That's cos you don't get invited to enough parties.

The only reason I want the pro 2 is simply so I can get rid of my laptop and surface rt, because my laptop is too heavy and my surface only has windows rt
All I'm hearing is that you have two perfectly good computers already, and you want to spend twice as much as your existing computers are worth to get the same functionality but in a convenient single device. There are much better things you could be doing with ?800.

bills pies

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
You don't need insurance to learn to drive with a qualified instructor - their insurance will cover the vehicle in the event of an accident. For extra practice outside of lessons, your parent(s) can list you as a named driver on their car/insurance, and as long as they're with you while you're practising (you need to have a qualified driver over the age of 21 who has been driving for a minimum of 3 years with you at all times until you pass your test), you'll be covered. It'll take about a year to learn to drive, sometimes more - so you don't need to worry about getting insurance until you're 18 at least.

Insurance is always expensive when you start, regardless of age - I didn't start driving until I was 28; my insurance in the first year was about ?1500, more than the value of the car I was insuring. So the sooner you get it out of the way, the better. Each year that passes where you haven't had an accident you get what's called a 'no-claims bonus' - this reduces your insurance every year. As long as you get a car that's a good few years old, isn't fancy and has a 1.0l or smaller engine, it shouldn't be too ridiculous. You can also opt to take the Pass Plus course after passing your driving test, which can reduce your insurance by up to 30%:
https://www.gov.uk/pass-plus/overview

You can apply for your provisional license at the Post Office two months before your 17th birthday to ensure it turns up on time, but you can't operate a vehicle until the day of your 17th birthday, and only with a qualified driver accompanying you as set out above (21 years of age / 3 years or more experience behind the wheel).

I'm pretty sure your parent(s) would be ridiculously impressed if you told them you wanted to get a part-time job to save up for driving lessons over the next year, and would help you along the way; it would show a level of maturity and forward-thinking that makes parents well up with pride. Nothing opens a parent's wallet faster than making them feel like they're doing a good job.

That's cos you don't have a car.

That's cos you don't get invited to enough parties.

All I'm hearing is that you have two perfectly good computers already, and you want to spend twice as much as your existing computers are worth to get the same functionality but in a convenient single device. There are much better things you could be doing with ?800.

My laptop only has an Intel i3 and its really slow, the i5 in the Pro 2 would be a lot better for gaming and for working using word, PowerPoint and excel

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
My laptop only has an Intel i3 and its really slow,
You know what else is really slow? Walking.

Also, the processor isn't the whole issue - if you drop a decent SSD in there / upgrade the RAM if possible, it will fly, and won't cost ?800.

the i5 in the Pro 2 would be a lot better for gaming and for working using word, PowerPoint and excel
I don't dispute that - I'm just saying that in terms of actual tangible improvements to your quality of life, learning to drive is way more rewarding and useful than being able to play Elder Scrolls on low settings on a 10.6" screen. Learning how to fix cars would make you a God amongst your peers, save you shedloads on garage bills over your lifetime, and you'd earn some cash along the way.

As I said earlier, I don't expect you to pay the slightest attention to anything I've said - you've already decided you want a Surface Pro 2 and to you that's the most important aspiration you have right now. I'm just trying to tell you I went down that path, buying gadgets that I genuinely believed I absolutely had to have, and after about 10 years I realised they didn't make me happy and they didn't improve my life like being able to drive has done. Don't fall into the trap of believing 'if I buy <insert product here> my life will be better'.

Getting invited to (actual real) places, actually being able to get there, and meeting (actual real) new and interesting people is what life's all about. Then I found out how expensive it can be maintaining a car; hence the bit about if I could have my time again, I'd learn to drive sooner, I'd learn how to do basic/intermediate maintenance, and I'd waste less money on shiny electronics that are always obsolete within a year.

Last edited:

bills pies

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
You know what else is really slow? Walking.

Also, the processor isn't the whole issue - if you drop a decent SSD in there / upgrade the RAM if possible, it will fly, and won't cost ?800.

I don't dispute that - I'm just saying that in terms of actual tangible improvements to your quality of life, learning to drive is way more rewarding and useful than being able to play Elder Scrolls on low settings on a 10.6" screen. Learning how to fix cars would make you a God amongst your peers, save you shedloads on garage bills over your lifetime, and you'd earn some cash along the way.

As I said earlier, I don't expect you to pay the slightest attention to anything I've said - you've already decided you want a Surface Pro 2 and to you that's the most important aspiration you have right now. I'm just trying to tell you I went down that path, buying gadgets that I genuinely believed I absolutely had to have, and after about 10 years I realised they didn't make me happy and they didn't improve my life like being able to drive has done. Don't fall into the trap of believing 'if I buy <insert product here> my life will be better'.

Getting invited to (actual real) places, actually being able to get there, and meeting (actual real) new and interesting people is what life's all about. Then I found out how expensive it can be maintaining a car; hence the bit about if I could have my time again, I'd learn to drive sooner, I'd learn how to do basic/intermediate maintenance, and I'd waste less money on shiny electronics that are always obsolete within a year.

I'm pretty certain I wont get a car until I have a career. As for sex, I don't care for it.
If I got the Pro 2, I would keep it until at least Fall 2016

hermantj

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
As for sex, I don't care for it.
Liar!!!

And evylrob would say : "That's because you don't have a car".
Variant : "That's because you don't meet girls (or guys) that make you care about it. And that's because you don't go to parties. That's because you?re not invited to parties. That's because you don't have a car."

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty certain I wont get a car until I have a career.
That's cool - I'd still recommend learning to drive sooner rather than later and get it out of the way; it's much easier to learn things when you're younger, not to mention a lot easier finding the time to do so. I certainly wouldn't rule out trying to get some kind of job at a local garage over summer to learn about maintenance and earn some money at the same time.

If you really couldn't give a toss about cars, and you earn ?800 or more over summer, I'd put it in the bank until you really need it (like for when you want to go to Uni or just move out into your own place) rather than spunking it on a fancy computer.

As for sex, I don't care for it.
Who said anything about that? I was just talking about the freedom of being able to get yourself to places, and enjoying the company of other people being more fulfilling than a Surface Pro 2. Even just driving a car, operating what is essentially a powerful machine you can sit in, is pretty empowering.

If I got the Pro 2, I would keep it until at least Fall 2016
I'm sure you would, and maybe beyond, but only because you can't realistically afford to keep upgrading every year (not many people can) - when I said 'shiny electronics that are always obsolete within a year' what I meant was - buying luxury electronic items serves only to make you want to buy a nicer luxury electronic item in about a year (or two)'s time when it comes out - it's a never-ending cycle! They're almost addictive; they're the best thing ever for a week or two, maybe three, you get a real buzz, then they just become normal, everyday appliances. You were excited about your DS Lite, Compaq laptop and Surface RT once!

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Get a part-time job for those 10 weeks (or less if you sell you current kit) that pays at least ?80 a week (roughly 20 hours a week at ?3.72 current minimum wage for under-18s) - then quit when you've got enough - job done.

Job Centre, temp agencies, supermarkets are your friend. Don't tell them you're on summer break though - say you're taking a year out for work experience/save up before going back to education.

Yes, lie to them. Lying to an employer is never bad advice.

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, lie to them. Lying to an employer is never bad advice.
Sarcasm is both constructive and demonstrates your intellectual superiority. It will almost always impress people on the internet.

Whilst I agree lying is bad m'kay, has anyone ever honestly answered the question, "Why do you want to work here?" in an interview? Of course not, because the reason you want to work at Gap is not because you have a raging hard-on for khakis, but because you're broke, and 50% of all the Gap employees you've ever met seem to be missing a few chromosomes so you reckon you can probably excel there.

When they ask, "What is your biggest weakness?" you know the answer is your love of methamphetamine, but in the interview, you're going to say that being organised isn't your strongest point, so you implemented a time management system that really helped your organisational skills.

No-one lies more during an interview than the employer, anyway.

Last edited:

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Sarcasm is both constructive and demonstrates your intellectual superiority. It will almost always impress people on the internet.

You confuse me with criticizing sarcasm by being sarcastic. Or you aren't sarcastic, then you confuse me even more.

I like the sex part of this thread, very interesting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss