Headphones Port

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one that thinks that this should be "lower" (I mean probably below the USB port when in landscape mode).

When using it with a cover keyboard having the headphones cable sticking out from the top seems just weird to me. I don't know if I am alone in that one. :winktongue:

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Heh, I just found something that annoys me even more than the headphones port.

I am a computer engineer and find myself using putty (kitty) frequently. I need an insert key on my type cover! :(

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The headphone port is properly located.
Use the Surface Pro 1/2 as a tablet, and use the thumb keyboard. If you used headphones, I would wish you good luck. It's like using it as I mentioned with a USB flash drive.
No Microsoft has thought it well.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I am a computer engineer and find myself using putty (kitty) frequently. I need an insert key on my type cover! :(
I don't understand what you mean by "key". For typing a password in a tablet mode, you click on the keyboard button next to the clock. It will display an on screen keyboard, which will allow you to type your password or any command you want in Putty.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Properly located for you, not for me. Different strokes for different people. I hate dealing in absolutes.

I think you went on a tangent on the type cover that I don't understand. If you read my post again you will see I did not mention the onscreen keyboard at all. The type cover does not have an insert key (neither does the onscreen one but I wasn't expecting much from that one). Most keyboards have an insert key:

Insert key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

640px-Insertpad.svg.png

In putty/kitty the combination to paste text is <shift+insert>. I find myself having to do the long right click press to get things pasted. I find this less than ideal since I can do it much faster with the keyboard shortcut. At the moment I am trying to find out if I can replace this shortcut.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
oh Insert Key. Not inserting a key. Ha. Personally I am happy that the Insert key and scroll lock keys are gone, about time.
As for the Insert key, you can look into a software that remaps keys. You can see if you change F8 to insert or something. Maybe you can override the search, share, Device or setting keys to do Insert.

As for the headphone plug. I really don't see how you are holding the device without having it drop on you. And I don't get what you are asking. They are not going to do a sliding headphone plug. The current location makes sense and reflects how most people hold a tablet computer. If you hold it at the center or bottom, the headphone jack is not on your way. If you hold it toward the top, I feel like I am going to drop it, and I can't interact with the on screen keyboard. Sorry, I am just not seeing it. :S

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I did find about software to remap keys but I am not too fond of that idea. First, I'll see if I can replace the shortcut. If not, I am sure I will find a way to adapt or circumvent.

As far as the headphones go, we can just agree to disagree, you like it the way it is, and that's fine. That's why I asked in the first post if I was the only one that was bothered by this since I found no one else complaining about it. Not everyone uses a device in the same manner.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99