I have both the Surface RT and the Surface Pro 2. On the RT, just opening the keyboard (folding it open) will cause the machine to wake up and show the lock screen. And it appears almost instantly.

But on the SP2, I have to tap the power button to have it wake up. Do I have the wrong setting? Plus, when I tap the power button to wake it up, the Surface word pops on the screen and the loading circle comes out for a couple of seconds and then I'm at the lock screen. I'd love the SP2 to be instant on like the RT.

Plus, for some reason, the SP2 wakes up in my backpack a number of times. My RT never does that. I assume that it's because the power button of the SP2 gets tapped during transport in my bag. But for some reason, the RT doesn't show that behavior.
    05-18-2014 06:30 AM
    I have both the Surface RT and the Surface Pro 2. On the RT, just opening the keyboard (folding it open) will cause the machine to wake up and show the lock screen. And it appears almost instantly.

But on the SP2, I have to tap the power button to have it wake up. Do I have the wrong setting? Plus, when I tap the power button to wake it up, the Surface word pops on the screen and the loading circle comes out for a couple of seconds and then I'm at the lock screen. I'd love the SP2 to be instant on like the RT.

Plus, for some reason, the SP2 wakes up in my backpack a number of times. My RT never does that. I assume that it's because the power button of the SP2 gets tapped during transport in my bag. But for some reason, the RT doesn't show that behavior.
    I wouldn't know about the open-to-wake thing (I know it can turn your display on but not wake it from sleep), but I had the same issue with my SP2 as it would keep on turning on in my bag and draining the battery. I ended up going into Device Manager and preventing both the trackpad and keyboard on the type cover from waking the device from sleep (it's an option if you right-click and go to Properties). Also try going to the command prompt and typing the following:

powercfg -energy

This will generate a report that can tell you if any system services, drivers or programs are preventing the computer from waking or sleeping
    05-19-2014 01:24 AM
    after doing a little research, I found my answer to the first part.

the reason the surface rt can instant wake by opening the keyboard is ARM supports Connected Standby. Connected Standby is why tablets/phones have instant on. Haswell CPUs do not support connected standby. Intel is adding Connected Standby to its future CPUs. ehh. not a major deal I guess. But it'd be awfully nice to just open the keyboard and have the system fully awake.

but for the second part, I'll check out your tips.
    05-19-2014 03:57 AM