Surface Pro 3 (worth the upgrade?)

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I assume this thread will be moved to a Surface Pro 3 forum eventually, but I would like to know who is planning on upgrading to SP3? I use my Pro 2 at the office as my primary computer (hooked up to a USB hub, monitor, mouse, keyboard and portable hard drive). I use it as a laptop but rarely use it as a tablet because it is frankly big and bulky and I'm hoping that the new one improves on these issues. Anyone making the switch?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well we can't really judge yet for sure since we don't have much to play with right now. Maybe there will be some game changing plot twist!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Well we can't really judge yet for sure since we don't have much to play with right now. Maybe there will be some game changing plot twist!
Same here. One thing for sure, I won't be venturing any further out into RT waters with my dollars. Just as well leave my money on the roof of my car and hit the interstate. lol. But I'm thinking with an i7 processor in the Surface 3, you'll probably never see a boot screen.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd be amazed if the CPUs turned out to be Broadwells but I'm very doubtful. I'm holding out until then.

ETA: Might be a release of having the new "Devil's Canyon" chips? First 2 in 1 topping at 4.4Ghz?

Last edited:

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I've been looking at the pro 2 for awhile, but I've held out in the hope that the 3 would be announced. Now that it nearly has been (pray the rumors are right), I'm very excited to see the specifics. I have a few concerns though:
1. Price (those supposed prices seem a bit high despite the high-end hardware)
2. Size (the 2's size isn't perfect, but 12 in would be perfect!)
3. Thickness, heat, and noise (I hope it's thin, cool, and quiet)

If it meets most of those....I'm goin for it!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Same here. One thing for sure, I won't be venturing any further out into RT waters with my dollars. Just as well leave my money on the roof of my car and hit the interstate. lol.

I literally did that with my RT. But I am way more interested in a new Surface RT then Pro. RT does everything I need and is way cheaper.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
yeah, it's not worth the upgrade from an SP2 unless it's a new chip generation (Broadwell). unless you really need a larger screen. I'm perfectly content with the SP2 screen size. with pinch to zoom, it's not a big deal except for programs that lack good touch (desktop programs, Chrome, etc.).

I do use my SP2 as both a tablet and a laptop. Yes, it's not portable like my Surface RT or my iPad 2 or my Android tablet. But it's still the most enjoyable computing device (it's so fast!!!), and the go-to device for overall work (though my RT is my daily on-the-go machine because of the battery life, the lightness, etc.).

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Incredibly interesting.

On the one hand I love the new thinness/weight. On the other hand I am not sure I would want a larger device.

I just got my SP2 two months ago. To justify getting this I would have to sell my Pro2 for a good price.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
No way will I upgrade. But I upgrade off need and not want. My SP2 still does everything I need it to do.

I do wonder if that SP2 will support that new fancy pen. Looks like it'll be more precise that the current pen. I'm eager to find out more information.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Same here. One thing for sure, I won't be venturing any further out into RT waters with my dollars. Just as well leave my money on the roof of my car and hit the interstate. lol. But I'm thinking with an i7 processor in the Surface 3, you'll probably never see a boot screen.
hehe, I hear ya. I'm hoping that Microsoft has something up their sleeve for existing Surface RT/2 users some time down the road.

I love the aspect ratio of the SP3.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
No way will I upgrade. But I upgrade off need and not want. My SP2 still does everything I need it to do.

I do wonder if that SP2 will support that new fancy pen. Looks like it'll be more precise that the current pen. I'm eager to find out more information.

The main reason it's more precise is the improved screen.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro and it suits my needs (even the battery life). However, the larger screen and thin form factor makes an upgrade to the Surface Pro 3 quite tempting.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Just watched part of the announcement.

Before today, I was on the path to replacing my Surface Pro Classic with a high spec'ed Acer Aspire S7 or Lenovo Yoga X2 laptop. A couple kilobux worth. Both those laptops have some really good points, and some serious drawbacks. (I hear the trackpad on the Yoga is so bad as to be toxic.)

Now, I'm not so sure about the laptop plan. I might go for a high-end Surface Pro 3, since they seem to have addressed most of my major issues with the Surface Pro, and any remaining issues I have (no slot for the stylus, no SIM for cellular data) it shares with the laptops under consideration.

Even though the Pro 3 seems superficially priced similarly to those laptops, when you consider the extra cost of the type pad and docking station (I use my Surface Pro docking station every day), it'll probably cost out higher than a laptop.

Devilfish

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Wonder if the new stylus works with SP2. Managed to lose my original one (surprise), so since I need to buy a new one, I'd to try the SP3 version.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05