First Impressions on Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

Kalyan Ch

May 20, 2014
Visit site
What do you guys think about the price of the high end version which i am sure will be everybody's envy.
Isn't $1,949 a bit too high?

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would go for the 2nd best variant, i7-8GB-256SSD
No need to waste another 256GB of disk space on a medium that doesn't have the same longevity as a HDD

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft hit a home run with the SP3. Love the new aspect ratio, pen support... but it does seem like too big a step from the SP2. I suspect that anyone (personal machine, not a work machine) who shelled out $1000 less than a year ago is going to be a little disappointed at the significant improvement between 2nd and 3rd gen.

anon(5590893)

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Very cute device. Anybody knows how the pen is connected to it? I hope it's not the annoying magnet thing i hate on my Pro 2. What about 4G? Many questions left open.

dhaoracle

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
@WillysJeepMan I don't believe that it's too big of a step. I wanted them to go 13" actually. This is the way that it should have been from the get go. They should have differentiated Pro and RT and this showing has done it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WPCentral Forums mobile app

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
@WillysJeepMan I don't believe that it's too big of a step. I wanted them to go 13" actually. This is the way that it should have been from the get go. They should have differentiated Pro and RT and this showing has done it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WPCentral Forums mobile app
That's how you feel, but did you purchase a Surface Pro 2? :smile:

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Speaking as a 1st gen owner, I didn't see anything to make me run out and purchase this. With the exception of the kickstand, my SP1 almost everything the SP3 can do. Ok, I can't use my stylus to turn on my machine...but honestly I don't use it very much so I'll get over it. I think this was an important step and was needed, but I didn't see anything warrant a purchase.

pyrosol08

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Meet Surface Pro 3, the tablet that can replace your laptop. Wrapped in magnesium and loaded with a 12-inch ClearType Full HD display, 4th-generation Intel? Core™ processor and up to 8 GB of RAM in a sleek frame — just 0.36 inches thin and 1.76 pounds — with up to nine hours of Web-browsing battery life, Surface Pro 3 has all the power, performance and mobility of a laptop in an incredibly lightweight, versatile form.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Meet Surface Pro 3, the tablet that can replace your laptop. Wrapped in magnesium and loaded with a 12-inch ClearType Full HD display, 4th-generation Intel? Core? processor and up to 8 GB of RAM in a sleek frame ? just 0.36 inches thin and 1.76 pounds ? with up to nine hours of Web-browsing battery life, Surface Pro 3 has all the power, performance and mobility of a laptop in an incredibly lightweight, versatile form.
Where did you get the 9 hours browsing battery info?

json jett

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
It is probably best I did not visit tech sites last evening, and was able to get excited about the Surface Pro 3 during the media presentation before seeing the price. Sure hope the leaked prices include the keyboard/cover.
$2000 for a tablet? I probably should not have spent that much for a ThinkPad X230T early this year; but until now that was the only way to get stylus input on a powerful notebook with the ability to convert to a tablet. The Surface Pro 3 specs surpass the ThinkPad, and is much easier too handle plus has a 3:2 ratio that is better to read and write on.
Well at least I have the precision of the trackpoint on the ThinkPad; but I want the Surface Pro 3 for ease of carry/use and the OneNote/OneDrive integration. The Surface Pro 3 is exactly what I have been wanting since the lead-up to the original Surface (which failed to meet expectations). I will likely pre-order tomorrow (the 3 is not in the MicrosoftStore yet), with a cyan TypeCover that I hope will not push the price over 2k before tax...

Burnout1212

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I cant see why they can make me leave my 3k dollar alienware labtop it outclasses any of these tablets in a heart beat. I mean the i7 tablet is still 2k and you can buy a asus labtop for 1600 and it would destroy these tablets. I like microsoft but they are turning into a company were you pay for the name more then the product.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft hit a home run with the SP3. Love the new aspect ratio, pen support... but it does seem like too big a step from the SP2. I suspect that anyone (personal machine, not a work machine) who shelled out $1000 less than a year ago is going to be a little disappointed at the significant improvement between 2nd and 3rd gen.

I've got a SP2 and feel slightly cheated since SP3 is coming out so quickly after 2. Who ever was waiting now wins with this release, its a big improvement.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I've got a SP2 and feel slightly cheated since SP3 is coming out so quickly after 2. Who ever was waiting now wins with this release, its a big improvement.
That's what I suspected. I don't think that is a incorrect feeling to have. But that's the Microsoft way. I felt the same way about the Zune with each generation. The alternative is the glacially slow progress made with each generation which Apple has seemed to patent.

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

Why do you feel cheated? What can the SP3 do that your SP2 cannot? Heck, I have a SP1 and I don't see any reason to upgrade. Ok it's thinner and lighter and has a new pen. Granted, the new stylus can turn on the device and load onenote. Otherwise, can't see why any existing owners would rush to get this.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster