First Impressions on Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Other than the long list of improvements I can't see why any existing owner... LOL

- Thinner
- Faster
- Better battery life
- Better screen technology
- Synergy between pen and tablet
- advanced cooling fan
- "better" aspect ratio
- Better type cover

I've never been a fan of the Surface Pro. Huge fan of RT/2. But the SP3 has me seriously thinking about getting one.

Me too!

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
You apparently don't place any value on size, weight, screen technology, battery life... got it. That explains why you see don't see the difference between the SP3 and SP2... and probably the SP1 as well.
Interesting, still never answered my original questions. Could It be because it's functionally the same as SP1 and SP2? Yes the SP3 is great, but I think we can both agree it's an evolution not a revolution.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Interesting, still never answered my original questions. Could It be because it's functionally the same as SP1 and SP2? Yes the SP3 is great, but I think we can both agree it's an evolution not a revolution.
No worries. It is simply a matter of semantics. Your definitions of "functionality", "evolution", and "revolution" are probably different than mine.

As I mentioned before, I never saw the benefits of a Surface Pro over the Surface RT/2... the Surface Pro 3 has me reconsidering.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I wonder how repairable it is

My guess is that if the Pro 1 and 2 were 1/10 on the ifixit scale (Really poor). The Pro 3 will be 0.5 :) It has a more powerful processor, bigger battery, re-engineered and more effective fan AND it's thinner, so my guess is that it will be next to impossible to repair. Don't even think about it. haha

jdbii

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
A bit pricey for my blood, but it looks nice. I'd be more inclined to buy s discounted previous generation model.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Meet Surface Pro 3, the tablet that can replace your laptop. Wrapped in magnesium and loaded with a 12-inch ClearType Full HD display, 4th-generation Intel? Core? processor and up to 8 GB of RAM in a sleek frame ? just 0.36 inches thin and 1.76 pounds ? with up to nine hours of Web-browsing battery life, Surface Pro 3 has all the power, performance and mobility of a laptop in an incredibly lightweight, versatile form.

Where did you get the 9 hours browsing battery info?

Panas Panay said it himself in the webcast.

Is it me or this a glaringly obvious typo? :p
oops.jpg

For the price of the most expensive model, you could get yourself a razer edge granted the battery life maynot be that great. Furthermore if you really want to be practical you can make self a decent gaming rig and get yourself a decent gaming laptop if you know where to look.

Never the less, if you have the disposable income to spend, then by all means it is a terrific product however it would have been nice if at least they threw in the keyboard for the first say 1000 pre-orders or something for the i5 + models. If I had the money to splurge then yeah I would get the i5 + 128gb model, but as it stands I need to prioritize my finances and may pick up the surface pro 2 / surface 2 lte depending if either go down to a price in future that is feasible for me right now (as I have checked the MS website and neither have not) or there is a Christmas sale.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
i really need the pro range to have connected standby, i know the RT does, but the beauty of true hybrid pc/tablet with wake on notifications etc is a must for me, crazy that this isnt the case in 2014.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Looks like a huge improvement over the previous two generations. I love the two. Just two complaints
1) Screen is too small for real productivity at least for me.
2) The price of the top models is completely mad. You get a top ultrabook or another good hybrid in the 13.3 range like Lenovo Yoga pro, in that price range.

For the rest, it's a nice device. Way better than any Android tablet.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Funny, if people on a Microsoft forum don't get the aim of this device (which was stated on stage) is to replace BOTH your tablet and laptop then there's no chance the apple biased press will do anything other than compare it to an ipad and call it a day. Amusing though to see all the complaints about how expensive it is, just buy what you can afford, no need to whine about the SP3 price.

Sent from my Venue 11 Pro 5130 using Tapatalk

Bram Vanroy

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
The pricing is horrible, as usual. I do not mean the US price, which is quite fair I think (at least for the basic models. The high-end models are too expensive imo).

The problem is that the US prices are simply "the same" as European prices. Example: Pro 3 256 GB / i5 is $1300, right? Which would be slightly less than € 1000. But no, that's not how Microsoft (and other companies such as Apple and Steam) work: they put the same price on it: € 1300. That's 30 % MORE. Ridiculous. (Even after taxes and all that. I don't know how the income differs between the two continents, but I don't think that that's a factor.)

Apart from that, it's a great device. Not so much difference in the internal hardware, but the screen is great, the weight and dimensions are as well.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Funny, if people on a Microsoft forum don't get the aim of this device (which was stated on stage) is to replace BOTH your tablet and laptop then there's no chance the apple biased press will do anything other than compare it to an ipad and call it a day. Amusing though to see all the complaints about how expensive it is, just buy what you can afford, no need to whine about the SP3 price.

Sent from my Venue 11 Pro 5130 using Tapatalk
The thing is even the tablet market is declining. Tablets are just big useless phones. I think most people are either satisfied with what they have or realize how much of a novelty item they are. And lastly what happens when users like me aren't interested in a tablet because we have a phablet (Lumia 1520) by the same company that's also still selling tablets (sp2+sp) anyway? At that point it's just an over priced non upgradeable novelty laptop that has the same function of the sp2 tablet.

manwe

May 6, 2013
Visit site
The SP 3 is a MacBook Air competitor, plain and simple. It's priced accordingly, and although it's a bit frustrating the keyboard is so expensive / not bundled it still compares favourably with what apple has to offer.
For me, unless Apple makes some big moves in the next few months i know what i'm getting "instead" of a laptop next. I care most about build quality first of all, then battery life and then performance so there's really no competiton for apple and microsoft out there right now, as far as i can tell anyway. And the surface pro 3 is a windows product that finally looks more attractive than an air

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos