Bugs and Defects Thread - Surface Pro 3

MikeInOhio

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The eraser button on the side of the pen does not work in "One Note locked mode" for me. After I unlock the system the eraser button functions as expected.

The rear-facing camera does not seem as sharp as the one on my original Surface Pro. I can't really think of when I'd use it though so I guess it's not that big of a deal. Also, I don't know whether it really classifies as a bug/defect.

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Chrome, along with many other applications need to provide a fix for high DPI touch screens. It is painful to have to pick between beautiful or functional.

I found a fix for Chrome... it works perfectly and Chrome is gorgeous now. No need to change scaling. But it is a bit of a hack and i don't want to post something dangerous. Feel free to PM me if you want the details.

acsn

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I found a fix for Chrome... it works perfectly and Chrome is gorgeous now. No need to change scaling. But it is a bit of a hack and i don't want to post something dangerous. Feel free to PM me if you want the details.

Oh.... come on now. We're just young at heart with our new toys. We can take it and decide for ourselves. Post it here. :grin:

ravenskman1

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
The only issue I seem to be having is when I try to either sleep or wake the device, there is a noticeably significant amount of time before it responds. But after clicking sleep (or pushing the wake hardware button) it takes a few seconds do what its supposed to do but its not just a delay to do the task but it essentially freezes for a few seconds trying to sleep/wake the device. Any advice?

Btw, I'm new to WPC, regular over at CrackBerry but you'll probably see me around here more now that I have a surface pro 3!

KJones75

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
The eraser button on the side of the pen does not work in "One Note locked mode" for me. After I unlock the system the eraser button functions as expected.

Is that maybe an intentional feature rather than a bug? I don't have a SP3 but it seems like it could disable the eraser to prevent other people from erasing your notes.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Is that maybe an intentional feature rather than a bug? I don't have a SP3 but it seems like it could disable the eraser to prevent other people from erasing your notes.
Yes. This is intentional. If you read the second to last page under "Use My Pen with OneNote", you'll see it there.

chadthebuilder

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
This evening the digitizer in my SP3 stopped working. It will no longer respond to pen input or touch. Tried rebooting and going through Microsoft's online help steps, and nothing. Looks like I will be calling MS Support on Monday. I even rolled back system updates, and then did a factory reset, and still nothing. :(

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

phantomlightgames

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I purchased mine on launch day from Best Buy. It has already replaced my laptop but there are a few bugs like someone here pointed out - If you put your device to sleep or just close the lid. Wake it up after about 2 minutes you will notice right away that the wireless connection status changes to limited which mean your not online anymore. The only way around this is to turn off your WiFi then turn it back on which is annoying. Otherwise it's the greatest thing ever!

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I purchased mine on launch day from Best Buy. It has already replaced my laptop but there are a few bugs like someone here pointed out - If you put your device to sleep or just close the lid. Wake it up after about 2 minutes you will notice right away that the wireless connection status changes to limited which mean your not online anymore. The only way around this is to turn off your WiFi then turn it back on which is annoying. Otherwise it's the greatest thing ever!

I'm not actually getting this bug. What does happen with mine after waking it up is I get a momentary delay before the lockscreen slides up. Even trying to slide it up with a finger multiple times doesn't work. The delay is approximately 4 seconds or so.

Edit: There is also a delay of about the same time when I press the power button to turn the device off.

Edit 2: For some odd reason I decided to check for updates and there were a whole host of additional updates, 16 to be exact. Will install and report back on any noticeable fixes.

Edit 3: Seems like today's updates have fixed it. Looking at some of those updates, it seems they could be the same updates that were ready to go day 1. I wonder if mine didn't update for some reason. I did have it turn itself off due to overheating while updating.

If someone could confirm the initial updates by number for me, especially the date of the firmware update (just installed one dated 6/19), that would be great.

Last edited:

acsn

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Such a let down by these annoyances that detract points from the SP3. :unhappy: Have encountered the following so far:

• Type cover becomes unresponsive requiring a disconnect and reconnect
  • More than a few times now, wireless connection shows 'Limited connection' requiring disconnecting/reconnecting or disabling and turning it back on
  • SP3 fails to rotate for some reason requiring a restart
  • Device is definitely not quiet. When it kicks somewhere above 20% CPU usage, fans rev up.

It's getting really annoying. In addition to the limited connection bug, sometimes, the network adapter disappears completely from Device Manager. This means that you cannot even turn the wifi off and back on to get connected. It happens very often after waking from sleep.

The type cover also requires disconnecting and reconnecting more often than acceptable really. I have found certain times, the type cover is the cause for the failure to rotate as it thinks the keyboard is connected and active (meaning not flipped around to the back like when you use it as a tablet).

Bluetooth also disconnects and disappears completely from PC Settings when waking from sleep requiring a restart.

jmiller2032

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My Surface isn't recognizing the MicroSD card I plugged in. The card works perfectly on other computers and my camera. Is there anything I'm missing?

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
My Surface isn't recognizing the MicroSD card I plugged in. The card works perfectly on other computers and my camera. Is there anything I'm missing?
This seems to be happening with some others. You need to push the card in farther. I know it appears to be all the way in, but it isn't. Once you do that, the slot loosens up and it should work regularly afterward.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
So here is why mine is going back to be replaced.

Digitizer Issues.jpg

UPDATE: Replaced in store, no hassle. Allegedly, they send it to a different place when it isn't a "normal" issue.

Last edited:

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
It's getting really annoying. In addition to the limited connection bug, sometimes, the network adapter disappears completely from Device Manager. This means that you cannot even turn the wifi off and back on to get connected. It happens very often after waking from sleep.

The type cover also requires disconnecting and reconnecting more often than acceptable really. I have found certain times, the type cover is the cause for the failure to rotate as it thinks the keyboard is connected and active (meaning not flipped around to the back like when you use it as a tablet).

Bluetooth also disconnects and disappears completely from PC Settings when waking from sleep requiring a restart.

Has there been a single other user with these issues on here? Those would really bother me, but outside of quoting yourself, I haven't seen an others complain.

WIFI and bluetooth issues are the worst IMHO.

acsn

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I am quoting myself just to add more to my post. I have read about the keyboard, wireless connection problems here so others are having similar problems. A Google search shows other having similar issues even before SP3 so these seem to be ongoing issues that are not getting fix. Disappointing really.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I am quoting myself just to add more to my post. I have read about the keyboard, wireless connection problems here so others are having similar problems. A Google search shows other having similar issues even before SP3 so these seem to be ongoing issues that are not getting fix. Disappointing really.

That sucks...not getting mine until next week. Will check it out, but just glad the issues do not seem to be "rampant" at this point.

chadthebuilder

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site

No problems with the keyboard or wireless on mine. I do have a issue with the touchscreen, but I think its probably a defective unit.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

wundram

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Chrome, along with many other applications need to provide a fix for high DPI touch screens. It is painful to have to pick between beautiful or functional.

If you install the "Canary" build of Chrome, it gets the display scaling right. It also runs in 64bit. The canary build is primarily for developers that want to test their sites with the chrome features that will be available in the next month or so.

acsn

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Hope this helps. Enabling high dpi support on Google Chrome. Back up first. :grin:

Open Registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Chrome\

Create a new key named "Profile"
Create a new DWORD Value named "high-dpi-support"
Assign "high-dpi-support" with a value data of 1

Exit Registry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member