User Reviews - Surface Pro 3

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I'll go first.

"While The V_rge (to protect the un-named) is still trying to figure out what the Surface Pro is and 'who is it made for', My first impression is this is the best device ever" - SeeVuPlay

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Only been using it since this morning when I picked it up at Best Buy, but so far everything has been about as expected. After you've used hundreds of tablets and notebooks, combined with many pictures & videos, not much is going to be a "surprise" at this point. :)

So not going to echo the other reviews about how thin and light it is... etc; so I'll note what has stood out for me, and perhaps not mentioned quite as much. First, this is the i5/256/8 version, and ambient temps were about 80F. It's on AC power, charging, balanced mode, and OS is fully patched.

During initial setup as I'm copying files over a gigabit USB adapter and installing some apps, it gets quite hot. Noted 108 degrees at the top/right side of the screen, and a tad warmer on the opposite side, at the back. CPU core temps hit around 170 at that time, so not bad.

As a result of the extra work called upon it, that little CPU fan gets super noisy. Even with a high-end workstation and air cleaner nearby, it's quite audible. Mostly due to it's higher pitch noise. It is a small high RPM fan after all.

Also ran a 3DMark11 Cloud Gate test. Core CPU package temps peaked at 91 C/195 F.

3DMark11-CloudGate.JPG

Now that it's fairly idle, and I'm typing up this post, I'm looking at about 49 C/ 120 F for the CPU. And no more fan noise. Although if I put my ear to the vent, you can hear a faint buzzing noise from the fan. Once again, it is rather intentionally warm in here.

I have noted once or twice that the keyboard/touch-pad didn't respond right away, after some inactivity. And there is a very small amount of light bleed at the top of the display. Unfortunately rather common with IPS displays, and once again, minor.

Beyond that everything has met my high expectations for a tablet/ultrabook replacement. I'm optimistic it will succeed. The real test will be as I take it on a week long flight in a few days as my only "computer" type device. Well, other than my phone.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
One thing is usually absent from tablet reviews is how well it avoids scratches.

When I purchased the Surface Pro 1 I didn't bother putting a screen protector on it. I never do with my phones and have been very good about not getting any scratches on pits in them. It wasn't long before I regretted the decision. The type cover, with soft wrist rests seemed to be a magnet for micro bits of stuff which would become stuck to it and hence scratch the glass of the tablet when folded for carrying.

Are any of you SP3 users not using a screen protector? If so, have you had enough experience yet in noticing how well or how badly the type cover/SP3 glass is at preventing scratches, pits, and nicks?

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Are any of you SP3 users not using a screen protector? If so, have you had enough experience yet in noticing how well or how badly the type cover/SP3 glass is at preventing scratches, pits, and nicks?

None so far. Even cat hair doesn't stick to it and i have 2 white Turkish Vans. I have noticed that the oil from your fingers shows on it, esp when you see it in unforgiving direct sunlight.

terryw64

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I purchased the Surface Pro 3. Everything was great until two days later, the brightness started to flicker. I disabled automatic brightness and tried a few other items. Finally, I reset it to factory defaults, tested again. I returned it back to Best Buy and decided to wait and see if what issues anyone else had.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The better question is "Are any of you USING a screen protector?" Because I want one but haven't found one yet. I really want it to be matte, too.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
My Surface hasn't arrived yet, but my red keyboard has.

I do not like it. The worst part about it is the distance for each key press. It's quite short and stunted.

It appears that other than the trackpad, everything else about this keyboard was just thrown in. It most certainly is NOT worth $129. More like $50. I feel very cheated by Microsoft with this accessory and I wish there was an alternative, but there isn't.

This really detracts from the SP3's otherwise superb design.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
My Surface hasn't arrived yet, but my red keyboard has.

I do not like it. The worst part about it is the distance for each key press. It's quite short and stunted.

It appears that other than the trackpad, everything else about this keyboard was just thrown in. It most certainly is NOT worth $129. More like $50. I feel very cheated by Microsoft with this accessory and I wish there was an alternative, but there isn't.

This really detracts from the SP3's otherwise superb design.

Did you not read the 50 reviews that state exactly what you experienced? And everyone saying how keyboards are a very personal item and should always be tested in person? While it isn't like any other keyboard I have ever tried, I went to the store and tested it out to make sure I could live with it. I actually really like it and love the way it attaches and acts as a cover.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
None one of those function as a cover. So, no.

Ah, well that's the compromise you make. You're comparing a 5mm thick keyboard & trackpad with something between 2 to 10 times the thickness and saying it's rubbish and that you feel cheated. I don't think that's fair. If it's not what you expected then return it?

I have a Type Cover 2 at the moment and I find it perfectly acceptable but if I didn't like it then I would just get a sleeve/cover for the SP and another Bluetooth keyboard of my choosing, something like the Microsoft Wedge Mobile keyboard.

EDIT: I'm also sure it won't be long for something like the MoKo or Epic Bluetooth Keyboard/Case to be built in the right size for the SP3

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Ah, well that's the compromise you make. You're comparing a 5mm thick keyboard & trackpad with something between 2 to 10 times the thickness and saying it's rubbish and that you feel cheated. I don't think that's fair.

I have a Type Cover 2 at the moment and I find it perfectly acceptable but if I didn't like it then I would just get a sleeve/cover for the SP and another Bluetooth keyboard of my choosing, something like the Microsoft Wedge Mobile keyboard.

It's fair. Have you used the last type cover? It's better as a keyboard.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
It's fair. Have you used the last type cover? It's better as a keyboard.

The last type cover? I actually don't have an SP3 yet (releases in August here) so I was just assuming that the keyboard is the same as the SP2 cover (which is what the reviewers have said). You're saying it's not as good?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The last type cover? I actually don't have an SP3 yet (releases in August here) so I was just assuming that the keyboard is the same as the SP2 cover (which is what the reviewers have said). You're saying it's not as good?

The keys are the same between the TypeCover2 and TypeCover3 as far as I can tell. I currently have both.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The keys are the same between the TypeCover2 and TypeCover3 as far as I can tell. I currently have both.

Before Microsoft added backlighting in the previous cover, the throws were longer. This is where I'm coming from.

The new cover for the SP3 has keys that land prematurely when you press them. Very cheap feeling, and that is the bulk of my complaint for this sole source overpriced accessory.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
As was said in another thread, keyboards are very personal. I never buy one without trying it out first. I happen to love the short throw on the TC2/3. But like phones, computers, cars, refrigerators, and sandwiches, no one keyboard will ever satisfy everyone. I accept that.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Indeed it is personal! Which supports my personal frustration that the premium cost associated with this type of accessory should have corresponding quality like the device it attaches to.

At best the SP3 type cover is of mediocre quality for what you pay for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster