Microsoft has showcased some breathtaking design and engineering with the Surface Pro 3. Packing in a Core i7 in a 9.1 mm chassis and keeping the weight down to 800 gms is no joke!!! They have introduced some never seen before design technologies in the hardware including a new "Fanless" technology. Radiating that amount of heat from that chip without a physical fan is going to be very difficult. just hope they have done some serious innovation there!!!
    05-20-2014 12:38 PM
    Microsoft has showcased some breathtaking design and engineering with the Surface Pro 3. Packing in a Core i7 in a 9.1 mm chassis and keeping the weight down to 800 gms is no joke!!! They have introduced some never seen before design technologies in the hardware including a new "Fanless" technology. Radiating that amount of heat from that chip without a physical fan is going to be very difficult. just hope they have done some serious innovation there!!!
    I believe it does have a redesigned fan, but if anything, that's better because they can use a proper haswell chip instead of the low-powered fanless ones!!
    05-20-2014 12:59 PM
    According to MS, it actually uses the air vents on the sides of the device to radiate out the air...but its done in a way that the user wont feel the air..so they have actually removed the noise of the fan and have given another way to radiate out the air without compromising on the efficiency..they did actually mention about it during the event!!!
    05-20-2014 01:05 PM
    I'm desperately trying to find out how much it costs (not that it matters, I'm getting this). Anyone?
    05-20-2014 01:53 PM
    Yeah but execution is still shaky, they used N-Trig over Wacom, and that isn't going to go well with prospective creative pros. N-Trig is fine for the general pen user, e.g. lawyer, student, business pro, etc, but Microsoft needs to nail the creative pro user down. A Surface Pro 3 variant with Wacom would be a good idea.
    JamesPTao likes this.
    05-20-2014 02:05 PM
    According to MS, it actually uses the air vents on the sides of the device to radiate out the air...but its done in a way that the user wont feel the air..so they have actually removed the noise of the fan and have given another way to radiate out the air without compromising on the efficiency..they did actually mention about it during the event!!!
    They were very obtuse about it. They said basically, "there's no sound, there's no feel of exhaust air, it's thin..." but never came out and said it still has a fan. They should've just been upfront about that.
    05-20-2014 02:09 PM
    basically it does have a fan but it is virtually fan-less in MS head...weird. I guess wait for broadwell?
    05-20-2014 02:17 PM
    I'm desperately trying to find out how much it costs (not that it matters, I'm getting this). Anyone?
    •Intel Core i3 / 64 GB / 4GB of RAM / $799
    •Intel Core i5 / 128 GB / 4GB of RAM / $999
    •Intel Core i5 / 256 GB / 8GB of RAM / $1299
    •Intel Core i7 / 256 GB / 8GB of RAM / $1549
    •Intel Core i7 / 512 GB / 8GB of RAM / $1949
    05-20-2014 02:21 PM
    Sorry to disagree, but I heard nothing that I would consider "breathtaking".

The Surface does nothing for me. I don't want a hybrid. I know that others disagree and like this approach. My question is does this have to be the only solution from Microsoft? Can't they also sell a real laptop and tablet. I love the iPad Air hardware. I just want it to run Windows. Why won't Microsoft build this dedicated tablet?
    05-20-2014 04:55 PM
    As Steve Jobs during the iPad introduction... If you need a stylus, you've failed (paraphrasing because I can't remember the exact quote). I feel the same way about the Surface Pro. If you see exhaust vents, you've failed. I wish they'd built an ARM version as well. Same 12" display, but half as thin. Half as light. No need to vent for heat.
    WillysJeepMan likes this.
    05-20-2014 04:58 PM
    Now we don't know if it has a fan or not...so have to wait for some hands on experience to clarify that
    05-20-2014 10:26 PM
    The controversy over Wacom and N-trig isn't clear yet..have to wait for official confirmation
    05-20-2014 10:30 PM
    Maybe MS thinks ARM isn't capable enough to run Windows 8.1...but the design with that Intel chips in there...its quite good
    05-20-2014 10:32 PM
    The Ipad uses Qualcomm chips..i guess..so they haven't been tested with Windows 8.1 yet...but its difficult to run Windows on the Qualcomm chips as they are specifically designed for a different purpose.
    05-20-2014 10:34 PM
    Now we don't know if it has a fan or not...so have to wait for some hands on experience to clarify that

It does have a fan.
    05-21-2014 01:10 AM
    The controversy over Wacom and N-trig isn't clear yet..have to wait for official confirmation

It only has 256 levels of sensitivity while the previous had 1024 levels of sensitivity. That is the huge dilemma and this is seen as a downgrade.
    05-21-2014 01:12 AM
    Maybe MS thinks ARM isn't capable enough to run Windows 8.1...but the design with that Intel chips in there...its quite good

Surface 2 uses NVIDIA soc and Nokia Lumia 2520 uses Qualcomm 800 sock. There is windows rt for windows on arm. Windows rt is designed for arm processors.
    05-21-2014 01:13 AM
    The Ipad uses Qualcomm chips..i guess..so they haven't been tested with Windows 8.1 yet...but its difficult to run Windows on the Qualcomm chips as they are specifically designed for a different purpose.

The ipad uses a custom apple sock, nothing related to Qualcomm. See the post for the second explanation.
    05-21-2014 01:14 AM
    As Steve Jobs during the iPad introduction... If you need a stylus, you've failed (paraphrasing because I can't remember the exact quote). I feel the same way about the Surface Pro. If you see exhaust vents, you've failed. I wish they'd built an ARM version as well. Same 12" display, but half as thin. Half as light. No need to vent for heat.
    Then the heat would dissipate into the chassis. Would anyone really want to hold a hot device? Those full fledge CPUs don't just give off a trivial amount of heat. ARM would've been nice, but come on it's still a pretty cool technological feat with what they did.
    05-21-2014 01:27 AM
    They were very obtuse about it. They said basically, "there's no sound, there's no feel of exhaust air, it's thin..." but never came out and said it still has a fan. They should've just been upfront about that.
    You missed how Panos explained how they together with intel have reinvented the fan, how the fan actually cools, and how they reinvented the fans "fins".
    They were very obtuse about it being battery driven or not, they should have been more upfront about that.
    theefman and paritosh sahu like this.
    05-21-2014 05:02 AM
    It only has 256 levels of sensitivity while the previous had 1024 levels of sensitivity. That is the huge dilemma and this is seen as a downgrade.
    And you haven't used the device, and with this new screen it might be the best stylus experience ever made.
    05-21-2014 05:04 AM
    And you haven't used the device, and with this new screen it might be the best stylus experience ever made.
    Exactly my thought...we just cant blame it without using it...
    05-21-2014 08:23 AM
    You missed how Panos explained how they together with intel have reinvented the fan, how the fan actually cools, and how they reinvented the fans "fins".
    They were very obtuse about it being battery driven or not, they should have been more upfront about that.
    ya I missed that...anyways thanks for letting us know
    05-21-2014 08:23 AM
    Sorry to disagree, but I heard nothing that I would consider "breathtaking".

The Surface does nothing for me. I don't want a hybrid. I know that others disagree and like this approach. My question is does this have to be the only solution from Microsoft? Can't they also sell a real laptop and tablet. I love the iPad Air hardware. I just want it to run Windows. Why won't Microsoft build this dedicated tablet?
    The SP3 *IS* a tablet. It's just that you can snap a keyboard onto it too. Why is that a problem?
    MetaG85 likes this.
    05-21-2014 08:33 AM
    Then the heat would dissipate into the chassis. Would anyone really want to hold a hot device? Those full fledge CPUs don't just give off a trivial amount of heat. ARM would've been nice, but come on it's still a pretty cool technological feat with what they did.
    There's nothing pretty cool about this, this is incredible, ipads are not full PCs so running on arm chipsets with no vents is not very impressive. You see their full PCs (Macs) still have vents, fans and is still much heavier and thicker. The Surface Pro 3 is an outstanding achievement and you can bet your bottom dollar the Surface 3 will have an even thinner profile & the Surface Mini even thinner.
    blehblehbleh and mozman68 like this.
    05-22-2014 09:14 AM