tools
    there are several articles here,
    =============================
    Surface Pro Artist

and more tests coming from artists.

check back.

later
    05-29-2014 05:37 PM
    Very dissapointed as well. Wacom is awesome, but I'm sure the decision made to allow the screen to be slimmer, save money, and the advantage of ntrig is no cursor jumping since the pen registers on the top level and not the bottom pane. With that said I will be open to using ntrig but wish they had chosen wacom.
    05-29-2014 06:04 PM
    Too bad the WinTab drivers suck.

Do we know what art software works?

Autodesk products? Apparently Sketchook Pro works, right?

What about Mudbox? Maya? 3DS Max? How good are the drivers there?

I hear that it's a no-go with Pixologic. No Zbrush sculpting.

​Blender? C4D? Modo?
    05-29-2014 06:22 PM

​Blender? C4D? Modo?
    Perhaps they'll push an update post-Release? And there's also a chance the drivers work best on the Surface Pro 3, i would think.
    05-29-2014 08:15 PM

​Blender? C4D? Modo?
    here's the list
    ------------------
    Surface Pro 3: What Runs, What Doesn't €” Surface Pro Artist

later
    05-30-2014 01:29 AM
    here's the list
    ------------------
    Surface Pro 3: What Runs, What Doesn't — Surface Pro Artist

later
    No pen on Mudbox, but it works on Maya? That's strange.

And no pressure on zbrush.

I guess for ssome major software it isn't 256 vs 1024. It's 1 vs 1024.

It's probably up to the software makes to add better support. But for 3D artists it looks like a step backwards for now...
    05-30-2014 03:29 AM
    That list hardly looks official.
    05-30-2014 04:18 AM
    That list hardly looks official.
    I don't think you're going to find an official list anywhere.

All that we can do right now is look at who has a Surface 3 and see what works for them and what doesn't.
    05-30-2014 01:20 PM
    I don't think you're going to find an official list anywhere.

All that we can do right now is look at who has a Surface 3 and see what works for them and what doesn't.
    I'm just saying, sometimes there's a setting or different drivers that can help. Kind of like how the surface 2 out of the box can't do Photoshop, but you can make it work. That site just lists programs with some short answers. I'm just skeptical that this person actually tried.
    05-30-2014 04:55 PM
    I'm just saying, sometimes there's a setting or different drivers that can help. Kind of like how the surface 2 out of the box can't do Photoshop, but you can make it work. That site just lists programs with some short answers. I'm just skeptical that this person actually tried.
    He's been a big Surface proponent. That's why he was given one. He pushes for artists to adopt Surface. Of course he's not going to put stuff up without trying.

N-trig's WinTab drivers appear to work well for Adobe. It was probably optimized for that. But for other software... not as much. It's not a surprise. I believe that WinTab was created by Wacom.

Windows has their own set of APIs for pen communication. If those are used, then the N-trig will work fine. It's just not adopted by most software yet.

Artists will have to pressure the devs of their favorite programs to support it.
    05-30-2014 07:30 PM
    He's been a big Surface proponent. That's why he was given one. He pushes for artists to adopt Surface. Of course he's not going to put stuff up without trying.

N-trig's WinTab drivers appear to work well for Adobe. It was probably optimized for that. But for other software... not as much. It's not a surprise. I believe that WinTab was created by Wacom.

Windows has their own set of APIs for pen communication. If those are used, then the N-trig will work fine. It's just not adopted by most software yet.

Artists will have to pressure the devs of their favorite programs to support it.
    Im surprised they even tested Photoshop, since an update will arrive soon that optimizes it for surface, which makes me think WinTab drivers will be unnecessary for it.
    05-30-2014 09:06 PM
    updated review:
    ============
    Surface Pro 3: One week later... — Surface Pro Artist

looks like artists should wait for updates.

or hold off if you have sp1 or sp2

later
    05-31-2014 05:18 PM
    updated review:
    ============
    Surface Pro 3: One week later... €” Surface Pro Artist

looks like artists should wait for updates.

or hold off if you have sp1 or sp2

later
    I'm an artist, and I will not wait. Thanks for trying to speak for me, but I'm fine making my own decisions. This is the problem with reviewers, they don't give facts, they just give opinions. THANKS!
    05-31-2014 05:57 PM
    I'm an artist, and I will not wait. Thanks for trying to speak for me, but I'm fine making my own decisions. This is the problem with reviewers, they don't give facts, they just give opinions. THANKS!
    A review is an opinion.

The facts that led up to the opinion are laid out in the review. It wasn't only opinion as you are suggesting.

You dont need to share the opinion. But it's just his current recommendation. He wasn't trying to speak for you.

I'm sure that it will be updated if driver support increases.
    05-31-2014 09:16 PM
    A review is an opinion.

The facts that led up to the opinion are laid out in the review. It wasn't only opinion as you are suggesting.

You dont need to share the opinion. But it's just his current recommendation. He wasn't trying to speak for you.

I'm sure that it will be updated if driver support increases.
    He said artists should wait. No thanks.
    05-31-2014 09:23 PM
    He said artists should wait. No thanks.
    The poster said that, not the review.

The review said,
    If you rely on any of the programs that dont work at present, the best option may be to sit on the sidelines until the dust settles
    05-31-2014 10:10 PM
    The poster said that, not the review.

The review said,
    I was only talking about the poster. I personally don't read many reviews, mostly just those from sources I know. And I take all the info lightly. I've owned Surface RT's (2 of them) A Surface Pro and a Pro 2. I know the quality and I don't need someone who's 'played' with it for a few days to tell me about it. These kinds of people often get it wrong. Also, I've had nothing but the best experiences with Microsoft Stores and their support, there is no reason to not trust them.
    05-31-2014 10:27 PM
    I was only talking about the poster. I personally don't read many reviews, mostly just those from sources I know. And I take all the info lightly. I've owned Surface RT's (2 of them) A Surface Pro and a Pro 2. I know the quality and I don't need someone who's 'played' with it for a few days to tell me about it. These kinds of people often get it wrong. Also, I've had nothing but the best experiences with Microsoft Stores and their support, there is no reason to not trust them.
    I just get the vibe from your posts like you're offended by people who have questions or criticisms of Surface. Maybe its just the way text comes across online.

Not everyone who has a criticism is implying that there are quality issues with the device. Most people that post at WPCentral would just like it to be awesome in every way. We all would love an excuse to spend $2000 for the i7 version.

Unfortunately, for many of us it has to be a practical decision if we're going to spend that much money. So we have to have it useful for all the programs we use on a daily basis. So we rely on feedback from others in similar industries to inform us about what it can and can't do with certain software.

I won't ever be able to go to an MS store and install Zbrush, Mudbox, Maya, C4D, etc... on those machines to try them out.

So far it appears that 2D artists are largely covered if they mainly use Photoshop, Sketchbook, or a handful of other 2D programs. Others dont recognize pressure sensitivity yet.

3D artists can't really use the Surface Pro 3 pen for their 3D software.

But if you're a 3D artist that can afford to buy one as a fun play device and not for work, then awesome. More power to you.
    05-31-2014 11:08 PM
    I just get the vibe from your posts like you're offended by people who have questions or criticisms of Surface. Maybe its just the way text comes across online.

Not everyone who has a criticism is implying that there are quality issues with the device. Most people that post at WPCentral would just like it to be awesome in every way. We all would love an excuse to spend $2000 for the i7 version.

Unfortunately, for many of us it has to be a practical decision if we're going to spend that much money. So we have to have it useful for all the programs we use on a daily basis. So we rely on feedback from others in similar industries to inform us about what it can and can't do with certain software.

I won't ever be able to go to an MS store and install Zbrush, Mudbox, Maya, C4D, etc... on those machines to try them out.

So far it appears that 2D artists are largely covered if they mainly use Photoshop, Sketchbook, or a handful of other 2D programs. Others dont recognize pressure sensitivity yet.

3D artists can't really use the Surface Pro 3 pen for their 3D software.

But if you're a 3D artist that can afford to buy one as a fun play device and not for work, then awesome. More power to you.
    First off, don't try to ever figure out my feelings. I just don't like it when someone says artists shouldn't get this, without actually giving a GOOD REASON. There are plenty of artists who are and will get a surface 3 because it is amazing.

And if you must know, I do 2D art like with Fresh Paint and others programs, I also do 3D work too. I did 4 seasons of graphics for a cake show on TLC, a show on the history channel and I've also done 3d/motion graphics for live ppv events with the top mma company around. I'm not going to name them, but most people will know what those shows are. I can tell you that the surface pro/2/3 are amazing machines. Sure it takes some modifying of drivers and stuff to get it to work properly, but it usually does work. Sure, there are some 3d artists who only do zbrush, or something like that. But at some point you still have to actually do the modeling and that's normally done with a mouse. I do use other programs, but I mostly deal with Cinema 4D, which is where i got my user name from(I use to post on a Cinema 4D board). Although the pen works in C4D, but with the jumpy/inaccurate cursor on the pro/pro2, it makes it hard. But still, the fact that I can 3d model on a device that small and portable is wonderful. I take my Surface everywhere I go. It saves me lots of time driving around. If someone needs something, I can do it wherever i'm at. In the past that would have been a 30 minute drive to the other side of Vegas, then 30 minutes back from my office. Sure a laptop would also work, but laptops are just big enough that they are not that portable. Even if you get a super portable laptop, it doesn't have the touchscreen or the digitizer. Add all those things up and you can't go wrong. (yeah, I realize that sentence might be messed up, but i'm in a rush here)
    05-31-2014 11:47 PM
    First off, don't try to ever figure out my feelings. I just don't like it when someone says artists shouldn't get this, without actually giving a GOOD REASON. There are plenty of artists who are and will get a surface 3 because it is amazing.
    You're on a discussion board stating your feelings. Telling people to not try to figure out your feelings is pretty weird.

People who are stating good reasons that you are ignoring. If those reasons don't apply to you personally that's good and fine. But they do apply for many others.

And if you must know, I do 2D art like with Fresh Paint and others programs, I also do 3D work too. I did 4 seasons of graphics for a cake show on TLC, a show on the history channel and I've also done 3d/motion graphics for live ppv events with the top mma company around. I'm not going to name them, but most people will know what those shows are. I can tell you that the surface pro/2/3 are amazing machines. Sure it takes some modifying of drivers and stuff to get it to work properly, but it usually does work.
    The Surface Pro 3 has completely different driver challenges than the SP2. The SP2 used a Wacom digitizer, and WinTab was created by Wacom. Pretty much all pro software supports WinTab.

The SP3 uses a digitizer that works best using the native Windows drivers. For WinTab they have compatibility issues seriously limiting functionality. That's just the fact of how things are at the present time.

Do you plan to use the SP3 for work? If so, you should check to make sure it works with C4D.

Sure, there are some 3d artists who only do zbrush, or something like that. But at some point you still have to actually do the modeling and that's normally done with a mouse.
    I rarely ever use a mouse when modeling.

A pen and a Bluetooth keypad mapped with hot keys is ideal on a Surface. Well, IDEAL would be to have hardware buttons on the tablet, but it's not really necessary. I'd rather use a Surface than a Cintique if they're even close.

I do use other programs, but I mostly deal with Cinema 4D, which is where i got my user name from(I use to post on a Cinema 4D board). Although the pen works in C4D, but with the jumpy/inaccurate cursor on the pro/pro2, it makes it hard. But still, the fact that I can 3d model on a device that small and portable is wonderful. I take my Surface everywhere I go. It saves me lots of time driving around. If someone needs something, I can do it wherever i'm at. In the past that would have been a 30 minute drive to the other side of Vegas, then 30 minutes back from my office. Sure a laptop would also work, but laptops are just big enough that they are not that portable. Even if you get a super portable laptop, it doesn't have the touchscreen or the digitizer. Add all those things up and you can't go wrong. (yeah, I realize that sentence might be messed up, but i'm in a rush here)
    We don't know yet if C4D works with the N-trig digitizer yet. If it does, great. But if it's something that matters to you, then it's worth finding out unless you plan to buy it regardless.

But I can see where the SP3 would be great for all 2D work when you're out and about.
    06-01-2014 12:15 AM
    You're on a discussion board stating your feelings. Telling people to not try to figure out your feelings is pretty weird.

People who are stating good reasons that you are ignoring. If those reasons don't apply to you personally that's good and fine. But they do apply for many others.

The Surface Pro 3 has completely different driver challenges than the SP2. The SP2 used a Wacom digitizer, and WinTab was created by Wacom. Pretty much all pro software supports WinTab.

The SP3 uses a digitizer that works best using the native Windows drivers. For WinTab they have compatibility issues seriously limiting functionality. That's just the fact of how things are at the present time.

Do you plan to use the SP3 for work? If so, you should check to make sure it works with C4D.

I rarely ever use a mouse when modeling.

We don't know yet if C4D works with the N-trig digitizer yet. If it does, great. But if it's something that matters to you, then it's worth finding out unless you plan to buy it regardless.

But I can see where the SP3 would be great for all 2D work when you're out and about.
    Obviously you're not paying attention. MOST 3D modeling takes place using a mouse and keyboard. Bluetooth!!! The pen part is just an added bonus, although while drawing splines or creating polygons point by point, the pen also works like a mouse in tablet mode, so it's still a win.
    06-01-2014 12:22 AM
    Still in other words, the Surface Pro 3 is a very reliable machine for 2D and 3D art and modeling, which is what this thread is about. Glad to hear! Not my forte, but still good news nonetheless. :)
    06-01-2014 12:27 AM
    Obviously you're not paying attention. MOST 3D modeling takes place using a mouse and keyboard. Bluetooth!!! The pen part is just an added bonus, although while drawing splines or creating polygons point by point, the pen also works like a mouse in tablet mode, so it's still a win.
    I am paying attention.

Most 3D modeling is done with a pen/tablet, not a mouse.
    06-01-2014 12:38 AM
    I am paying attention.

Most 3D modeling is done with a pen/tablet, not a mouse.
    No, no it's not.
    06-01-2014 12:39 AM
    Still in other words, the Surface Pro 3 is a very reliable machine for 2D and 3D art and modeling, which is what this thread is about. Glad to hear! Not my forte, but still good news nonetheless. :)
    Depending on what software you use.

A person should check for compatibility before purchase.
    06-01-2014 12:40 AM
167 ... 4567