12-17-2014 12:40 AM
167 ... 567
tools
    No, no it's not.
    Maybe in motion graphics...

But outside of students, the vast majority of Maya, 3DSMax, Zbrush, and Mudbox modelers I know and see use drawing tablets such as the Intuos series.
    06-01-2014 12:47 AM
    Maybe in motion graphics...

But outside of students, the vast majority of Maya, 3DSMax, Zbrush, and Mudbox modelers I know and see use drawing tablets such as the Intuos series.
    Students? Stop insulting and slandering. Why is it your mission in life to rip on a product you have not used? *please don't answer that, I don't really want to hear it.
    06-01-2014 12:55 AM
    Students? Stop insulting and slandering. Why is it your mission in life to rip on a product you have not used? *please don't answer that, I don't really want to hear it.
    What?

So, because outside of students, the vast majority of modelers I know use tablets is insulting and slandering? LoL. Are you serious?

I have a coworker who doesn't use a tablet for modeling. He's great at modeling. But most prefer to have a tablet.

Drama much?

As for ripping on a product? I'm not ripping in it. I'm stating facts.

I WANT a Surface Pro 3. It looks fantastic. But any artist who wants to use it for a secondary/portable work machine should research compatibility first. That's it. How is that ripping it?

Drama lots.
    06-01-2014 01:05 AM
    But any artist who wants to use it for a secondary/portable work machine should research compatibility first.
    You've said that a thousand times. I'm pretty sure every knows your stance now.
    06-01-2014 01:13 AM
    You've said that a thousand times. I'm pretty sure every knows your stance now.
    Everyone except you apparently because for some reason you think that's "ripping" it.
    06-01-2014 01:16 AM
    And you're rabidly defending a product you've never used.

​What's the difference?
    06-01-2014 10:53 AM
    You 2 need to get a room...
    06-01-2014 11:06 AM
    You 2 need to get a room...
    I see your video camera. I know what your intent is and I'm not falling for it!
    Great deal and vzw8830 like this.
    06-01-2014 11:53 AM
    Obviously. People predisposed to getting this, will do so regardless of any opinions or facts.

If you have that kind of money to spend, hoping things will be fixed in the future, or that it will
    match your expectations. more power to you. (of course you can return it if it doesn't work out).

others, that already have a working solution, will be more cautious and wait it out.

it's simple too soon to gauge whether you should get something or not based on
    a few impressions. however, it's just as bad to ignore people that do already
    have experience and knowledge about the product in question.

later
    Reflexx and Kevin Rush like this.
    06-01-2014 11:57 AM
    Girls, girls, you're all pretty.

Seriously though.

No one knows for sure the level of compatibility with these applications, to be honest. I know my Ativ has a wacom and pressure sensitivity doesn't work in some software, including SAI, for instance.

Many devices require tweaks and changes by the end user to fully work. A few reviews from pre-release units with unfinished software do not prove anything.

As far as this argument concerns, I hope I can clarify, so let me know if I'm off:

KevC4D's point is seemingly that once shouldn't judge a book by its cover. So what? It's got NTrig. Doesn't mean it's bad. They [KevC4D] are seemingly even a professional, which adds credibility to what they say. There's a good chance the Pro 3 will work fine for professionals of all caliber amongst many programs.

Reflexx's point is that one shouldn't buy before knowing of its compatibility. Research before you buy. Wacom is tried and true, with years of experience. WinTab is a popular, albeit outdated, solution. As such, professionals should air on a side of caution.

However, both of you, no offense, seem to be unable to see the forest through the trees. You have taken your points to extremes and no longer seem to be to be making headway in the topic.

Lastly, I will add that, compatible or not, sometimes change is needed. What I mean by that is that there are many options on the market. However, what I've seen is that the most popular options are sometimes also behind. For instance, I've talked to and seen posted online a number of artists using SAI, and getting excited over new features, that upon looking, software such as ArtRage already has and has had for a bit. The popular options are sometimes the most behind in advancements. Sometimes, users need to be pushed by new technology to make the change to better alternatives. Whether this applies to the pro 3 has yet to be shown. But it's to be considered.
    a5cent and xandros9 like this.
    06-11-2014 12:56 AM
    I tested both at the store today.. SP3 feels much better to me
    06-11-2014 02:22 AM
    I haven't read through the seven pages of this thread, but given how dissatisfied that I am with the Wacom on my SP2, no way would I say that N-Trig kills the SP3 for me, especially without trying it out first. I almost never use my pen, because no matter what I do, it doesn't calibrate correctly, and I've tried a bunch of things, including the Surface toolkit, or whatever it is called, for calibration. It's ok on most of the screen, but at the edges, forget it. I'm not giving Wacom my loyalty after this, and this being my first Wacom product, I'd say that they've made a pretty bad first impression.
    symesmd likes this.
    06-11-2014 11:14 AM
    As for compatibility:
    N-Trig closing Wintab compatibility gap — Surface Pro Artist

N-Trig engineers enlisted my aid in better understanding the issues confronting them. Within 24 hours of our initial contact, I was given exclusive access to a new driver test build.
    [...]
    Indeed, isolated issues remain to be sorted out, but I can now report that the vast majority of Wintab software that I've tested now recognizes pen pressure on the Surface Pro 3. Additionally, I tested the new drivers on the Sony Flip 15A and Acer Aspire R7-572 and both have yielded similarly positive results.
    [...]
    ZBrush? Check. Painter? Krita? Check. Check. Mischief? SAI? MyPaint? Check. Check. Check.

Notable exceptions include the ever problematic Autodesk Mudbox, which still doesn't recognize the pen and Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw and CorelPhoto-Paint which all exhibit intermittent pen issues.

The N-Trig developers tell me that they're noticing other more subtle issues in some software which they're attempting to address before the Surface Pro 3 is released June 20.
    a5cent likes this.
    06-11-2014 01:44 PM
    I tested both at the store today.. SP3 feels much better to me
    Really now? What store, pray-tell, had a Cintiq Companion on display?
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-03-2014 01:17 PM
    Here is a list of WinTab compatible apps with the Sep '14 update.

Wintab Compatible Applications - N-trig
    11-04-2014 02:13 AM
    I am a digital artist for more than 13 years who is really loving my SP3. I also own a Cintiq for 6+ years now. SP3 pen just feels great to draw and paint, more than SP1. It is something you definitely have to try out yourself. Don't let any internet debate with technicality discourage you from experiencing it first hand. Make sure to try sketching with OneNote, I was shocked how fluid it is this time compare with SP1. I am using it often as my Togo sketchbook. WACOM Paper and Autodesk Sketchbook are also great apps to try.
    11-10-2014 10:26 PM
    12-17-2014 12:40 AM
167 ... 567