N-triq over Wacom kills the Pro 3 for me.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the debate is over. N-Trig wins.

From what has been revealed so far though, it does appear that N-trig does have a winner here.

Not sure about the "debate" though. At least from my perspective, the debate was about being skeptical and wary until there was actual feedback from real artists. I still believe that is the best thing to do for any professional.

​The only difference between then and now is that we do actually have feedback from well-known artists.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about the "debate" though. At least from my perspective, the debate was about being skeptical and wary until there was actual feedback from real artists. I still believe that is the best thing to do for any professional.

Allow me to disagree. :wink:

What you described was your personal position in this debate, which I think was always solid and uncontroversial. What this debate was mostly about, was whether it is fair to rip a pen based on a single technical spec and a brand name, without having had any actual experience with the device. I still have no opinion on the pen itself, but based on how opinions are turning, it seems that single technical spec may not have been quite as important as many professional artists suspected.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Allow me to disagree. :wink:

What you described was your personal position in this debate, which I think was always solid and uncontroversial. What this debate was mostly about, was whether it is fair to rip a pen based on a single technical spec and a brand name, without having had any actual experience with the device. I still have no opinion on the pen itself, but based on how opinions are turning, it seems that single technical spec may not have been quite as important as many professional artists suspected.

Well, I will say that most artists that I've seen have a similar position to mine.

But there are a few, like with anything, that were kind of extreme. And unfortunately, they often scream the loudest.

I think they were shocked by what was kind of like a double whammy.

First...
"No Wacom? It's N-trig? The last time I used N-trig it was horrible!"

Second...
"And the pressure sensitivity is 256 as opposed to 1024? OMG!"

If was what was sort of a bad reputation combined with the reduction in "specs" that caused epic levels of premature disappointment.

Though on the positive side, I don't personally know many artists that are such big fans of Wacom that they won't be willing to use something else that works well. It's not like Apple vs Samsung vs Microsoft. If their buddy says, "Try this..." and it works better... they'll be more than happy to switch. Even if at first they claim that the sky is falling.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Very dissapointed as well. Wacom is awesome, but I'm sure the decision made to allow the screen to be slimmer, save money, and the advantage of ntrig is no cursor jumping since the pen registers on the top level and not the bottom pane. With that said I will be open to using ntrig but wish they had chosen wacom.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Too bad the WinTab drivers suck.

Do we know what art software works?

Autodesk products? Apparently Sketchook Pro works, right?

What about Mudbox? Maya? 3DS Max? How good are the drivers there?

I hear that it's a no-go with Pixologic. No Zbrush sculpting.

​Blender? C4D? Modo?

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Too bad the WinTab drivers suck.

Do we know what art software works?

Autodesk products? Apparently Sketchook Pro works, right?

What about Mudbox? Maya? 3DS Max? How good are the drivers there?

I hear that it's a no-go with Pixologic. No Zbrush sculpting.

​Blender? C4D? Modo?

Perhaps they'll push an update post-Release? And there's also a chance the drivers work best on the Surface Pro 3, i would think.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you're going to find an official list anywhere.

All that we can do right now is look at who has a Surface 3 and see what works for them and what doesn't.
I'm just saying, sometimes there's a setting or different drivers that can help. Kind of like how the surface 2 out of the box can't do Photoshop, but you can make it work. That site just lists programs with some short answers. I'm just skeptical that this person actually tried.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm just saying, sometimes there's a setting or different drivers that can help. Kind of like how the surface 2 out of the box can't do Photoshop, but you can make it work. That site just lists programs with some short answers. I'm just skeptical that this person actually tried.

He's been a big Surface proponent. That's why he was given one. He pushes for artists to adopt Surface. Of course he's not going to put stuff up without trying.

N-trig's WinTab drivers appear to work well for Adobe. It was probably optimized for that. But for other software... not as much. It's not a surprise. I believe that WinTab was created by Wacom.

Windows has their own set of APIs for pen communication. If those are used, then the N-trig will work fine. It's just not adopted by most software yet.

Artists will have to pressure the devs of their favorite programs to support it.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
He's been a big Surface proponent. That's why he was given one. He pushes for artists to adopt Surface. Of course he's not going to put stuff up without trying.

N-trig's WinTab drivers appear to work well for Adobe. It was probably optimized for that. But for other software... not as much. It's not a surprise. I believe that WinTab was created by Wacom.

Windows has their own set of APIs for pen communication. If those are used, then the N-trig will work fine. It's just not adopted by most software yet.

Artists will have to pressure the devs of their favorite programs to support it.

Im surprised they even tested Photoshop, since an update will arrive soon that optimizes it for surface, which makes me think WinTab drivers will be unnecessary for it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm an artist, and I will not wait. Thanks for trying to speak for me, but I'm fine making my own decisions. This is the problem with reviewers, they don't give facts, they just give opinions. THANKS!

A review is an opinion.

The facts that led up to the opinion are laid out in the review. It wasn't only opinion as you are suggesting.

You dont need to share the opinion. But it's just his current recommendation. He wasn't trying to speak for you.

I'm sure that it will be updated if driver support increases.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
A review is an opinion.

The facts that led up to the opinion are laid out in the review. It wasn't only opinion as you are suggesting.

You dont need to share the opinion. But it's just his current recommendation. He wasn't trying to speak for you.

I'm sure that it will be updated if driver support increases.

He said artists should wait. No thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss