N-triq over Wacom kills the Pro 3 for me.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The poster said that, not the review.

The review said,
I was only talking about the poster. I personally don't read many reviews, mostly just those from sources I know. And I take all the info lightly. I've owned Surface RT's (2 of them) A Surface Pro and a Pro 2. I know the quality and I don't need someone who's 'played' with it for a few days to tell me about it. These kinds of people often get it wrong. Also, I've had nothing but the best experiences with Microsoft Stores and their support, there is no reason to not trust them.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I was only talking about the poster. I personally don't read many reviews, mostly just those from sources I know. And I take all the info lightly. I've owned Surface RT's (2 of them) A Surface Pro and a Pro 2. I know the quality and I don't need someone who's 'played' with it for a few days to tell me about it. These kinds of people often get it wrong. Also, I've had nothing but the best experiences with Microsoft Stores and their support, there is no reason to not trust them.

I just get the vibe from your posts like you're offended by people who have questions or criticisms of Surface. Maybe its just the way text comes across online.

Not everyone who has a criticism is implying that there are quality issues with the device. Most people that post at WPCentral would just like it to be awesome in every way. We all would love an excuse to spend $2000 for the i7 version.

Unfortunately, for many of us it has to be a practical decision if we're going to spend that much money. So we have to have it useful for all the programs we use on a daily basis. So we rely on feedback from others in similar industries to inform us about what it can and can't do with certain software.

I won't ever be able to go to an MS store and install Zbrush, Mudbox, Maya, C4D, etc... on those machines to try them out.

So far it appears that 2D artists are largely covered if they mainly use Photoshop, Sketchbook, or a handful of other 2D programs. Others dont recognize pressure sensitivity yet.

3D artists can't really use the Surface Pro 3 pen for their 3D software.

But if you're a 3D artist that can afford to buy one as a fun play device and not for work, then awesome. More power to you.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I just get the vibe from your posts like you're offended by people who have questions or criticisms of Surface. Maybe its just the way text comes across online.

Not everyone who has a criticism is implying that there are quality issues with the device. Most people that post at WPCentral would just like it to be awesome in every way. We all would love an excuse to spend $2000 for the i7 version.

Unfortunately, for many of us it has to be a practical decision if we're going to spend that much money. So we have to have it useful for all the programs we use on a daily basis. So we rely on feedback from others in similar industries to inform us about what it can and can't do with certain software.

I won't ever be able to go to an MS store and install Zbrush, Mudbox, Maya, C4D, etc... on those machines to try them out.

So far it appears that 2D artists are largely covered if they mainly use Photoshop, Sketchbook, or a handful of other 2D programs. Others dont recognize pressure sensitivity yet.

3D artists can't really use the Surface Pro 3 pen for their 3D software.

But if you're a 3D artist that can afford to buy one as a fun play device and not for work, then awesome. More power to you.

First off, don't try to ever figure out my feelings. I just don't like it when someone says artists shouldn't get this, without actually giving a GOOD REASON. There are plenty of artists who are and will get a surface 3 because it is amazing.

And if you must know, I do 2D art like with Fresh Paint and others programs, I also do 3D work too. I did 4 seasons of graphics for a cake show on TLC, a show on the history channel and I've also done 3d/motion graphics for live ppv events with the top mma company around. I'm not going to name them, but most people will know what those shows are. I can tell you that the surface pro/2/3 are amazing machines. Sure it takes some modifying of drivers and stuff to get it to work properly, but it usually does work. Sure, there are some 3d artists who only do zbrush, or something like that. But at some point you still have to actually do the modeling and that's normally done with a mouse. I do use other programs, but I mostly deal with Cinema 4D, which is where i got my user name from(I use to post on a Cinema 4D board). Although the pen works in C4D, but with the jumpy/inaccurate cursor on the pro/pro2, it makes it hard. But still, the fact that I can 3d model on a device that small and portable is wonderful. I take my Surface everywhere I go. It saves me lots of time driving around. If someone needs something, I can do it wherever i'm at. In the past that would have been a 30 minute drive to the other side of Vegas, then 30 minutes back from my office. Sure a laptop would also work, but laptops are just big enough that they are not that portable. Even if you get a super portable laptop, it doesn't have the touchscreen or the digitizer. Add all those things up and you can't go wrong. (yeah, I realize that sentence might be messed up, but i'm in a rush here)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
First off, don't try to ever figure out my feelings. I just don't like it when someone says artists shouldn't get this, without actually giving a GOOD REASON. There are plenty of artists who are and will get a surface 3 because it is amazing.
You're on a discussion board stating your feelings. Telling people to not try to figure out your feelings is pretty weird.

People who are stating good reasons that you are ignoring. If those reasons don't apply to you personally that's good and fine. But they do apply for many others.

And if you must know, I do 2D art like with Fresh Paint and others programs, I also do 3D work too. I did 4 seasons of graphics for a cake show on TLC, a show on the history channel and I've also done 3d/motion graphics for live ppv events with the top mma company around. I'm not going to name them, but most people will know what those shows are. I can tell you that the surface pro/2/3 are amazing machines. Sure it takes some modifying of drivers and stuff to get it to work properly, but it usually does work.

The Surface Pro 3 has completely different driver challenges than the SP2. The SP2 used a Wacom digitizer, and WinTab was created by Wacom. Pretty much all pro software supports WinTab.

The SP3 uses a digitizer that works best using the native Windows drivers. For WinTab they have compatibility issues seriously limiting functionality. That's just the fact of how things are at the present time.

Do you plan to use the SP3 for work? If so, you should check to make sure it works with C4D.

Sure, there are some 3d artists who only do zbrush, or something like that. But at some point you still have to actually do the modeling and that's normally done with a mouse.

I rarely ever use a mouse when modeling.

A pen and a Bluetooth keypad mapped with hot keys is ideal on a Surface. Well, IDEAL would be to have hardware buttons on the tablet, but it's not really necessary. I'd rather use a Surface than a Cintique if they're even close.

I do use other programs, but I mostly deal with Cinema 4D, which is where i got my user name from(I use to post on a Cinema 4D board). Although the pen works in C4D, but with the jumpy/inaccurate cursor on the pro/pro2, it makes it hard. But still, the fact that I can 3d model on a device that small and portable is wonderful. I take my Surface everywhere I go. It saves me lots of time driving around. If someone needs something, I can do it wherever i'm at. In the past that would have been a 30 minute drive to the other side of Vegas, then 30 minutes back from my office. Sure a laptop would also work, but laptops are just big enough that they are not that portable. Even if you get a super portable laptop, it doesn't have the touchscreen or the digitizer. Add all those things up and you can't go wrong. (yeah, I realize that sentence might be messed up, but i'm in a rush here)

We don't know yet if C4D works with the N-trig digitizer yet. If it does, great. But if it's something that matters to you, then it's worth finding out unless you plan to buy it regardless.

But I can see where the SP3 would be great for all 2D work when you're out and about.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
You're on a discussion board stating your feelings. Telling people to not try to figure out your feelings is pretty weird.

People who are stating good reasons that you are ignoring. If those reasons don't apply to you personally that's good and fine. But they do apply for many others.

The Surface Pro 3 has completely different driver challenges than the SP2. The SP2 used a Wacom digitizer, and WinTab was created by Wacom. Pretty much all pro software supports WinTab.

The SP3 uses a digitizer that works best using the native Windows drivers. For WinTab they have compatibility issues seriously limiting functionality. That's just the fact of how things are at the present time.

Do you plan to use the SP3 for work? If so, you should check to make sure it works with C4D.

I rarely ever use a mouse when modeling.

We don't know yet if C4D works with the N-trig digitizer yet. If it does, great. But if it's something that matters to you, then it's worth finding out unless you plan to buy it regardless.

But I can see where the SP3 would be great for all 2D work when you're out and about.

Obviously you're not paying attention. MOST 3D modeling takes place using a mouse and keyboard. Bluetooth!!! The pen part is just an added bonus, although while drawing splines or creating polygons point by point, the pen also works like a mouse in tablet mode, so it's still a win.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Still in other words, the Surface Pro 3 is a very reliable machine for 2D and 3D art and modeling, which is what this thread is about. Glad to hear! Not my forte, but still good news nonetheless. :)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Obviously you're not paying attention. MOST 3D modeling takes place using a mouse and keyboard. Bluetooth!!! The pen part is just an added bonus, although while drawing splines or creating polygons point by point, the pen also works like a mouse in tablet mode, so it's still a win.

I am paying attention.

Most 3D modeling is done with a pen/tablet, not a mouse.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Still in other words, the Surface Pro 3 is a very reliable machine for 2D and 3D art and modeling, which is what this thread is about. Glad to hear! Not my forte, but still good news nonetheless. :)

Depending on what software you use.

A person should check for compatibility before purchase.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe in motion graphics...

But outside of students, the vast majority of Maya, 3DSMax, Zbrush, and Mudbox modelers I know and see use drawing tablets such as the Intuos series.

Students? Stop insulting and slandering. Why is it your mission in life to rip on a product you have not used? *please don't answer that, I don't really want to hear it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Students? Stop insulting and slandering. Why is it your mission in life to rip on a product you have not used? *please don't answer that, I don't really want to hear it.
What?

So, because outside of students, the vast majority of modelers I know use tablets is insulting and slandering? LoL. Are you serious?

I have a coworker who doesn't use a tablet for modeling. He's great at modeling. But most prefer to have a tablet.

Drama much?

As for ripping on a product? I'm not ripping in it. I'm stating facts.

I WANT a Surface Pro 3. It looks fantastic. But any artist who wants to use it for a secondary/portable work machine should research compatibility first. That's it. How is that ripping it?

Drama lots.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Obviously. People predisposed to getting this, will do so regardless of any opinions or facts.

If you have that kind of money to spend, hoping things will be fixed in the future, or that it will
match your expectations. more power to you. (of course you can return it if it doesn't work out).

others, that already have a working solution, will be more cautious and wait it out.

it's simple too soon to gauge whether you should get something or not based on
a few impressions. however, it's just as bad to ignore people that do already
have experience and knowledge about the product in question.

later

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Girls, girls, you're all pretty.

Seriously though.

No one knows for sure the level of compatibility with these applications, to be honest. I know my Ativ has a wacom and pressure sensitivity doesn't work in some software, including SAI, for instance.

Many devices require tweaks and changes by the end user to fully work. A few reviews from pre-release units with unfinished software do not prove anything.

As far as this argument concerns, I hope I can clarify, so let me know if I'm off:

KevC4D's point is seemingly that once shouldn't judge a book by its cover. So what? It's got NTrig. Doesn't mean it's bad. They [KevC4D] are seemingly even a professional, which adds credibility to what they say. There's a good chance the Pro 3 will work fine for professionals of all caliber amongst many programs.

Reflexx's point is that one shouldn't buy before knowing of its compatibility. Research before you buy. Wacom is tried and true, with years of experience. WinTab is a popular, albeit outdated, solution. As such, professionals should air on a side of caution.

However, both of you, no offense, seem to be unable to see the forest through the trees. You have taken your points to extremes and no longer seem to be to be making headway in the topic.

Lastly, I will add that, compatible or not, sometimes change is needed. What I mean by that is that there are many options on the market. However, what I've seen is that the most popular options are sometimes also behind. For instance, I've talked to and seen posted online a number of artists using SAI, and getting excited over new features, that upon looking, software such as ArtRage already has and has had for a bit. The popular options are sometimes the most behind in advancements. Sometimes, users need to be pushed by new technology to make the change to better alternatives. Whether this applies to the pro 3 has yet to be shown. But it's to be considered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers