Surface Pro 3 Mini delayed?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

A lot of us thought that MS would be revealing a mini version of the already awesome Surface Pro,
but this didn't happen! Some were shocked and others couldn't care less :amaze:

In any case the guys over at Bloomberg did some "digging" around and came up with this:

Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella and Executive Vice President Stephen Elop decided that the product in development wasn?t different enough from rivals and probably wouldn?t be a hit, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans weren?t public. Engineers had been working on the device and had planned to unveil it as early as today at an event in New York, two of the people said.

Instead, the company removed any references to Surface devices based on Qualcomm?s processors from the event and unveiled Surface Pro 3, an upgraded version of its pricier Windows-based tablet, which uses chips from Intel Corp. (INTC) and features a larger 12-inch screen. Microsoft is still working on smaller versions, Panos Panay, who runs the Surface business, said in an interview after the event. Panay declined to provide details on future products.

I think this is just speculation, but it doesn't seem that far-fetched so I decided to share it :cool:

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Theres already a thread about the surface Mini's missing status: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...046-so-surface-mini-officially-vaporware.html

Also:
No Surface Mini? What Microsoft didn't announce - CNET
Did Microsoft Kill the Surface Mini or Just Postpone It?

The "axing" of the Mini is just one of the many speculations available, and since unnamed sources are not always reliable (remember how we were supposed to get Windows 8.1 when it RTMed, and then a week before RTM "sources" backtracked and said it was sticking to the October release schedule?), take what you posted with a grain of salt. Furthermore, the Mini was rumored with RT type specs, and the Pro "Mini" was merely speculation that ended up being the actual Pro 3

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
We really don't know the whole true story. We can just speculate. Had MS revealed the mini Surface then it would have been bashed. I think they made the right decision and MS OEM partners are having good sales of Win8.1 8" tablets so why compete with them now? It is a good move by MS.

Hey guys,

A lot of us thought that MS would be revealing a mini version of the already awesome Surface Pro,
but this didn't happen! Some were shocked and others couldn't care less :amaze:

In any case the guys over at Bloomberg did some "digging" around and came up with this:

Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella and Executive Vice President Stephen Elop decided that the product in development wasn’t different enough from rivals and probably wouldn’t be a hit, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans weren’t public. Engineers had been working on the device and had planned to unveil it as early as today at an event in New York, two of the people said.

Instead, the company removed any references to Surface devices based on Qualcomm’s processors from the event and unveiled Surface Pro 3, an upgraded version of its pricier Windows-based tablet, which uses chips from Intel Corp. (INTC) and features a larger 12-inch screen. Microsoft is still working on smaller versions, Panos Panay, who runs the Surface business, said in an interview after the event. Panay declined to provide details on future products.

I think this is just speculation, but it doesn't seem that far-fetched so I decided to share it :cool:

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Bloomberg's "digging" is them making up a fake story about how it was canceled last minute to cover their *** for their fake leaks that said it was being announced. That is all. Microsoft is waiting for Windows 9 and the merging of phone and tablet. If the 8 inch ARM tablet is going to make it, they need to wait until they have the best OS for it.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
You're all missing a rather important point. The point being driven home during the SP3 presentation was all about how it replaced both your tablet and laptop. Like how most people in the audience sat with MacBook Pros and a tablet. Releasing a Surface Mini at this point would have done nothing but undermine the message they were sending about the Pro 3.

Personally, I've got a variety of "mini" tablets as well as a Surface RT, Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2. I used to use the smaller 7-8" devices for web browsing, online shopping, reading books and so on, but since replacing my phone with a Lumia 1520 I've found that I almost exclusively use the phone and the SP2. My 6" phone it's large enough to work as well as a Kindle or iPad Mini (and it's a phone, so I'd carry it anyway).

Infamy79

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
You're all missing a rather important point. The point being driven home during the SP3 presentation was all about how it replaced both your tablet and laptop. Like how most people in the audience sat with MacBook Pros and a tablet. Releasing a Surface Mini at this point would have done nothing but undermine the message they were sending about the Pro 3.
This is the point I was going to make also, while I think they could have used the note taking section to segue into a discussion about a smaller note taking tablet, it really would have undermined the core message that the Surface Pro 3 was able to remove the need for multiple devices.
Clearly not everyone wants a 12" tablet/laptop hybrid and for consumption a smaller device makes sense, but it wouldn't have fit in with the event.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)