06-23-2014 12:46 PM
47 12
tools
    So here is Microsoft announcing the SP3 7 months after SP2 and "all is good, that's the way technology goes". mmm, ok.

I'm not saying that I am upset. I have a Surface 2 and no plans to get an SP3 (until the app gap is closed). What I AM saying is that if people are upset at the short time between generations, it is understandable because contrary to what you said, it is NOT the norm.
    Well it's 8+ months to be more accurate. The SP3 has been announced, but it won't be "released" for another month and the i3/i7 versions may be up to two months later. I'm not saying that the short time between Surface releases is ideal, but if the "norm" is 12 months and that is acceptable then I don't think it's fair to say that 8 months is "kicking customers in the teeth." It's the hyperbole that that I'm questioning.

As a former owner of a SP1 and a current owner of a SP2, I too would like to see the release schedule spread out a bit and more predictable. However, I'm willing to give MS some slack in this case because the Surface Pro is such a unique and ground breaking product. It's also being developed at a time when the required hardware for such a form factor is only now becoming a possibility. For example, Intel's Haswell was still in development when the original SP was released. Microsoft is the only company out there that has put in enough R&D investment to create this form factor and get it "right". I don't fault them for developing it over a few iterations. It's not like my SP2 is any less of a device than it was before the SP3 was announced.

At some point down the road Apple and others will probably have products similar to the Surface Pro. When they do I wouldn't be surprised if the first version is near SP3 specs right from the start. However, it won't be because MS likes to "kick their customers in the teeth" and Apple is always awesome to it's customers ("all of you are holding your phones wrong" -Steve Jobs re iPhone 4 antennae flaw). It will be because MS has already done the R&D, pioneered a new form factor, and figured out what works and what doesn't. Their competitors will have the luxury of copying, reverse engineering, and creating products long after the required hardware exists. All of that is fine, but I'm ok with MS moving quickly with SP releases since it is a cutting edge product. I'm just happy to be able to use such a cutting edge product and the Surface Pro 1/2 have been game changers for me.
    BobLobIaw and 1jaxstate1 like this.
    05-23-2014 02:52 PM
    Well it's 8+ months to be more accurate. The SP3 has been announced, but it won't be "released" for another month and the i3/i7 versions may be up to two months later. I'm not saying that the short time between Surface releases is ideal, but if the "norm" is 12 months and that is acceptable then I don't think it's fair to say that 8 months is "kicking customers in the teeth." It's the hyperbole that that I'm questioning.
    Sounds like one can infer that you believe that Apple was treated unfairly over the 8 month gap between the iPad 3 and 4.

We simply disagree. I'll leave it at that.
    05-23-2014 05:39 PM
    If you bought the device and you needed it at that time, wouldn't it still be useful.

My Surface Pro 1 is still just as great as the day I bought it. I don't upgrade my computers every year, about ever 4 years.

If somebody felt cheated between the iPad 3 and 4 there wasn't much of a difference except for the lightning cable. The iPad 3 and 4 run the same games, apps about the same size. (Yes I bought an iPad 3).

The iPad 4 was a minor update.

The surface pro 3 is not a minor update but it is also a device that could be considered in a different class. 12 inches vs the 10.6 on the sp2.

Because the Surface Pro 3 came out doesn't mean your Surface Pro 2 is any worse. If it is such a big deal sell it on Craigslist and buy the SP3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BobLobIaw and 1jaxstate1 like this.
    05-23-2014 07:15 PM
    In most cases the "you go in knowing it'll be outdated in 6 months" rule would apply and people shouldn't complain but this is different in my opinion.

If you JUST BOUGHT (a month or two ago) an SP2 it's perfectly reasonable to want the option to trade yours in. It's not a new concept and has been done before plenty of times.

For those that bought theirs earlier I think their gripe is with the release/update management and I don''t think t's fair to call them wanting an upgrade option unjustified entitlement. They simply shouldn't have released it so soon. I'd even take it as far as arguing that SP2 should've never happened. I'm sure they were already toying with this form factor (whether conceptually or working with a real prototype) while developing the SP2. Since the S2 and original form factors are nearly identical and they planned on releasing what eventually became SP3 this soon, they could've just as easily held off on an intermediary product release and had SP2=SP3.

The fact that they didn't comes off as either a money grab or poor release cycle management, possibly both. That's what rubs me the wrong way.
    05-24-2014 06:43 AM
    The difference in size and aspect ratio alone make them two completely different devices.

Based on the number of SP2 commercials still running, I think they consider the SP3 as an add to the entire line and that some may still want the SP2.

I don't think they ever said the SP3 was introduced to replace the SP2...did they?
    rdubmu and BobLobIaw like this.
    05-24-2014 07:42 AM
    The difference in size and aspect ratio alone make them two completely different devices.

Based on the number of SP2 commercials still running, I think they consider the SP3 as an add to the entire line and that some may still want the SP2.

I don't think they ever said the SP3 was introduced to replace the SP2...did they?
    If they were both launched at the same time, which would you have bought?
    05-24-2014 07:50 AM
    If you bought the device and you needed it at that time, wouldn't it still be useful.

My Surface Pro 1 is still just as great as the day I bought it. I don't upgrade my computers every year, about ever 4 years.

If somebody felt cheated between the iPad 3 and 4 there wasn't much of a difference except for the lightning cable. The iPad 3 and 4 run the same games, apps about the same size. (Yes I bought an iPad 3).

The iPad 4 was a minor update.

The surface pro 3 is not a minor update but it is also a device that could be considered in a different class. 12 inches vs the 10.6 on the sp2.
    No, the iPad 4 wasn't a minor update.

iPad 3: 0.3MP front-facing camera
    iPad 4: 1.2MP front-facing camera

iPad 3: A5X processor
    iPad 4: A6X processor (DOUBLE the speed of the A5X)

iPad 3: 30-pin connector
    iPad 4: Lightning connector

iPad 3: single band WiFi
    iPad 4: dual band/dual stream WiFi

iPad 3: 11 hours battery life
    iPad 4: 12+ hours battery life

iPad 3: 4G limited international connectivity
    iPad 4: 4G LTE international connectivity

It sounds like you don't think it is helpful to consumers to have a regular release cycle of products so that they can make an informed decision. I find that odd.
    05-24-2014 05:16 PM
    off topic, how do I make a new post on website
    05-24-2014 05:18 PM
    If they were both launched at the same time, which would you have bought?
    If I was looking for more of a tablet that is good for reading and watching movies...and I can happen to do work on, the SP2.

If work was more of my focus and tablet functions were secondary, the SP3
    MDBulldog and BobLobIaw like this.
    05-24-2014 07:46 PM
    If I was looking for more of a tablet that is good for reading and watching movies...and I can happen to do work on, the SP2.

If work was more of my focus and tablet functions were secondary, the SP3
    See this is what I mean. If you were looking for a tablet that's "good for reading and watching moves" you'd get a Surface RT. The other category wuld be productivity and the SP2 and SP3 overlap in this regard. If it boiled down to paying $200 extra for an i7 256 gb sp3 over a 256gb SP2 you can't honestly say you'd choose the sp2. More power, better power management, beefed up hardware and a bigger screen for $200 more bucks?
    05-24-2014 10:49 PM
    See this is what I mean. If you were looking for a tablet that's "good for reading and watching moves" you'd get a Surface RT. The other category wuld be productivity and the SP2 and SP3 overlap in this regard. If it boiled down to paying $200 extra for an i7 256 gb sp3 over a 256gb SP2 you can't honestly say you'd choose the sp2. More power, better power management, beefed up hardware and a bigger screen for $200 more bucks?
    I think cost becomes less of an issue and the size of the screen is more of an issue.

No different than the pricing of iPads.
    05-25-2014 10:14 PM
    Honestly I'm a little upset Microsoft is not offering existing SP2 owners a way to easily upgrade to SP3.

They need to take a page out of Apple's book and offer trade in programs that help lock in loyal users. Am hoping someone at Microsoft is paying attention here.
    05-25-2014 10:20 PM
    Honestly I'm a little upset Microsoft is not offering existing SP2 owners a way to easily upgrade to SP3.

They need to take a page out of Apple's book and offer trade in programs that help lock in loyal users. Am hoping someone at Microsoft is paying attention here.
    I don't disagree that Microsoft should consider having a trade-in program, but if they did, it would undoubtedly still be more cost-effective for you to sell your SP2. Trade-in programs are great for those that don't like to deal with used equipment, but like with used car trade-ins it's never a good deal for the consumer.
    05-25-2014 10:33 PM
    There's always been a trade in program, its called eBay.
    05-25-2014 11:14 PM

They never came out and said directly SP3 was a replacement for the SP2, but their actions seem to be speaking louder than words at the moment. If you go to the Microsoft Store they've replaced SP2 with SP3 on the Surface page, you have to search for the Surface Pro 2 using the search box, and once you find it, currently only the 512 and 128 are in stock... most likely the page is just around for inventory clearance.
    05-27-2014 10:13 AM
    Wacom vs N-trig is going to be a big factor that you're leaving out. More power doesn't always = better performance. Did you see the price for the i7? It's more than a $200 difference. Also, bigger screen doesn't always = better screen.
    05-27-2014 10:42 AM
    They never came out and said directly SP3 was a replacement for the SP2, but their actions seem to be speaking louder than words at the moment. If you go to the Microsoft Store they've replaced SP2 with SP3 on the Surface page, you have to search for the Surface Pro 2 using the search box, and once you find it, currently only the 512 and 128 are in stock... most likely the page is just around for inventory clearance.
    Or until a mini version is announced?
    05-27-2014 11:15 AM
    Technically the May 21 date is an announcement date.. not ship date. Although some models release in June. The SP3 i7 actually releases this August 31.
    06-04-2014 06:17 PM
    I asked this question to #Surface on Facebook and they gave me this link. Not a great deal though :D

Here was their reply, "Yes there is! Try these links: Recycle for Rewards and http://surfac.ms/phb7w5"
    06-06-2014 03:38 PM
    Plenty of SP2s at BestBuy. The SP3 is the SP2 I wanted I read a lot on my SP2 so the larger better screen and weight will help a lot. Now if I could just my company to let me use it as my primary device I'd be set.
    06-07-2014 08:52 AM
    I completely agree with this comment!

I purchased my Surface Pro 2 in Late December/Early January as well.

I have just about stopped using my Surface Pro 2 due to the small screen size.

The Surface Pro 3 with the 12" screen would make it possible for me to work.

I sure hope a trade-in credit program is offered by Microsoft!
    06-23-2014 12:45 PM
    I would have purchased the Surface Pro 3 for the larger screen size.
    06-23-2014 12:46 PM
47 12