possible surface pro 2 trade in program?

xsessive182

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

Like many i am really impressed with the surface pro 3 .

Heres the thing i bought my sp2 last December early January of this year (128gb bundle) and you can imagine how i feel lest than six months later with this announcement

Im sure im not the only one (hell some may have even bought more recently)

My thought (and i really hope it happens) is that ms may hace some sort of trade in program for the sp3, which woul really lessen the blow of all ready have a much better device muche less than a year out

Spending anothe 1200ish plus a 120 for the cover again in the same year is a little bit hard jajajaja

You guys thoughts?

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
They probably will have some sort of trade in program, similar to how they, and other retailers had one for the Surface RT to Surface 2, however whether or not that will be a worthwhile trade in is a different story...

They probably should not have gotten on a less than year release cycle for the Surface line because now people that are thinking about getting a Surface Pro 3 in a month are going to begin to wonder if they should wait an extra few months and see what the next version has... This is especially trust since the Surface Pro 3, while redesigned should have been considered a form factor change rather than a iteration change (e.g. Surface Pro 2 Max vs. Surface Pro 3).

xsessive182

May 21, 2014
Visit site
My same thoughts

I mean if it wss like a minor upgrade lets say like the gs4 to gs5 then ok il skip this gen but this is more like iphone 4s to 5s lol

Seems like a smack in the face

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Kind of a smack in the face definitely... now was the time they needed to release the Surface mini rather than go after the people already happy with their Surface Pro 2's (if I recall, the better selling of the Surface 2 line) to try and get more milk from a recently tapped cow.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
They should definitely have some sort of trade in program. Besides it being a smack in the face, the target market for the sp3 at this point probably owns an sp2 that they've owned less than a year. None of them (myself included) is dipping back into their wallet again so soon. The Surface market isn't large enough for them to pull something like this. I blew half my friggin bonus on the sp2!

xsessive182

May 21, 2014
Visit site
i know for almost a year all i heard was surface mini and mpre surface mini

then baamm they drop this us

and i bet some of you spent a lot on those propiatery accesories(i bought 3 chargers)

almost bought the power cover and docking (id be hell pissed there)

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Your Surface Pro 2 is still a great device! No reason to trade it in. Something better will always come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
i never said it was bad, i love my device

the timing of the purchase is what im saying that sucked

ok, you should've done what I've done! Its going to be outdated anyway, go let's go all the way and get a notebook thats already four years out of date! and think of the money saved!

phone? get the phone that's 2 years out of date too!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Kind of a smack in the face definitely... now was the time they needed to release the Surface mini rather than go after the people already happy with their Surface Pro 2's (if I recall, the better selling of the Surface 2 line) to try and get more milk from a recently tapped cow.
kicking loyal/trusting customers in the teeth... It's the Microsoft way.

I highly doubt that they'll produce a Surface mini. Seriously, who would buy an 8" Windows RT Surface for $350 or 8" Windows x86 Surface for $399?

I suspect that the timing of the SP3 announcement and lack of any RT-based news is connected to Apple's WWDC in June.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Well, current Surface Pro 2's don't work any less great do they?

Nobody's forcing anyone to buy the Pro 3. I think.
Hey, if customers of SP2's feel cheated Microsoft should be concerned. If you're not, that does nothing to address the concerns of those who bought SP2's who feel cheated. It's not unreasonable for people who purchased and SP2 4 months ago (when they actually were available in significant quantities) to feel a bit short-changed by the announcement of the SP3. Many customers of the iPad3 were rightfully upset at the release of the iPad4 4 months later. I don't see why Microsoft customers should be more accommodating to Microsoft.

Do you have a Surface Pro 2? If so, when did you buy it?

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey, if customers of SP2's feel cheated Microsoft should be concerned. If you're not, that does nothing to address the concerns of those who bought SP2's who feel cheated. It's not unreasonable for people who purchased and SP2 4 months ago (when they actually were available in significant quantities) to feel a bit short-changed by the announcement of the SP3. Many customers of the iPad3 were rightfully upset at the release of the iPad4 4 months later. I don't see why Microsoft customers should be more accommodating to Microsoft.

Do you have a Surface Pro 2? If so, when did you buy it?
How would companies ever win that battle? Let's say this had come out eighteen months after the release of the SP2. What if you happened to put off purchasing a SP2 until one month before the release of the SP3? You'd still fee "cheated" (even though you have no right to, because you got what you paid for). We all know that there will always be something newer and better coming. If you're going to jump in at all, you have to jump in someplace.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
How would companies ever win that battle? Let's say this had come out eighteen months after the release of the SP2. What if you happened to put off purchasing a SP2 until one month before the release of the SP3? You'd still fee "cheated" (even though you have no right to, because you got what you paid for). We all know that there will always be something newer and better coming. If you're going to jump in at all, you have to jump in someplace.
Companies win that battle by:
(A) having a predictable release cycle
(B) incremental updates

Those are the two mechanisms that a company can use to "manage customer expectations". This is something that Apple does well. The one time that I can remember when they didn't, was when they released the iPad 4 four months after the iPad 3. They received a lot of flack... even amongst die-hard Apple fans.

You and others are welcome to have a "too bad, so sad, sucks to be you" dismissive attitude, but that is not the way to develop customer loyalty. And then when the market rejects Microsoft's offerings you can then dismiss THAT as "stupid biased press".

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a SP2, have had it for about 5 months. I don't feel cheated or that MS owes me some type of trade in program. I actually prefer my SP2 with wacom. The new slimmer design and kickstand is cool, but my SP2 still does exactly what I bought it to do.
(B) incremental updates

Those are the two mechanisms that a company can use to "manage customer expectations". This is something that Apple does well. The one time that I can remember when they didn't, was when they released the iPad 4 four months after the iPad 3. They received a lot of flack... even amongst die-hard Apple fans.

You and others are welcome to have a "too bad, so sad, sucks to be you" dismissive attitude, but that is not the way to develop customer loyalty. And then when the market rejects Microsoft's offerings you can then dismiss THAT as "stupid biased press".

andrantos

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I can see a trade in program for very recent SP2 buyers... that makes sense. However, when I buy a piece of tech, I understand its going to be "outdated" within 5-6 months.

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I'll get a SP3 but not until I can get a dock for it. The dock has really made my Surfaces work at their optimum when combined with a large touch screen monitor.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I can see a trade in program for very recent SP2 buyers... that makes sense. However, when I buy a piece of tech, I understand its going to be "outdated" within 5-6 months.

And the best part is that the SP2 isn't outdated just because they are rolling out the SP3. I don't even consider my original SP to be outdated because it's such a solid device in its own right.

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
(B) incremental updates

Actually, I think it could be argued that this is a new product, because of the increase in size. I think there would be some people who won't be interested in this because they think it's too large. I didn't say "too bad, so sad, ...", you're putting words in my mouth.
I just don't think a company owes me anything except a product that works as sold. And, truly, no company has the loyalty that Apple has (for a variety of reasons). They are unique in that respect. And, personally (although currently I'm into Windows Phones and Surface tablets), I will never feel loyalty to a corporation. I'm loyal to me and that means always keeping my options open when any company develops a product that meets my needs. Anything else seems like a foolish use of my finances.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss