06-23-2014 12:46 PM
47 12
tools
    Hi guys,

Like many i am really impressed with the surface pro 3 .

Heres the thing i bought my sp2 last December early January of this year (128gb bundle) and you can imagine how i feel lest than six months later with this announcement

Im sure im not the only one (hell some may have even bought more recently)

My thought (and i really hope it happens) is that ms may hace some sort of trade in program for the sp3, which woul really lessen the blow of all ready have a much better device muche less than a year out

Spending anothe 1200ish plus a 120 for the cover again in the same year is a little bit hard jajajaja

You guys thoughts?
    05-21-2014 05:00 AM
    They probably will have some sort of trade in program, similar to how they, and other retailers had one for the Surface RT to Surface 2, however whether or not that will be a worthwhile trade in is a different story...

They probably should not have gotten on a less than year release cycle for the Surface line because now people that are thinking about getting a Surface Pro 3 in a month are going to begin to wonder if they should wait an extra few months and see what the next version has... This is especially trust since the Surface Pro 3, while redesigned should have been considered a form factor change rather than a iteration change (e.g. Surface Pro 2 Max vs. Surface Pro 3).
    05-21-2014 05:27 AM
    My same thoughts

I mean if it wss like a minor upgrade lets say like the gs4 to gs5 then ok il skip this gen but this is more like iphone 4s to 5s lol

Seems like a smack in the face
    05-21-2014 05:31 AM
    Kind of a smack in the face definitely... now was the time they needed to release the Surface mini rather than go after the people already happy with their Surface Pro 2's (if I recall, the better selling of the Surface 2 line) to try and get more milk from a recently tapped cow.
    05-21-2014 05:37 AM
    They should definitely have some sort of trade in program. Besides it being a smack in the face, the target market for the sp3 at this point probably owns an sp2 that they've owned less than a year. None of them (myself included) is dipping back into their wallet again so soon. The Surface market isn't large enough for them to pull something like this. I blew half my friggin bonus on the sp2!
    05-21-2014 05:42 AM
    i know for almost a year all i heard was surface mini and mpre surface mini

then baamm they drop this us

and i bet some of you spent a lot on those propiatery accesories(i bought 3 chargers)

almost bought the power cover and docking (id be hell pissed there)
    05-21-2014 07:19 AM
    Entitlement is lame.
    1jaxstate1, Danjp and fifthGear like this.
    05-21-2014 07:49 AM
    Your Surface Pro 2 is still a great device! No reason to trade it in. Something better will always come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    05-21-2014 08:55 AM
    i never said it was bad, i love my device

the timing of the purchase is what im saying that sucked
    05-21-2014 09:46 AM
    i never said it was bad, i love my device

the timing of the purchase is what im saying that sucked
    ok, you should've done what I've done! Its going to be outdated anyway, go let's go all the way and get a notebook thats already four years out of date! and think of the money saved!

phone? get the phone that's 2 years out of date too!
    05-21-2014 01:10 PM
    Kind of a smack in the face definitely... now was the time they needed to release the Surface mini rather than go after the people already happy with their Surface Pro 2's (if I recall, the better selling of the Surface 2 line) to try and get more milk from a recently tapped cow.
    kicking loyal/trusting customers in the teeth... It's the Microsoft way.

I highly doubt that they'll produce a Surface mini. Seriously, who would buy an 8" Windows RT Surface for $350 or 8" Windows x86 Surface for $399?

I suspect that the timing of the SP3 announcement and lack of any RT-based news is connected to Apple's WWDC in June.
    05-21-2014 01:40 PM
    Well, current Surface Pro 2's don't work any less great do they?

Nobody's forcing anyone to buy the Pro 3. I think.
    Editguy1900, BobLobIaw and rdubmu like this.
    05-21-2014 10:12 PM
    Well, current Surface Pro 2's don't work any less great do they?

Nobody's forcing anyone to buy the Pro 3. I think.
    Hey, if customers of SP2's feel cheated Microsoft should be concerned. If you're not, that does nothing to address the concerns of those who bought SP2's who feel cheated. It's not unreasonable for people who purchased and SP2 4 months ago (when they actually were available in significant quantities) to feel a bit short-changed by the announcement of the SP3. Many customers of the iPad3 were rightfully upset at the release of the iPad4 4 months later. I don't see why Microsoft customers should be more accommodating to Microsoft.

Do you have a Surface Pro 2? If so, when did you buy it?
    05-21-2014 11:59 PM
    Hey, if customers of SP2's feel cheated Microsoft should be concerned. If you're not, that does nothing to address the concerns of those who bought SP2's who feel cheated. It's not unreasonable for people who purchased and SP2 4 months ago (when they actually were available in significant quantities) to feel a bit short-changed by the announcement of the SP3. Many customers of the iPad3 were rightfully upset at the release of the iPad4 4 months later. I don't see why Microsoft customers should be more accommodating to Microsoft.

Do you have a Surface Pro 2? If so, when did you buy it?
    How would companies ever win that battle? Let's say this had come out eighteen months after the release of the SP2. What if you happened to put off purchasing a SP2 until one month before the release of the SP3? You'd still fee "cheated" (even though you have no right to, because you got what you paid for). We all know that there will always be something newer and better coming. If you're going to jump in at all, you have to jump in someplace.
    05-22-2014 03:06 PM
    How would companies ever win that battle? Let's say this had come out eighteen months after the release of the SP2. What if you happened to put off purchasing a SP2 until one month before the release of the SP3? You'd still fee "cheated" (even though you have no right to, because you got what you paid for). We all know that there will always be something newer and better coming. If you're going to jump in at all, you have to jump in someplace.
    Companies win that battle by:
    (A) having a predictable release cycle
    (B) incremental updates

Those are the two mechanisms that a company can use to "manage customer expectations". This is something that Apple does well. The one time that I can remember when they didn't, was when they released the iPad 4 four months after the iPad 3. They received a lot of flack... even amongst die-hard Apple fans.

You and others are welcome to have a "too bad, so sad, sucks to be you" dismissive attitude, but that is not the way to develop customer loyalty. And then when the market rejects Microsoft's offerings you can then dismiss THAT as "stupid biased press".
    05-22-2014 03:25 PM
    I have a SP2, have had it for about 5 months. I don't feel cheated or that MS owes me some type of trade in program. I actually prefer my SP2 with wacom. The new slimmer design and kickstand is cool, but my SP2 still does exactly what I bought it to do.
    (B) incremental updates

Those are the two mechanisms that a company can use to "manage customer expectations". This is something that Apple does well. The one time that I can remember when they didn't, was when they released the iPad 4 four months after the iPad 3. They received a lot of flack... even amongst die-hard Apple fans.

You and others are welcome to have a "too bad, so sad, sucks to be you" dismissive attitude, but that is not the way to develop customer loyalty. And then when the market rejects Microsoft's offerings you can then dismiss THAT as "stupid biased press".
    05-22-2014 03:39 PM
    I can see a trade in program for very recent SP2 buyers... that makes sense. However, when I buy a piece of tech, I understand its going to be "outdated" within 5-6 months.
    05-22-2014 04:22 PM
    I'll get a SP3 but not until I can get a dock for it. The dock has really made my Surfaces work at their optimum when combined with a large touch screen monitor.
    05-22-2014 04:23 PM
    I can see a trade in program for very recent SP2 buyers... that makes sense. However, when I buy a piece of tech, I understand its going to be "outdated" within 5-6 months.
    And the best part is that the SP2 isn't outdated just because they are rolling out the SP3. I don't even consider my original SP to be outdated because it's such a solid device in its own right.
    05-22-2014 11:53 PM
    (B) incremental updates

Actually, I think it could be argued that this is a new product, because of the increase in size. I think there would be some people who won't be interested in this because they think it's too large. I didn't say "too bad, so sad, ...", you're putting words in my mouth.
    I just don't think a company owes me anything except a product that works as sold. And, truly, no company has the loyalty that Apple has (for a variety of reasons). They are unique in that respect. And, personally (although currently I'm into Windows Phones and Surface tablets), I will never feel loyalty to a corporation. I'm loyal to me and that means always keeping my options open when any company develops a product that meets my needs. Anything else seems like a foolish use of my finances.
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-23-2014 12:33 AM
    Actually, I think it could be argued that this is a new product, because of the increase in size. I think there would be some people who won't be interested in this because they think it's too large.
    I kind of agree. I was theorycrafting to myself that when broadwell launches, instead of a refresh for this "SP3", we may see a refresh of the original sized model (a true SP3 so to speak).
    05-23-2014 10:09 AM
    Actually, I think it could be argued that this is a new product, because of the increase in size. I think there would be some people who won't be interested in this because they think it's too large. I didn't say "too bad, so sad, ...", you're putting words in my mouth.
    In reviewing your post and what others said, I incorrectly and unfairly attributed that attitude to your post. I apologize. You are correct, you did not express that attitude....others did, but you did not.

I just don't think a company owes me anything except a product that works as sold. And, truly, no company has the loyalty that Apple has (for a variety of reasons). They are unique in that respect. And, personally (although currently I'm into Windows Phones and Surface tablets), I will never feel loyalty to a corporation. I'm loyal to me and that means always keeping my options open when any company develops a product that meets my needs. Anything else seems like a foolish use of my finances.
    I agree. It is possible for a company to develop customer loyalty that is NOT based on emotional tribalism. When a company provides a product that meets my needs, protects my investment (by maintaining the product's viability, sustainability, and value) then I give them the first shot when I'm looking to upgrade.
    05-23-2014 10:30 AM
    This is happening with all tablets and mobile devices. It's not just a Microsoft thing. It's a rapidly developing market so this is bound to happen.

Apple has done this with most of the iPad releases being less than a year after the previous release and even discontinuing some models within several months of announcing them. My mom bought a Kindle Fire (which she had constant problems with) and she was pissed when the Kindle Fire HDX was released several months after. Mostly she was pissed because the issues were fixed in the HDX and she was stuck with her problematic Fire. Android tablets come and go so fast I can't even keep track of them.

People had the same issues with PCs and laptops up until just the last 5 years or so. This is just how it is with emerging technology. As long as your current device still works and is supported there is no reason to get upset about it other than gear lust.
    05-23-2014 11:25 AM
    This is happening with all tablets and mobile devices. It's not just a Microsoft thing. It's a rapidly developing market so this is bound to happen.

Apple has done this with most of the iPad releases being less than a year after the previous release and even discontinuing some models within several months of announcing them.
    In the most technical of senses, you are correct. But realistically, you are not correct.

1st generation: April 3, 2010
    2nd generation:March 11, 2011 (3 weeks shy of a year after 1st gen)
    3rd generation:: March 16, 2012 (1 year after 2nd gen)
    4th generation: November 2, 2012 (8 months, Apple caught a lot of grief for this)
    Air: November 1, 2013 (1 year after 4th gen)

Only the 4th gen came out less than a year (3 weeks between 1st/2nd is not significant)

My mom bought a Kindle Fire (which she had constant problems with) and she was pissed when the Kindle Fire HDX was released several months after. Mostly she was pissed because the issues were fixed in the HDX and she was stuck with her problematic Fire. Android tablets come and go so fast I can't even keep track of them.

People had the same issues with PCs and laptops up until just the last 5 years or so. This is just how it is with emerging technology. As long as your current device still works and is supported there is no reason to get upset about it other than gear lust.
    There is a difference between when a person purchases a device shortly before the next generation is announced and the announce dates between generations. What I've been talking about is the company's timing of announcing generations.

Kindle Fire - 1st generation: November 15, 2011
    Kindle Fire HD - 1st generation: September 14, 2012 (10 months after KF)
    Kindle Fire HDX - 1st generation: September 25, 2013 (1 year after KF HD 1st gen)
    Kindle Fire HD - 2nd generation: October 2, 2013 (13 months after 1st gen)

Surface Pro 2 : October 22, 2013 (this doesn't factor in the low inventory available in the 2 months or so afterwards)
    Surface Pro 3: May 20th, 2014 (7 months after 2nd gen)

Both Apple and Amazon have a pretty steady release cycle. The exception was Apple releasing the iPad4 8 months after they released the iPad3... and they caught a lot of flack over it... including threats of a class-action lawsuit. Given that many here believe that the press and customers are overly friendly to Apple, that criticism is quite remarkable.

So here is Microsoft announcing the SP3 7 months after SP2 and "all is good, that's the way technology goes". mmm, ok.

I'm not saying that I am upset. I have a Surface 2 and no plans to get an SP3 (until the app gap is closed). What I AM saying is that if people are upset at the short time between generations, it is understandable because contrary to what you said, it is NOT the norm.
    Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 05-23-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-23-2014 11:52 AM
    MS has a real problem with marketing because we would not be having this conversation if MS had branded the Surface Pro 3 as Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 "synonym for bigger". We would instead be praising them for creating a Macbook Air killer even if they never made another Surface Pro 2. Instead a lot of people are upset because they see this as meant to replace their Surface Pro 2 (which it is since you have to go out of your way to find it on the MS store), feel threatened and betrayed by it even though 80% of the Surface Pro 3 is the same as the Surface Pro 2.

I mean didn't they have a secret refresh to the Surface Pro 2 in January or February where they changed the CPU in it and only a very few people complained.

If they had labeled it the Surface Pro 2 "big" a year from now they could have refreshed it, called it Surface Pro 3 (eliminating the Pro 2 form factor), no one would have really complained.
    Cleavitt76 likes this.
    05-23-2014 01:25 PM
47 12