Surface Pro 3 vs. MacBook Pro

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Ok guys (and gals) I'm trying to vet out whether the SP3 is worth the expense for me at this point.
My current configuration is that I have a 2012 (Ivy Bridge) Retina MacBook Pro 256GB SSD/16GB of ram (though I probably only need half that), which is hooked up to a 20 display port 20" monitor.

As I look for which product best suits my needs, what advantages come to mind with the SP3?

So far here's my thinking process, I see that the win8 is a plus, as I prefer Office for windows over OSX. It could probably replace my iPad but to be honest, I don't see that happening too much because I have a mini and that's a great size for me. 9 hour battery is nice, though I rarely am on the battery beyond 4 hours.

Any thought on the performance of the current Haswell chipset used in the SP3 vs. IvyBridge (with a dGPU).

I don't play games, mostly office, work web and light photography (mostly a light hobby at this point).

Thanks in advance.

MrPhilicorda

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
For the work you do (mostly office, work web and light photography ) you already have waaaay more computing power than you need. And since you already have an iPad that you won't get rid of the touch screen of the Surface Pro 3 wouldn't really be a big benefit.

A $200 pc laptop would be enough for you.

I think you only *just want it*, so my advice would be: buy it! :) No need to fabricate "rational reasons". :)

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I agree, there is a want and not a need :D That has never stopped me before.

I do use Aperture and I'm a light PS user, but I haven't upgraded PS since CS5 and won't now since I use it so little and I cannot justify the subscription model. On the other hand, the office 365 subscription is paying dividends for me and was worth the price :)

MrPhilicorda

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree, there is a want and not a need :D That has never stopped me before.

I do use Aperture and I'm a light PS user, but I haven't upgraded PS since CS5 and won't now since I use it so little and I cannot justify the subscription model. On the other hand, the office 365 subscription is paying dividends for me and was worth the price :)

Seriously though, I you prefer Windows over OSX I think the Surface Pro 3 has everything the Mac has and more. It's a damn sexy device too, and who knows, maybe you would ditch the iPad after a while. I was really impressed by the thinness and low weight of the Pro 3.

MrPhilicorda

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
BTW: The touch optimized Photoshop (full desktop version) that was demoed on the SP3 event looked like a dream. You won't see that happening on OSX anytime soon, not until they jump on the touch bandwagon.

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I would never put windows in the same category as OSX so that alone completely tosses the apple product out the window. but hardware wise, I don't see why even bring the pro because that is a more serious heavy laptop.

PuterPro

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi All!
Kinda late to the party :grin:
Just wanted to add my two cents. Unless someone is totally locked into the Apple infrastructure, the Surface Pro 3 is easily the way to go.
Re: the keyboard. I have an SP3 i5/8GB//256GB. I HATED the idea of shelling out $130 for the keyboard :eck:, AND it made it too much of a "laptop" and not enough "tablet" for me.
I found an Aluminum Bluetooth keyboard that I can either sit on the table if there's room, or put on my lap since it's WIRELESS. I got it on Amazon for the wallet busting price of $18 !! It's light, has a lithium battery that I haven't run down yet, charges from USB (so the tablet could charge it in a pinch) and even has an On/Off switch as well as automatic sleep after 10 mins. Fits great in my sleeve and adds a negligible weight. This may not be the answer for everyone, but it rocks in my usage patterns and is much better than MS's expensive Type Cover.
Hope that helps someone out there!
PuterPro

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
the keyboard on the Surface Pro 3 is really great.

You do know that the keyboard can flip backwards and you can also put it on backwards so that the keys are no exposed on the back.

Also for the OP, I know this is an old thread. If anything, I would just put Windows on your MAC and call it a day :)

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
SP3 is lighter than MacBook Air, and much much lighter than MacBook Pro. To be honest, carrying a Macbook Pro is very muscle-demanding even for a man. Well, without touchscreen, I'm neutral to Windows and MacOS. If you have ever worked with a touch screen Win8 tablet, you wouldn't go back to MacOS. And the pen, note taking is a very good experience offered by Surface Pro. Macbook? Better prepare pen & paper! If you consider battery, well, MacbookPro wins... but don't your think SP3 is quite enough? I wouldn't use my SP3 for over ten hours outdoor. Only salesmen would do that. Just make sure my SP3 is fully charged everytime I go outdoor. That's very safe.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I have (but don't use any longer) a MacAir (not pro but Apple product so wanted to compare), an iPad Air, a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for my phone, and a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition tablet. I am responsible for Sales Enablement for my company, and part of the job is to ensure field sales (and I am that as well) has the right tools for the job.

My boss, who is the CEO, has the 2013 MacPro Retina and we were sitting side by side working. He remarked that he felt he could do away with his Pro given what he saw. Fact is, for office work, Office on iOS sucks. Period. I don't like the stripped down version of it at all.

Also, from a battery perspective, the Retina display sucks battery down so I'm not sure who thought it was better than the SP3. It's really not.

I'd recommend this device over any Apple product, and that includes the iPad Air. To me, tablet mode on this is fine. Yes, it's heavier and larger, but it's not THAT heavy, and I find myself using it in the AM to read the WSJ, websites, checking emails, etc, before I get into the heavier usage.

I'm not a gamer so cannot help you there. But I do feel this machine is more than capable and does in fact replace my MacBook Air easily.

I will tell you that battery life is NOT 9 hours. Sorry, but that's ideal time, and in the real world, you're probably closer to 6 hours maybe 5 if you have it outdoors and full brightness. (Currently sitting outside at full brightness..I'm at 31% left and been outside now for almost 4 hours).

HIGHLY recommend SP3 to anyone at this point.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am getting at least 7 hours maybe more. I don't use it outside and I don't run it until it dies. It has great battery life and I wouldn't be surprised if it does go 9 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I replaced my Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 15 (i7 with Dedicated Graphics) without an issue. Without a doubt the two graphic cards in the 2012 MacBook Pros really help in gaming but otherwise I see no difference in performance. I travel quite a bit and to be honest the MCP was just to much to tote around the globe. The SP3 offers identical enterpriser performance and better overall solutions for CAC enabled logins and secure websites that I need access to. I miss the larger screen but the SP3 has been a pleasure to use while traveling, I've experienced none of the issues or bugs found in these forums, hopefully won't.

I plan on getting the dock and a dual monitor setup to use here at home as a full desktop replacement. I went with the i5/256/8GB for future proofing (If there is such a thing in computing) and I'm very happy with the choice. The i7 would have given a little more power but the price just wasn't within my reach. I would suggest buying a SP3 and taking advantage of either BB/Staples/ or MS return period to see if it fits all of your needs. If it doesn't, return the SP3 and you're still set with your MCP.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
To me SP3 is the perfect solution. Tablet like with a laptop functionality. In my industry, 3rd party financial software are only made for Windows machines.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on BlackBerry Z30

MBSMD

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I've replaced my MacBook Air and my iPad Air with a Surface Pro 3. I'm quite happy. There's a few iOS iPad apps that I miss (Nest control app, FiOS control app, a few others) but I can pull out my phone if necessary for those couple of things. Nest I can do with a web browser but controlling my FiOS DVR -- or watching a channel right on the iPad or Android devices -- isn't easily replicated on the Surface at this time.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
SP3 is lighter than MacBook Air, and much much lighter than MacBook Pro. To be honest, carrying a Macbook Pro is very muscle-demanding even for a man.

The 13" rMBP barely weighs more than the 13" MacBook Air - let's not be overly dramatic here.

I need to use W8 for work, but I just don't like it. Mac OS X is clean, streamlined and fast whereas W8 is a mess. Apps on W8 are clunky and not as fluid as their OS X counterparts (Firefox, for example, has a terrible scrolling experience on W8, Adobe reader is extremely slow and doesn't scale on high-res W8 devices etc.) - with one big exception (and that's why I have the Surface Pro 3 and a Dell XPS 15 touch next to my rMBP): MS Office is absolutely terrible on the Mac. Once they release a more usable version of it, I'll probably sell all W8 devices in my household but right now I need them to blend in with my co-workers.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
That is why you don't use Fire Fox, it is the worst browser out their. Internet explorer is much better than any browser now days, including Safari.

As for Apps, there are many more apps for Windows so by saying the ones available for both platforms is really limiting yourself. Windows 8 is clean, runs fast and less clunkier and much better for productivity than MAC OS, being able to snap windows and apps into place really helps out on productivity. With MAC you have to resize each app or have them in full screen mode and only show one app at a time. Sucks for college and professional work. The only app that is really worth it on a MAC is iPhoto and some first party apps like calendar, address book, besides that Windows 8 is better

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I fail to see the logic in blaming Windows 8 for the failure of third party apps written for it. Exactly how is it Windows 8's fault that Firefox sucks? Or Adobe Reader sucks? Perhaps use alternatives if you don't like them? Drawboard PDF, the native Reader, and Foxit Reader are wonderful PDF readers. I prefer IE over Firefox and other swear by Chrome.

As for the OP? Looking at the machine you have and what you do with it.........it is already way overkill for what you do. Thus, this isn't about justifying the cost via use; it is about justifying your desire for it and I see no reason you need to justify that. If you have the cash for it and want it - get it. It is a wonderful device that has personally replaced my work laptop, work desktop, and personal tablet. Since I still game it is unable to replace my hope laptop. Simply put, you will not be disappointed with it as it isn't some knock off bargain device; it is a top of the line premium device.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
That is why you don't use Fire Fox, it is the worst browser out their. Internet explorer is much better than any browser now days, including Safari.

As for Apps, there are many more apps for Windows so by saying the ones available for both platforms is really limiting yourself. Windows 8 is clean, runs fast and less clunkier and much better for productivity than MAC OS, being able to snap windows and apps into place really helps out on productivity. With MAC you have to resize each app or have them in full screen mode and only show one app at a time. Sucks for college and professional work. The only app that is really worth it on a MAC is iPhoto and some first party apps like calendar, address book, besides that Windows 8 is better

Firefox and Adobe Reader are industrial standards - almost every person on the planet uses these. If they suck on a mainstream platform, there's something wrong. The problem isn't the Surface, the problem is that Microsoft apparently isn't capable of getting even the largest software developers to fully support the platform (and yes, that includes scaling as all high-end devices now have retina-type screens on W8). And that's where the Surface and all other W8 devices fall short. The OP wanted to know whether he should buy a Surface Pro 3 over the Macbook Pro he's used to working with. My answer is simple: no. If you're used to things working like a charm on OS X, W8 simply isn't for you. W8 is still a construction site years after it's been introduced. As I said - I use (or have to use) both platforms and simply don't see the appeal of Windows 8. The Surface Pro 3 itself is a fine device but that's pointless without decent software.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I fail to see the logic in blaming Windows 8 for the failure of third party apps written for it. Exactly how is it Windows 8's fault that Firefox sucks? Or Adobe Reader sucks? Perhaps use alternatives if you don't like them? Drawboard PDF, the native Reader, and Foxit Reader are wonderful PDF readers. I prefer IE over Firefox and other swear by Chrome.

Chrome - good example: doesn't scale and is completely unusable on the Surface unless you start tinkering with the registry.
It's not Windows 8's fault that Firefox sucks, it's Microsoft's fault. Somehow they don't seem to have the same leverage on the industry Apple has. On Mac OS, pretty much every piece of software released in the last 2 years has been retina-enabled and looks fantastic. On W8, half of the apps look like complete crap or don't work at all. If these were minor devs that don't have the resources, I'd understand. But we're talking about the biggest tech companies in the world not supporting the platform. So again: yes, the Surface Pro 3 has great hardware and is very innovative, but W8 kills it as a viable alternative for people who consider switching from OS X.

Drawboard PDF - just tried to look it up -> www.drawboard.com -> "can't find the server" + good look filling in Adobe Acrobat online surveys with that one. The native reader (which kicks you over to "Metro" every time you open a PDF?). There are some apps that businesses can't go without - and all Adobe apps go in that category. Unless Adobe support is there, the platform is useless for everyone except for home users.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon