The lack of real lapability

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
someone (maybe third party, suspect msft's too stubborn to do it) just needs to build a "base"-style keyboard like the Helix where you can insert the SP and have the connectors work. then all the lapability-folks will be satisfied...until they realize that a base-style keyboard adds another pound.

acegamer

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I use my SP2 at work everyday and never have to use it on my lap (I'm an architect). I do use it on my lap when at home relaxing and have no problem at all with it. The kickstand rests comfortably at the front edge of my knees and the keyboard is in the perfect position. That is how I"m using it right now. I think each persons particular body type has an affect on well it works. For me the benefit of being able to quickly switch between tablet and laptop is far greater than any shortcomings that it may have vs a pure laptop for "lapability".

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I use my SP2 at work everyday and never have to use it on my lap (I'm an architect). I do use it on my lap when at home relaxing and have no problem at all with it. The kickstand rests comfortably at the front edge of my knees and the keyboard is in the perfect position. That is how I"m using it right now. I think each persons particular body type has an affect on well it works. For me the benefit of being able to quickly switch between tablet and laptop is far greater than any shortcomings that it may have vs a pure laptop for "lapability".

Indeed. Never had any issues with my SP2, aside from when I'm trying to prop in on my knees in bed (I.E: typing up an essay for school before I hit the hay).

However, with the SP3's new kickstand, that shouldn't be an issue anymore. Basically, the ability to seamlessly transition between tablet and laptop ha only been further improved thanks to the 3 being thinner, lighter, a much improved aspect ratio, and the fantastic new kickstand.

While the SP3 isn't for everyone, I see it's strengths in serving journalists, artists, students, and any business profession that requires having access to the full power of Windows, but also traveling lightly.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi, my name is Daniel Rubino. You may have heard of me as I think I'm the only here with a Surface Pro 3, yeah?

I use the SP3 in my lap all the time. On the couch, on the train, where ever I need to. Actually, when on the couch a lost of the time I just pull the KB off and use it as a tablet (or fold it around). If I need to write something, bam, full keyboard right there. The kickstand is really good and makes touchscreen gaming on a desk or table so much more fun (putting the kickstand down to 150%).

Personal opinion here: people are really going out of there way to say this won't work in the lap. People who haven't even touched a Surface Pro 3, let alone use it daily ("causing pain in the legs"? Really?).

Obviously the SP3 is not 100% the same in the lap as a traditional laptop. That is obvious by the sheer design and it's literally the most uninteresting observations I have read in these forums lately. Having said that, the SP3 very much works in the lap and so far I really like the keyboard.

Ultimately, the SP3 is its own category and that's a good thing. People who harp on the "it's not as good as a MBP" forget the whole it has a touchscreen, pen and becomes and awesome tablet part. That's kind of a big deal. SP3 is meant to replace not just ONE device but TWO and if you don't look at it from that point, than SP3 doesn't make much sense.

There was that figure at the beginning of the presentation: 96% of iPad owners still have a laptop. This is aimed at people who use a tablet a lot, and use a laptop a lot, who want the best of both. Is it for everyone? Nope. But when I show average, non-techy people the device, almost all are intrigued by it (pun alert). Even the lady who cut my hair last night knew about it. She didn't know the name, but she knew it was from Microsoft, and she was interested.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi, my name is Daniel Rubino. You may have heard of me as I think I'm the only here with a Surface Pro 3, yeah?

I use the SP3 in my lap all the time. On the couch, on the train, where ever I need to. Actually, when on the couch a lost of the time I just pull the KB off and use it as a tablet (or fold it around). If I need to write something, bam, full keyboard right there. The kickstand is really good and makes touchscreen gaming on a desk or table so much more fun (putting the kickstand down to 150%).

Personal opinion here: people are really going out of there way to say this won't work in the lap. People who haven't even touched a Surface Pro 3, let alone use it daily ("causing pain in the legs"? Really?).

Obviously the SP3 is not 100% the same in the lap as a traditional laptop. That is obvious by the sheer design and it's literally the most uninteresting observations I have read in these forums lately. Having said that, the SP3 very much works in the lap and so far I really like the keyboard.

Ultimately, the SP3 is its own category and that's a good thing. People who harp on the "it's not as good as a MBP" forget the whole it has a touchscreen, pen and becomes and awesome tablet part. That's kind of a big deal. SP3 is meant to replace not just ONE device but TWO and if you don't look at it from that point, than SP3 doesn't make much sense.

There was that figure at the beginning of the presentation: 96% of iPad owners still have a laptop. This is aimed at people who use a tablet a lot, and use a laptop a lot, who want the best of both. Is it for everyone? Nope. But when I show average, non-techy people the device, almost all are intrigued by it (pun alert). Even the lady who cut my hair last night knew about it. She didn't know the name, but she knew it was from Microsoft, and she was interested.

I agree with everything he said. Now put a damn type cover in the package and sell it like hot cakes.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I've been using the Surface on my lap as my primary device at home ever since the first Surface was released.

I can confidently say that none of your points are true. The kickstand does not "dig in" (it rests upon), it's not hard to open the kickstand, and it's not unbalanced for work on a lap (two stage kickstand on the Surface 2 made it even better, and the multi-position of the Surface Pro 3 entirely blows that argument out of the water).

Sorry, but no.
I agree with you that those points raise don't appear to be universally valid (or for the majority).

One thing that DOES impede on using the Surface on the lap is the need to have more lap area to hold the keyboard cover and kick stand. With a notebook, the screen can extend beyond the knee, but with the Surface it can't (because the kickstand needs to rest on the lap or edge of the knee). That causes the keyboard to be closer in than is comfortable for typing.

For those with long lanky legs, that's not a problem. For those who are vertically challenged, it creates another challenge.

Having said that, I think that the whole issue is a red herring... an attempt to give prominence to a non-issue.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a surface 2, tried all your poses, the surface kept falling and wobbling and I have to keep balancing, specially the one you hold it on your knee, don't do the impossible to prove a point, not to mention how the kick stand was staging my leg. it doesn't work....

dude, you need me to record doing real work to get the point? why don't you post a video show you failing? I've gone above and beyond the call of duty to show it works. I see a lot of people making suppositions about it not working.

yunchikan

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
First of all, I'm a girl. :angel:

I'm going to go home tonight and try resting my Surface RT on my lap while side-legging.
Even though my surface is broken (broke it when I dissembled it lol), I just want to say, it is difficult to sit side-legged for a long period of time. Or maybe it could be just me.
I have a 15" Lenovo laptop, and it is heavyish on my lap, if I put it on my lap while side-legging, I would not be able to keep the same position for a long period of time. I have not seen any of my friends using their laptops side-legged, because it is just not too comfortable.. for most of us I would guess.
So I expect, if one is to use a laptop side-legged, most will not be using it for long. Thus, not going to be doing much serious work on the device.

I find myself normally just using it as a tablet (without the keyboard) if I use it on my lap, the on screen keyboard isn't that bad (I only have the first gen Touch Cover). It is also because I am tiny, just like WillysJeepMan said above. The Surface + keyboard extending out is actually too long for me to place fully on my laps. The kickstand normally goes beyond my knees. :grincry: But if I lean back a little bit, it fits perfectly fine on my lap.

If the Surface RT (with only one angle) works more than enough on my lap, I'm pretty sure Surface Pro 3 works much MUCH better with the new kickstand and keyboard.
I am so jealous of people using the SP3, but I don't need it.. I'm waiting for a Surface 3 / Surface Mini! I want a really portable device but I do crave for that pen input on the SP3 ;3;

Last edited:

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
In all honesty, all the attention lathered onto "lapability" seems amusingly overblown to me. I cannot even remember the last time I used my laptop on my lap, nor can I remember the last time I saw someone doing it delibrately. I think it would probably be on a bus, back before I had a tablet.

I guess it's Microsoft's fault for shining so much light on it, as if fervently typing journalists out in the field represent the majority of users.

Already, a considerable chunk of the SP3's target audience ? artists and designers ? will not be using it on their laps, at least not in the style of a laptop. Even regular non-design students would be hard pressed to find situations where there is not a desk in sight.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

acegamer

May 24, 2014
Visit site
In all honesty, all the attention lathered onto "lapability" seems amusingly overblown to me. I cannot even remember the last time I used my laptop on my lap, nor can I remember the last time I saw someone doing it delibrately. I think it would probably be on a bus, back before I had a tablet.

I guess it's Microsoft's fault for shining so much light on it, as if fervently typing journalists out in the field represent the majority of users....

I agree 1000%

yunchikan

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I just tried resting my Surface RT on my lap while side-legging. I got it to stay quite steady with the Type Cover. I'm surprised even the Surface RT is good in that position. lol

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site

I guess it's Microsoft's fault for shining so much light on it, as if fervently typing journalists out in the field represent the majority of users.

Already, a considerable chunk of the SP3's target audience ? artists and designers ? will not be using it on their laps, at least not in the style of a laptop. Even regular non-design students would be hard pressed to find situations where there is not a desk in sight.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

Seriously? You've never worked in a chair at home while watching tv? Or in bed...while watching tv? Or in a group meeting where there are only chairs and no tables?

ExTrAbUtTa

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
The main issue (as brought out by Daniel and others) is reviewers, journalists, the techy public are actively LOOKING for reasons to say that the SP3 will not work in your lap. Or using pretty stretched reasons or ways to use a SP3 in their lap (as if they use a laptop the same way). This device is clearly in a new category, one that needs to be viewed in that light and not in combination with the best laptop and then the best tablet.

The reason being is that there will ALWAYS be some type of compromise with a device of this nature. I used this example before (in a forum post), but the automotive industry is packed with quote on quote, compromises. Car manufacturers are building sport-oriented SUVs, wagons, Hybrid vehicles, Diesels, etc etc. All of these choices are excellent in their respective genre's, but start adding in or comparing them to vehicle types that have a singular task and they lack in that department. I mention the Auto Industry because they have a better grasp on reviewing and giving opinions on different types of products and judging them squarely on the market they are after and their category. For instance, drive an Ariel Atom (an exhilarating experience) and you'll quickly love the speed and performance it offers. However, start comparing it to other sports cars and not its niche, open-air concept, sports category and you'll quickly dismiss it as a failure. For example, you'll quickly notice the lack of a windshield. Cup holders? Negative. ABS? That's funny. Cruise Control? Never. Navigation? In your dreams. Heated Seats? Lol. Compare that vehicle to another good performing sports coupe, say a BMW M3 or AMG C63 and you'll notice all creature comforts available. Should I then grant the Ariel Atom a bad score because other vehicles exist that serve better to entertain or comfort the passengers and I? The point of such a vehicle is for the experience, to combine to raw sensation of something closer to a super/sports bike, in something you drive. Based on that idea, you'll read glowing praise about the vehicle. Also, it'll end up costing much more than comparable or other sports cars.

The SP3 is solely in a new category. Something that needs to be judged on those merits. Saying, "..its good, but my iPad Air is lighter as a tablet.." makes it look like you have really no reason to be reviewing the product. Because going in, even on the initial revealing you KNEW it was going to be heavier than any other tablet. I mean seriously, it's 12 inches big, weighs 1.76 grams, the stats alone will show that your about to pick about a pound more in weight when compared to the most popular of tablets. Same holds true for the direct comparison to an Ultrabook. By design everyone knows that a laptop will always offer a better "on lap" experience. That is if you're strictly using in on you lap in the conventional sense, not laying on your back with your legs bent (then it wouldn't be better).

So, you know all of this going in, you see the SP3, you can tell its designed with the idea of replacing TWO devices in one shot. It'll bridge the gap and come as close as anyone has ever gotten to having one singular device. With that it'll have its own compromises. Carrying a better, more "lapable" laptop and a lighter tablet, means you now are carrying a lot more weight, have to charge two devices and need room for them.

In the end, its all about choices and I am appreciative that MS (amongst many naysayers) is continuing down this path with the Surface. I hope they continue and do not fold to creating yet another laptop/ultrabook. If the CEO is honest on creating new categories, we are in for some exciting times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077