The lack of real lapability

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Apple wins what? What is the contest? Holding a device that runs an OS? Who is Apple the sell only devices that runs their own small market shared OS. Lenovo, Asus, Hp, Dell what are they fruits :D

Last edited:

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

So a person like Mary Jo Foley who uses a laptop every day on her lap(a tech blogger) doesn't know what she's talking about when it comes to lapability.... No wonder MS is in a reality-distortion field. Panos was just ridiculous during that presentation. It's like he was talking about some mythical customers that might one day exist.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So a person like Mary Jo Foley who uses a laptop every day on her lap(a tech blogger) doesn't know what she's talking about when it comes to lapability.... No wonder MS is in a reality-distortion field. Panos was just ridiculous during that presentation. It's like he was talking about some mythical customers that might one day exist.

Yup.

Wall iPhone

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Check out this stock photo of people using laptops on their laps(esp the woman):

http://www.wellbeing.com.au/uploads/news/Laptops.jpg

You can't do that with any Surface and that's why Apple wins.

Why don't you use it as a tablet in that position, the iPad doesn't have lapability? Do you really expect the two people in the picture to be working or being productive at all?
And I don't understand your Apple wins? There are still Windows laptops on the market, that sell way better then Apple laptops...

Last edited by a moderator:

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You want a laptop...buy a clamshell style laptop with a hard keyboard.
problem solved....

that means the surface is not for you.

Oh but you WANTED it to be as portable as a tablet?
Then get one of those laptops that have a detachable screen. Sure its a bit bulky and chunky and may only have basic pressure sensitivity of the touchscreen, but then you can re-dock it and it'll be a real laptop with a real hard keyboard.
problem solved? I think so.

BTW apple's MacBook is...a laptop, not a tablet.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]The OP has a legitimate comment in this thread at this point.

There will be no further accusations made of anyone being a troll. Calling someone a troll is a form of trolling and not permitted by the Rules.

Let's keep this thread on topic and discuss the form factor of the Surface Pro 3, not whether or not someone likes Apple products better. [/WARN]

There are all kinds of traditional laptops and convertibles running Windows too. Perhaps, a comparison between Surface Pro 3 and Lenovo Thinkpad Helix might be appropriate too.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Wrong is a big word, but it wouldn't be the first time many people have disagreed with her.

Hey, I'm not an apologist or fan boy so I will admit the previous Surfaces have had issued in this area. That said I've used all my previous devices in the lap at one point or another. The original Surface RT was a ***** to use on your lap. The Surface [Pro] 2 really wasn't too bad due to the dual position kickstand. If the Surface Pro 3 improves the situation even a little (I won't find out til August 31) I'll say the Pro 3 is definitely lapable.

As for Panos, I though this was one of the better presentations lately. He was a little off cue at times, but overall very good.

Lastly, most women I know do not use their laptops side legged unless they're using it for entertainment in which case most all of them will pick up the iPad (yes, they're mostly iPad users too) instead.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd say that the surface is very lappable - having the felt back to the keyboard really helps it to stick to your lap where normal laptops have a tendency to slip around. I dare say that the woman in the photo above would have to spend a fair amount of time repositioning the device.

The downside to the surface is the slight flexibility of the keyboard, meaning that it's slightly less effective when not being supported (excessive boingage). I'm not sure that the difference would be enough to sway anyone's buying decision.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd probably opt for the Lenovo Thinkpad Helix or the HP Spectre 2 if I were getting a convertible, mainly since I wouldn't want a kickstand resting on my legs. Both the Helix and the Spectre 2 have the traditional laptop style form factor when attached to their keyboards. Granted, both are heavier than the Surface Pro 3, but the form factor lends itself better to using on one's lap, rather than on a table or desk.

Yes, I use my laptops on my lap. I'm posting here on the forums using a laptop, while sitting on my futon in pretty much the same position as the guy in the pink shirt in that picture.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
anyone that says the Surface doesn't have "lapability" usually has never tried it...

here's my brother modeling for me (me taking the pics, thanks bro for helping out)... We can do this with either the Surface RT or the Surface Pro 2...

50qi38.jpg

xe0pro.jpg

2e5qzjp.jpg

33lh2rm.jpg

2v9dcon.jpg

As for Mary Jo Foley, I love her to death and listen to her weekly on the podcast. But you should know her computing habits. She still does all her notes with pen and paper. She only types in Notepad and on a desk. She did mention that she had a hard time using the SP3 in the new "laptop" mode. But if she uses it in traditional Surface mode, it's completely doable on the lap. There's no need to be 100% rock solid. You just need it to be completely stable while you work and the Surface is that.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky