Hands On: Surface Pro 3 (my opinion from my usage with the SP3)

ExTrAbUtTa

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
So, does that mean that the other button could be a middle-mouse click?

​Also... do you know if there is pen tilt sensitivity? Can you vary lines based on the angle you're holding the pen?

The middle mouse click I'm not too sure about unfortunately. I do know that the other button on the pen had a function that was similar to a "cut and copy". Could it be configured to allow a middle-click? I would almost think so. The buttons do have settings within the Bluetooth Dives that can be manipulated. I do know for some people that middle-click is crucial.

As for the tilt-sensitivity, I'm not going to say I'm 100% sure on that. With my use it "seems" to have that sensitivity, but remember I'm no artist or a person who is even looking or registering such a level of pen input. My use on the device is strictly from a note taking and quick doodle perspective. I do know that from the previous iterations of the Surface Pen it has a lot better feedback and sensitivity in those areas. That could lead it to have more areas of sensitivity I haven't explored.

ExTrAbUtTa

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I like the review but the only thing I'm not sold on is the keyboard. I have the newer Surface 2 keyboard and it works but I can't get used to the sound it makes when typing. I have a sense the keyboard on this thing won't be any different. If I use the S3 as a laptop replacement, I hope to pair a standard bluetooth keyboard such as the one I pair to my desktop. Which will leave me without a cover but I guess I'll know more when I lay hands on it. Thanks for the review and the pics.

Your referring to that "hollow" like sound the Type Cover makes. Kind of a "tinny" tap? Its not AS pronounced as the previous versions of the Type Cover, but I wouldn't go so far, as to say its gone. Given that fact that they are designing these keyboards to be as thin as possible, the tradeoff might be the added sound because there is less key travel. Definitely, give it a spin though in store, if not, like you mentioned a Bluetooth keyboard can definitely fit the bill.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Normally that extra mouse button is programmable. Hopefully it is. I currently have a Wacom tablet hooked up to my main pc and the 2nd button on that was easily changed to the middle button. It wasn't an option on the sp or sp2, but I would assume with a 2nd button that MS will allow it to be programmed.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the review! I can't wait to get mine!

I do have one question about the keyboard when it is attached as you have it in the 3rd photograph. How is the typing experience? Does the keyboard bounce and does this impair the typing experience?

Thanks in advance.

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I love the type cover on the S2. If I could get an ergonomic, full-sized one for my desktop I'd use that instead of the mile-deep keys on my current keyboard.

1armedGeek

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I definitely want to get one and probably will know soon if I will be able.

I *always* laugh when reviewers compare the Surface Pro devices to the iPad. On one hand, they tout the ways the iPads are more portable than the SP. On the other, they conveniently neglect to mention what the SP can do or has that the iPad can't do or doesn't have.

I would definitely use the the SP3 mostly as a wonderfully light laptop. For my particular situation, having a PC that weighs just a bit more than my iPad 2 is very much a requirement.

I am extremely anxious for it to come out.

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
One more question about the pen (sorry) - can you still use the other end of the pen as an eraser (someone told me they read somewhere it was true but I'd like to confirm from someone that tried it)
Also I read the buttons are eraser and right click so that's why I'm asking.
thank you for answering and thanks for the review

Also one last thing, I have a surface pro and type cover 2, I don't hear anything strange when I type and I actually seem to find it quieter than other laptop's keyboards. I'm glad to see they managed to make the new one even thinner though

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos