Will There Be a non-pro Surface 3?

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Came across an interesting article by Paul Thurrott regarding the Surface team's supposed new direction:

Microsoft's Surface Has a New Mission | Microsoft Surface content from Windows IT Pro

Thurrott seems to think in the future there will be just the Surface Mini and Surface Pro 3 - no option for a Surface 3. I pasted my response here. What do you guys think?

I sort of get what you're saying, but I personally hope they don't abandon a middle of the road option. I'm not sure how the 10.6" Surface competes any more with the full size iPad than a Surface Mini does with the iPad Mini or the Surface Pro 3 does with MS's partners' laptops - they even said the SP3 is the "tablet that can replace your laptop".

What makes me love my Surface 2 is the unique and useful form factor - something Microsoft's partners haven't duplicated - thus I don't really think they're in direct competition. The only thing I'd change is being able to run full Windows, which could easily be accomplished with an Atom processor. I don't want a mini tablet because I couldn't really get laptop-like work done on it. But I also probably don't want to spend upwards of $1000 on a SP3 just to get full Windows and a larger screen. There are other Windows tablets that are functionally what I need, but none offer the unique combination of build quality and form factor that made me get the Surface 2.

I think a lineup like this makes sense:

Surface Mini - Runs Windows RT, starts at $299
Surface 3 - Runs full Windows 8.1, Atom processor, starts at $449
Surface Pro 3 - Runs full Windows 8.1, Core processor, starts at $799

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
What makes me love my Surface 2 is the unique and useful form factor - something Microsoft's partners haven't duplicated - thus I don't really think they're in direct competition. The only thing I'd change is being able to run full Windows, which could easily be accomplished with an Atom processor. I don't want a mini tablet because I couldn't really get laptop-like work done on it. But I also probably don't want to spend upwards of $1000 on a SP3 just to get full Windows and a larger screen. There are other Windows tablets that are functionally what I need, but none offer the unique combination of build quality and form factor that made me get the Surface 2.

I think a lineup like this makes sense:

Surface Mini - Runs Windows RT, starts at $299
Surface 3 - Runs full Windows 8.1, Atom processor, starts at $449
Surface Pro 3 - Runs full Windows 8.1, Core processor, starts at $799
If Microsoft were to produce a Surface Mini:
Surface Mini RT - $349
Surface Mini (x86) - $399 (I'm not saying they'd produce both... if they produce one or the other)
Surface 3 (Atom based) - $549

I don't think that a Surface Mini is coming, but if it is, then I could see an ARM-based, active stylus model.
I don't think that we'll see a Surface 3 (ARM-based).

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Surface Mini RT - $349
Surface Mini (x86) - $399 (I'm not saying they'd produce both... if they produce one or the other)

I don't think that a Surface Mini is coming, but if it is, then I could see an ARM-based, active stylus model.

The Surface Mini is coming. I'm sure it is, as it's been said on the blog many times.

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree that if we see a Surface 3, it probably won't be ARM-based. As much as I loved the potential that a RT held, devices with Atom processors were generally no more expensive or worse-off in battery life than their RT counterparts. I envision RT being combined with Windows Phone and only being sold on devices around 9" or under.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Surface Mini RT - $349

I hope there is a Surface 3, so I can see how that NVIDIA k1 processor runs. 192 NVIDIA CUDA? Cores... A wet dream for ARM!

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I think there's a lot of potential for Microsoft to make inroads with an Atom-powered Surface 3. With the re-designing of RT and its alignment with WP looming, it would make a lot of sense for any future 10-inch device to be running Windows 8.1.

From my experience, Windows 8.1 runs great on Bay Trail (considering the price) and a Surface 3 with a 3:2 display and N-trig tech would help to build on the strengths Microsoft has touted about the SP3 while opening up the price points that the SP3 cannot compete in.

At this point I'm very interested to see how the Nokia devices acquisition will affect future Surface products, now that the Surface team is under Elop.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
See, this is a hard place Microsoft had itself right now. They could a) make the Surface 3 an RT, keep it the same as it has been, but use the upgraded K1 (what I'm hoping for), and then make the Surface Mini the Atom processor, to compete with the Dell Venue Pro 8 and the Lenovo ThinkPad 8. However, you also have choice B) which is making both of them Atom based, which for the 10.1" area, would cut into the Surface Pro 2's sales. Either way, I see the mini ran by an Atom processor, but it's up in the air for the 10.1" area.

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I think from a marketing standpoint, it would be difficult to imagine a 10-inch device on RT alongside an 8-inch device running 8.1. It would be a major headache for Microsoft to try and explain to consumers why the smaller device has vastly more functionality and more PC-like features than the bigger one. People have a hard enough time understanding the limitations of RT as it is.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
The Surface Mini is coming. I'm sure it is, as it's been said on the blog many times.
Right, because blogs are never wrong. Lol. We will see.

​I don't know why people are hot about the NVidia K1. NVidia doesn't have a good track record for quality. I wish MS would kick them to the curb and pick a different vendor.

df608

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
If Microsoft said, they don't want to compete with OEMs then why make an 8" tablet right. Maybe that's why they change course.

I think they should make it in the 10.6" form and the pro in the 12. Personally I wouldn't mind something a little bigger, but you have to think the pro 3 screen is 12 plus another inch or so for the outer edge, that may be the sweet spot. I will have to see it on person.

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft said, they don't want to compete with OEMs then why make an 8" tablet right. Maybe that's why they change course.

I think they should make it in the 10.6" form and the pro in the 12. Personally I wouldn't mind something a little bigger, but you have to think the pro 3 screen is 12 plus another inch or so for the outer edge, that may be the sweet spot. I will have to see it on person.

Right, maybe they'll stick with 12 inches but I would hope they make a cheaper version with an Atom processor.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Right, because blogs are never wrong. Lol. We will see.

​I don't know why people are hot about the NVidia K1. NVidia doesn't have a good track record for quality. I wish MS would kick them to the curb and pick a different vendor.

I meant WPCentral blogs. Usually, the editors don't post articles about stuff unless it is credible. This isn't WMPowerUser. :p

Sent from my Xbox One using Tapatalk

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think there is still a market for a non-pro Surface 3, especially now that they're making the Pro 3 more into a laptop replacement device.

They should keep the form factor of the Surface 2, possibly with a 10.1 inch screen instead of the 10.6 (though not sure I would like having to buy a new keyboard cover)
Get rid of Office RT and put in the app version of Office without need for a 365 account, or at the very least allow for editing but feature lock some items, similar to Office Starter edition
Implement the new kickstand from the SP3
Go with Qualcomm rather than Nvidia so that hopefully they can get better driver support

If they decide to keep RT make a break from the desktop, implement a real modern file manager and control panel replacement, and most people won't have to go back to the desktop, especially with touch Office. Once they get rid of the desktop it will eliminate a lot of the confusion and people can begin to break that link in their mind.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I think there is still a market for a non-pro Surface 3, especially now that they're making the Pro 3 more into a laptop replacement device.

They should keep the form factor of the Surface 2, possibly with a 10.1 inch screen instead of the 10.6 (though not sure I would like having to buy a new keyboard cover)
Get rid of Office RT and put in the app version of Office without need for a 365 account, or at the very least allow for editing but feature lock some items, similar to Office Starter edition
Go with Qualcomm rather than Nvidia so that hopefully they can get better driver support

If they decide to keep RT make a break from the desktop, implement a real modern file manager and control panel replacement, and most people won't have to go back to the desktop, especially with touch Office. Once they get rid of the desktop it will eliminate a lot of the confusion and people can begin to break that link in their mind.
If they do those things for the Surface 3, that will make my decision easier... I'll have ZERO interest in buying one. That's a good thing. I have way too many notebooks, netbooks, and tablets already. :)

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site

If they were going to do all of that, I would think they would simply do that with a new "mini" version in the 7-10" size range. Keep the surface keyboard and kickstand and limit to the app only version like you said. I'm on the fence on whether or not they should keep USB, video out, etc.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If they do those things for the Surface 3, that will make my decision easier... I'll have ZERO interest in buying one. That's a good thing. I have way too many notebooks, netbooks, and tablets already. :)

I prefer the 10.6" screen, but a lot of people seem to have problems with the size at that aspect ratio. 10.1" would probably be more manageable for them. The 10.6" screen is actually perfect for me, and I'm a little sad to see it getting eliminated from the Pro line. If I need a bigger screen that's what the dock is for.

As for Office, it's more about the severing people from thinking it should do Windows 7 things and focusing more on what it can do as a Windows 8 tablet.

Of course these changes would also eliminate me as a Surface customer, but since I should be a Surface Pro customer, it's also probably a good thing. Hopefully they haven't eliminated the 10.6" form factor completely because I think that really is the perfect size for me, but maybe Microsoft knows best and 12" really is the perfect size...

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully they haven't eliminated the 10.6" form factor completely because I think that really is the perfect size for me, but maybe Microsoft knows best and 12" really is the perfect size...

I'm with you and hope they haven't abandoned the 10.6" form factor either.