Surface Pro 3 Cases/Sleeves

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Couple thoughts for those looking at cases/sleeves:

1) Before buying a booklet style case, realize that this will almost double the weight of your SP3 and will limit your ability to enjoy it as a pure tablet in portrait.
2) When looking at sleeves, remember you may also want to transport your charger and a slim mouse. Get a sleeve with a zippered pouch for these as well. May not look as slick but is more functional. One caveat to this. If you store your power brick in the same sleeve as your SP3, do not put it into a stuffed backpack. The pressure on the power brick could shatter your SP3 screen.

Honestly, the BEST solution is a lightweight computer bag with a strap with room for your SP3, powerbrick and mouse that you can carry over your shoulder comfortably WITHOUT putting it into a purse or backpack. You DO NOT want to ever put pressure on your screen. Due to the cutouts for the speakers and mic, the screen can shatter easily.

Last edited:

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Here is a wonderful bag for your SP3. It is stylish and well made, is designed for a 12" laptop with a vertical orientation and has plenty of room for mouse, powercord, stylus, etc. Only $39.99 at OfficeDepot. A steal. It also has a nice shoulder strap which for me is a must.

Kenneth Cole Reaction iBag For 121 Laptops Black by Office Depot

Padded compartment fits most laptops up to 12.1". Also includes a pocket for an iPad or tablet.
Exterior made of 1680D and dobby polyester with PVC trim and a fully-lined interior.
Single-gusset top-zip construction.
Permanent, adjustable, padded shoulder strap offers comfortable carrying.
Grab strap on rear exterior provides easy handling.
Front exterior includes an open-top pocket and 2 zipper pockets with an organizer. Organizer features an open-top mesh pocket, a zipper pocket, a phone pocket and pen holders.

wookiee2cu

Mar 25, 2005
Visit site
Ran across this one in another forum, the nice thing is it actually uses the SP3 kickstand instead of a webbing that limits the angle. I don't have enough posts to post a link so search this on amazon: MoKo Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Case - Ultra Slim Lightweight Shell Stand Cover Case for Microsoft Surface Pro 3 12 Inch Tablet, BLACK

locorojo

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Exact Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Case - avoid avoid avoid. poor design leaves two vulnerable corners of SP3 virtually unprotected. Any slight impact to either of the corners and you will have a cracked screen.

yonghong

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Here is a wonderful bag for your SP3. It is stylish and well made, is designed for a 12" laptop with a vertical orientation and has plenty of room for mouse, powercord, stylus, etc. Only $39.99 at OfficeDepot. A steal. It also has a nice shoulder strap which for me is a must.

Kenneth Cole Reaction iBag For 121 Laptops Black by Office Depot

Padded compartment fits most laptops up to 12.1". Also includes a pocket for an iPad or tablet.
Exterior made of 1680D and dobby polyester with PVC trim and a fully-lined interior.
Single-gusset top-zip construction.
Permanent, adjustable, padded shoulder strap offers comfortable carrying.
Grab strap on rear exterior provides easy handling.
Front exterior includes an open-top pocket and 2 zipper pockets with an organizer. Organizer features an open-top mesh pocket, a zipper pocket, a phone pocket and pen holders.

Be careful ,this one is very heavy.

pcsavvy

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Fry's Electronics is selling the Maroo Executive sleeve and padfolio and Woodland sleeve and padfolio. Fry's is currently selling them for $39.99-49.99 depending which style you get.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Snugg actually sells a sleeve for the Surface Pro 3 (for those of you thinking about getting their MacBook Air/Pro sleeves that have been mentioned so far.) Snugg Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Sleeve Case in Distressed Brown Leather available at TheSnugg.com USA

I have the cyan (electric blue) Snugg for MacBook Air and it works perfectly. I believe the difference between the two is actually nothing. Snugg just offers it as a SP3 sleeve now that is all.

P.S. The electric blue is slightly different in color than the cyan one. I have a cyan Incipio feather case and the cyan type cover, and the electric blue sleeve makes for a nice contrast that doesn't clash.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Went looking for the Incipio ORD case, as I have the similar Incipio case that I used for my Surface RT and Surface 2. I loved it. Unfortunately, "out of stock" and "will ship in three months" weren't phrases I was comfortable with. With that being said, an extremely helpful Microsoft representative at Best Buy (I have to compliment this gentleman, far more helpful than representatives at the actual brick and mortar stores) directed me towards the Belkin and Platinum cases they carry. I was unsold on the Belkin as it did not have the compartment I so desperately long for as storage for my Arc Touch mouse. So, that left the Platinum case, and truth be told, it is great. I wanted a more fabric-like feel, but this finish feels more water resistant. Very happy.

My only concern is whether or not leaving an intel-based "always on" system in a sleeve is safe. I'm going to assume so as Microsoft sells these things.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Went looking for the Incipio ORD case, as I have the similar Incipio case that I used for my Surface RT and Surface 2. I loved it. Unfortunately, "out of stock" and "will ship in three months" weren't phrases I was comfortable with. With that being said, an extremely helpful Microsoft representative at Best Buy (I have to compliment this gentleman, far more helpful than representatives at the actual brick and mortar stores) directed me towards the Belkin and Platinum cases they carry. I was unsold on the Belkin as it did not have the compartment I so desperately long for as storage for my Arc Touch mouse. So, that left the Platinum case, and truth be told, it is great. I wanted a more fabric-like feel, but this finish feels more water resistant. Very happy.

My only concern is whether or not leaving an intel-based "always on" system in a sleeve is safe. I'm going to assume so as Microsoft sells these things.
I turn mine off for the most part if im not going to be using it for hours.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow, to me, this looks gorgeous. Now if only I could justify $108..... And stay married, I mean.
Amazon.com: Brown Zip-Around Leather Organizer Clutch Case for Apple 13-Inch MacBook Air: Electronics
Well, my birthday was a few weeks ago, and my wife picked this up for me. Since I don't have a job yet, I haven't used it much yet, so I can't give a great, in-depth review of it yet, but I'll give my first impressions. First, it is big. You can see in the picture below that there's probably close to two inches of space at the top above the top of the Surface. I wasn't expecting that. This is the model for the MacBook Air with Retina Display, BTW.

WP_20141031_12_40_50_Raw.jpg

It is also thick. There are a few layers of leather plus whatever stiffener is inside, to consider. I think I would prefer if it didn't have so many pockets. They make it tempting to fill them up, which QUICKLY adds to the bulk. For now, I think I will carry my Microsoft Arc Touch mouse, and a small 4-port USB hub and a 6" USB cable. The hub and cable are in the pocket with the flap, and the mouse goes into the pocket without a cover. I wouldn't mind if the pen holders on the right side and the pocket on the right side were gone. There is a pen holder in the middle that I put my Surface pen into, but there's only really room for one. The business card holders barely fit a business card, so don't count on those unless you want to put just a couple cards in them.

As for carrying it, like I said, I haven't used it much. But I think I will probably end up agreeing with several of the reviewers who said that they wish it had a handle. This isn't as big as the MB 15" that some of them are referring to, but it is still a good deal of bulk. Like I said, it would be nicer, I think, if there were fewer pockets.

Overall, I like it fairly well. There are some drawbacks - all the pockets make it mighty tempting to fill them up - but overall, I think it is a good folio. I'm not so sure it's worth $108, but it is pretty nice.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I would be in fear of storing things that would put undue pressure on the SP3 screen. Maybe just me being paranoid, but I'm loving the look of the case.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I would be in fear of storing things that would put undue pressure on the SP3 screen. Maybe just me being paranoid, but I'm loving the look of the case.
Good point - but see how I have it in there with the screen to the back? To me, it just goes better that way, sliding it in and out the way I do puts it in the most convenient position for the way I set it up, and so forth. Not only that, but a side-effect is that any pressure will be on the back, not the front, from things put into the pockets. As for screen protection, anything that's going to damage it has to get enough pressure through the leather back, the stiffening material in the back, a layer of some thin felt-feeling stuff (not really worth mentioning), and the TypeCover, before it can hurt the screen. I think it's pretty safe.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
You make a valid point. I'm noticing that there is a varying range of available color offerings. I'm wondering if the one for the 11" would be a better fit? Also is the pic below a good representation of the size? If so, then, yes, that is huge. They should consider adding a shoulder strap and handles like a saddle bag.

639713924282_main.jpg

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That looks about right for size. I'm not sure if the one for an 11" will fit or not. I'm starting to think about sending this one back. It's a lot of money for something you're only moderately satisfied with. In fact, today I'm taking my wife to the hospital for surgery, and she'll be in overnight, so I'm not even using this case for that. I'm using my smaller (but thicker) Case Logic tablet case, because I can stuff the power cord and my reading glasses case into it. The more I think about it, the more I think I may send this back. I love the style and the look - it's almost exactly what I want - but it's too big, and the excess pockets are not functional without it becoming just another case.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
In fact, since I'm sitting here thinking about it, I just processed the return. I like it, but not enough to keep it for that price. Maybe if it were smaller.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That's what it's all about. :wink:

Honestly, I wish I had liked it better. I really want that style of case. But it didn't turn out as good in real life as I thought it would.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss