Surface Pro 3 - longevity/true laptop?

Rafael Rodrigues

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone! It's my first post, so I hope you reply

My 4-year-old Vaio laptop is in serious need of a retirement, so I'm planning on buying something new and improved!
I'm going to college in a couple of moths to study Bioengineering, so I need something portable, but most of all, that can last and won't brake or become sluggish after a couple of years.
I was thinking about a MacBook Pro for that reason, but I really like the Surface Pro 3
My only concern is that it won't last me too long, or that some disaster will eventually happen and leave it "incapacitated"

Do you think a tablet can really withstand the years? Or the i7 CPU for that matter?
I just don't wanna regret my decision later on

Thanks a lot!

LeopardSurd

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Do you think a tablet can really withstand the years? Or the i7 CPU for that matter?
Thanks a lot!
I use a i5 gen 3 ultrabook with Win 8.1 and it's faster than on Win 7. Anyway, Windows 8 has a setting that allow to be reinstalled, like a factory reset for phones and no virus can produce an impossibility to reset the OS. Only a hardware failure. Sincerely, a Surface tablet will be in the future a replacement for my ultrabook.

An i7 gen 4 CPU is pure power for any portable device. More than I ever need.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
As with anything you choose, just get the extended warranty if you want peace of mind with the added protection. Microsoft has a package you can buy called 'Microsoft Complete' which covers spills and drops etc (with a deductable) for like an extra year I think...
With that said though, and I don't know about the pro models, my Surface 2 seems really well built. I've had it for about 8 months, and it does feel like it will stand the test of time.

Rafael Rodrigues

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
That's interesting regarding 8.1

I think SP2 is quite a nice device too, but I never did buy it for the same reason I have now. Besides, I thought the screen would be too small

But doesn't the kickstand make you worry? I know Microsoft spent many hours working on it, but will nit still work as advertised in a few years?

I really wanna love the SP3, cause I think it has potential to be different and to shape what comes next.
Interesting how nowadays Apple is the only company who doesn't "Think different" regarding hardware

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the surface pro 3 will site your needs well. I'm a graduate student in aeronautical engineering and I currently use the surface pro 2 as my tablet/laptop/desktop. I have had it since October and it still performs like a champ. The kick stand feels pretty solid still. The second position has a little more give than the first position, but it is maybe a millimeter of movement at the base. Since the new hinge is friction based (not click stops) it is even more solid. I know because I played with it at the Microsoft store yesterday.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they designed the hinge to fail after 100,000 full movements of the hinge. Lets say you move the hinge 25 times a day. At that rate it would take nearly ten years for the hinge to fail. I think the real scare is dropping the surface with the kickstand out. It would bend for sure.

dstrauss

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
The Surface Pro lines have been built like tanks (SPro 1 and SPro 2 - have had both). I have no reason to believe the SPro 3 won't be the same. I watched Panos drop his from shoulder height (on carpet of course) and nary a scratch. Get the Microsoft Complete coverage if you want to sleep a little easier.

As for being a complete replacement for a laptop/desktop - the Surface Pro 2, with two step kickstand, certainly is. Can't wait for June 20 and my SPro 3.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would say the only issue I had with the pro 2 is that sometimes it feels really small. Whenever I have two apps snapped side by side I always had to zoom in a ton. But with the pro 3 I think it will be a lot better.

I honestly think that the surface pro is better than a laptop, for students. When I go to school, I only have to bring my surface (I have two chargers, leave one in my office). I take all my handwritten notes in OneNote so there is no need for a paper notebook. At any university there are desks everywhere, so you don't really have to worry about lap-ability. In my opinion, it functions as a laptop quite well. Also, being able to pull off the keyboard to use it as a tablet while presenting or teaching is really nice.

Here is some more anecdotal evidence for you. I originally bought the surface pro 1 when it came out. When the surface pro 2 came out I sold my sp1 to upgrade. For about two weeks I had to use my wife's MacBook air since Microsoft had low stock of the sp2 for a long time. I'm pretty familiar with OSX and I know Macs are solid and well built. But those two weeks were rough. I kept trying to touch the screen. I had to take a notebook and then take pictures of my notes. Ultimately, I realized how limiting a laptop is. There is really only one use case. Once my sp2 came, I was very happy 😊.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I would say the only issue I had with the pro 2 is that sometimes it feels really small. Whenever I have two apps snapped side by side I always had to zoom in a ton. But with the pro 3 I think it will be a lot better.

I honestly think that the surface pro is better than a laptop, for students. When I go to school, I only have to bring my surface (I have two chargers, leave one in my office). I take all my handwritten notes in OneNote so there is no need for a paper notebook. At any university there are desks everywhere, so you don't really have to worry about lap-ability. In my opinion, it functions as a laptop quite well. Also, being able to pull off the concert to use it as a tablet while penguin or teaching is really nice.

Here is some more anecdotal evidence for you. I originally bought the surface pro 1 when it came out. When the surface pro 2 came out I sold my sp1 to upgrade. For about two weeks I had to use my wife's MacBook air since Microsoft had low stock of the sp2 for a long time. I'm pretty familiar with OSX and I know Macs are solid and well built. But those two weeks were rough. I kept trying to touch the screen. I had to take a notebook and then take pictures of my notes.

I could picture that.

A non-touch device, such as a Macbook Pro might feel limiting and antiquated a few years from now.

Rafael Rodrigues

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
That's quite an interesting perspective.
I'm glad to know the SP2 worked so well for you

I see myself using it just like you!
One question always comes to mind: do you think the processing power is enough to handle engineering software?
The i7 benchmarks similar to the i5 on the rMBP, but that's a full mobile chip (although ulv)

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site

My 4-year-old Vaio laptop is in serious need of a retirement, so I'm planning on buying something new and improved!
I'm going to college in a couple of moths to study Bioengineering, so I need something portable, but most of all, that can last and won't brake or become sluggish after a couple of years.
I was thinking about a MacBook Pro for that reason, but I really like the Surface Pro 3
My only concern is that it won't last me too long, or that some disaster will eventually happen and leave it "incapacitated"

Thanks a lot!
Historically (last 5-6 years) Macbooks were indeed trouble-free and didn't suffer from the creeping bloat-itis that traditionally afflicted Windows machines. But in the post-Jobs era, Apple has in my opinion lost their footing and Macbooks aren't as trouble-free as they once were. At the same time, Microsoft has made significant strides in system maintenance and stability with Windows 8.1... not to the level that OSX once was, but better than ever. I think that Windows 8.1 will hold up well.

From a hardware perspective, the Surface hardware (entire line of devices) is leading edge. But it doesn't have a track record. We don't know how well it will hold up over time. Performance-wise I've read reports where the SP2 eeks out better performance than the SP3 under certain conditions due to the differences in CPU and # of pixels being pushed to the screen.

Factoring in all of the above, for your needs I would recommend a Surface Pro 2. It seems like a more durable, lasting design than the SP3. But then again, I prefer the iPad 4 over the iPad Air.

I own a Surface 2 (along with a variety of other tablets) and it is built like a tank (in all the good ways, none of the bad ones)

Rafael Rodrigues

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Interesting...

I find the SP2 a marvelous device, but as it has been stated before, I think it's too small...
10.6 inches just feels small, like a normal tablet

The 12 inches, imo, seem to be much more suitable for laptop needs while still being portable and light

Plus: 3:2 aspect ratio

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Interesting...

I find the SP2 a marvelous device, but as it has been stated before, I think it's too small...
10.6 inches just feels small, like a normal tablet

The 12 inches, imo, seem to be much more suitable for laptop needs while still being portable and light

Plus: 3:2 aspect ratio
Yes and yes on the 10.6" feeling small and 3:2 aspect ratio being a plus.

I regularly switch between my Surface 2 (10.6") and Asus X200MA (11.6") netbook. When I need the ultimate in portability, I'll grab my S2 w/TypeCover2. It's a reasonable trade-off for the smaller screen size... doesn't impede my productivity that much. I've been quite pleasantly surprised by the usability of the Asus' 11.6" screen, and I can see the appeal of the SP3's 12" screen.

Having said that, I think that for students, there is a benefit to having a SMALLER device that can then hook up to a larger screen. Take the smaller device untethered to classes, lectures, library, etc. and then attach it to a larger monitor at home/dorm.

The Surface 2 does a remarkable job handling an external display. I can only imagine how much better the PRO version does (with the availability of legacy apps)

I can see an SP2 + (dock +) monitor being an overall more flexible solution than going all in on an SP3.

Rafael Rodrigues

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
That's interesting...
I was definitely thinking of hooking it up to a monitor, and using it as a desktop too

There is a place here in Portugal selling all SP3 with 10% discount on pre order, so it's like 150 euros off on the i7! It's a great deal, and I was considering that over the SP2 cause it only costs 100 euros more, it's the last generation and it has the i7-4650, superior to the processor on the SP2

I guess what you mentioned before about the processing power of the SP2 vs SP3 is with both i5. Microsoft says the i7 is 20% better without decreasing the battery life

One thing going for the SP3 is the keyboard cover, with the far better track pad!

Honesty, I don't see much point on getting the SP2 with all improvements they made with the design, hinge, screen, processor and overall the price in getting it at (just north of 1400 euros)

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
That's interesting...
I was definitely thinking of hooking it up to a monitor, and using it as a desktop too

There is a place here in Portugal selling all SP3 with 10% discount on pre order, so it's like 150 euros off on the i7! It's a great deal, and I was considering that over the SP2 cause it only costs 100 euros more, it's the last generation and it has the i7-4650, superior to the processor on the SP2
Price is certainly a factor. If there are incentives to buying an SP3 vs an SP2 that obviously needs to be taken into consideration.

I guess what you mentioned before about the processing power of the SP2 vs SP3 is with both i5. Microsoft says the i7 is 20% better without decreasing the battery life

One thing going for the SP3 is the keyboard cover, with the far better track pad!

Honesty, I don't see much point on getting the SP2 with all improvements they made with the design, hinge, screen, processor and overall the price in getting it at (just north of 1400 euros)
Do you know firsthand that the SP3 keyboard cover trackpad is better? Panay said that it was better (I wouldn't expect him to say anything different), but reviews are mixed. Most say that there is improvement, none say that it is on par with quality trackpads.

But that's just the optional keyboard cover. You could always go with a 3rd party bluetooth keyboard.

Rafael Rodrigues

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Well, I don't really expect it to be on par with an MBP trackpad, but it's better than the one on the SP2.

I thought of an external keyboard, but the combination of SP3 + cover is muc sexier! They intertwin, making the device feel whole, I think

It's a pity Microsoft didn't include them with the tablet...

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The sp3 track pad is loads better than the sp2. It isn't as good as a MacBook, but then again, nobody beats the track pads on Macs.

As for engineering software. I run matlab and solidworks on my pro 2 (4GB version) and it handles pretty well. I haven't done any assemblies with more than 200 parts so it may get bogged down with bigger ones. Just make sure your running it in high performance mode, which makes battery life pretty terrible.

Rafael Rodrigues

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
That's quite low, but since the charging time is quick I guess it's usable
Though a rMBP would maybe have better battery life (not really sure with such CPU-demanding tasks)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb