09-13-2015 10:58 AM
80 123 ...
tools
    Today I received my Surface Pro 3. I have been playing around with it a bit, and am really loving it. This topic is intended for people who are on the fence about getting one, and where you can ask quick questions you may have about it to help your purchase decision. Just ask away, and I will try to answer the best I can.

Chad

Posted via Surface Pro 3.
    06-20-2014 12:55 PM
    Which keyboard did you get?

Ha - you weren't expecting that one, were you?
    kittengirl likes this.
    06-20-2014 12:57 PM
    Which keyboard did you get?

Ha - you weren't expecting that one, were you?
    Haha :P

I got the black one, since it seemed the most 'professional' to me, and none of the other colors really fit my personal taste.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    06-20-2014 12:59 PM
    I've been thinking blue from Best Buy, but having gone in and looked at it in the store, I'm starting to have second thoughts. Not as gung-ho after seeing it with the silver Surface.
    06-20-2014 01:05 PM
    I've been thinking blue from Best Buy, but having gone in and looked at it in the store, I'm starting to have second thoughts. Not as gung-ho after seeing it with the silver Surface.
    I really like the black with the SP3, and the colors are very nice together. The black type cover actually looks slightly gray to me, but it is very close to black.

06-20-2014 01:08 PM
    Kinda crazy how the loud the fan got while installing the updates. Did the same thing happen to you?

06-20-2014 01:10 PM
    Does it....

*puts on sunglasses*

Seem faster?
    06-20-2014 01:11 PM
    I have a question, does the new place for the Home button make it harder to use (a pain in the bum)?
    06-20-2014 01:13 PM
    Kinda crazy how the loud the fan got while installing the updates. Did the same thing happen to you?

I have never even heard the fan running yet. Updates are installing now, and still don't hear it.

06-20-2014 01:14 PM
    Does it....

*puts on sunglasses*

Seem faster?
    I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to. :P

06-20-2014 01:15 PM
    I have a question, does the new place for the Home button make it harder to use (a pain in the bum)?
    It does sometimes. I have accidentally pressed it several times in landscape; however, I didn't accidentally trigger it in portrait. Hopefully Microsoft gives a way to disable it, as I doubt I will use it much anyways.

06-20-2014 01:17 PM
    It does sometimes. I have accidentally pressed it several times in landscape; however, I didn't accidentally trigger it in portrait. Hopefully Microsoft gives a way to disable it, as I doubt I will use it much anyways.

Oh thanks, now my Sister can get one... she's been holding out because of that
    06-20-2014 01:18 PM
    Also on a scale of 1 - 10 what's your experience with your Surface Pro 3? Thanks
    06-20-2014 01:19 PM
    How's the audio quality through earphones/headphones?
    06-20-2014 01:21 PM
    I have never even heard the fan running yet. Updates are installing now, and still don't hear it.

Hmm that's weird, cause mine is still running even though it's finished installing the updates. I'll observe how it behaves the next few days of use.

06-20-2014 01:23 PM
    Also on a scale of 1 - 10 what's your experience with your Surface Pro 3? Thanks
    I would say an 8 so far. It is an amazing device; however, it still has a few software quirks, and the pen has to be pressed to the screen too hard to reach maximum pressure curve. It is a little hard for me to get used to, since its so light, and small compared to my nearly 5 pound 17" laptop. In summary, I love it and would not trade it for anything else right now; however the kickstand and keyboard may take a little more to get used to than a conventional laptop.

06-20-2014 01:27 PM
    Seems pretty good. I am no audio expert, but the audio through my Sony earbuds sounds rich and full, with a good mix of bass.

TornadoBoy likes this.
    06-20-2014 01:29 PM
    I have a Nokia 2520 and have a problem with it being not very sensitive to touch - particularly when using IE. Sometimes I need to touch several times to check a box on a form - often times having to enlarge the screen for it to recognize the touch. Has this been an issue with the Surface Pro 3 at all?
    06-20-2014 01:49 PM
    Haha :P

I got the black one, since it seemed the most 'professional' to me, and none of the other colors really fit my personal taste.

yeah, I used to worry about that too... My first two surfaces and all laptops before hand were all purchased with the boardroom in mind... With the last surface, I bought the black type cover and a blue touch cover... It was just and really made my surface POP! There was nothing about it that took the professionalism down. Everyone liked it... I will be getting a blue/cyan cover for the surface 3.

The thing I worried more about with the colors was a dirty environment... Well, I am very clean person and I should not have worried in the first place. The cover stayed clean and at the same time is easy to wipe/clean.
    06-20-2014 01:55 PM
    I have a Nokia 2520 and have a problem with it being not very sensitive to touch - particularly when using IE. Sometimes I need to touch several times to check a box on a form - often times having to enlarge the screen for it to recognize the touch. Has this been an issue with the Surface Pro 3 at all?
    The screen on the Surface Pro 3 seems very responsive. I can click on small buttons without any issues, and sensitivity seems excellent. On the topic of the screen, I LOVE the screen. It is so much better than my older laptop. The resolution is great, colors are vivid, and viewing angles are excellent.
    06-20-2014 02:25 PM
    Does the pen work? Mine keeps saying NOT CONNECTED. It will open OneNote with the button but will not write in OneNote.
    06-20-2014 02:42 PM
    Through decent earphones, mine sounds great. The built in speakers have pretty much no bass though.
    jedge and TornadoBoy like this.
    06-20-2014 02:54 PM
    My pen works as expected. I suspect there is something wrong with the AAAA battery in yours. Maybe the battery is dead on arrival or inserted backwards. If not, then it's probably a defective pen.
    garak0410 likes this.
    06-20-2014 02:56 PM

Yep, that fan seems to get pretty active with just about any CPU intensive tasks. Copying files over LAN, playing games, etc. Normal use... seems to be pretty quiet though.

However, even light tasks, this thing like to stay warm. Especially the top/right area. Haven't really seen it go much below 95-98F with light usage.
    06-20-2014 03:04 PM
    How long does it take the battery to charge. Does the light on the charger on the entry point change colors? Mine is white now and been charging for 4.5 hours.
    06-20-2014 03:24 PM
80 123 ...