Returning my Surface Pro 3

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Preordered on the 20th of last month, but after having it for just a few hours, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't the right device for me. I use my laptop on my lap A LOT, and no matter how much I've tried, it's just a little difficult to use for a long period of time. Also, the weight isn't evenly distributed between the tablet itself and the type cover, so I have to consciously try to keep it balanced.

I'll probably end up getting a MacBook Pro with retina display and running Windows VMs on there, and stick to my iPad mini as my go to tablet.

It's an awesome device and I'm sure it'll meet the needs of many; not just me, unfortunately. Bummer because I got the i5/128GB for only $799. O well...

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
you should stick with it for at least a week, my wife bought he pro 2 and hated it for the first week now she loves it swiping this closing apps with a swoosh , now i want a pro mini 3

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Preordered on the 20th of last month, but after having it for just a few hours, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't the right device for me. I use my laptop on my lap A LOT, and no matter how much I've tried, it's just a little difficult to use for a long period of time. Also, the weight isn't evenly distributed between the tablet itself and the type cover, so I have to consciously try to keep it balanced.

I'll probably end up getting a MacBook Pro with retina display and running Windows VMs on there, and stick to my iPad mini as my go to tablet.

It's an awesome device and I'm sure it'll meet the needs of many; not just me, unfortunately. Bummer because I got the i5/128GB for only $799. O well...

exactly what my neighbor did. he wanted the surface to rock, buy having all the weight up high just doesn't make sense . he either got the air or the pro Mac laptop not sure, and loves it.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I do agree with bozza72. If you have the patience I would suggest sticking it out for a little, it really is a cool product that requires a bit of time to adjust to. It took me a good week or so to really feel comfortable and find a way I like holding my Surface in my lap!

Ultimately the choice is yours, but my suggestion is to stick it out a little longer and see if it grows on you!
Best of luck!

Techno-guy

May 23, 2014
Visit site
You'll REALLY miss touching the screen on your MacBook. I know because I have a MacBook and a Surface Pro 3 (formerly a Surface 2) and everytime I go back to the MacBook I reach up for the screen to touch it! Try the 3 for a week as the others suggested. You may find, like I have, that it's an absolutely outstanding device!

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
If you use your laptop on your lap a lot, I can see your point as to why you may prefer a traditional laptop setup.
When I use my MacBook Pro in my lap, it only requires 9" of lap space. When I use my Surface Pro 3 in a comfortable position or extended fully, it requires 12-16" of lap space. With both devices near your knees the MacBook will have plenty of space between you and the keyboard, while the Surface Pro 3 will be close to your stomach, if not touching it. I've noticed that different types of chairs have different levels of comfort when using the Surface Pro 3. I flip the keyboard under quite often to make more room, but unfortunately that requires me to use the virtual keyboard more. I still like what the Surface Pro 3 has to offer, but it may not be best suited for all.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site

You have an awesome deal. I'd suggest trying it out a bit longer before you return it. Like many others have mentioned. It is something that could grow on you like the original did with me. I can't really imagine going back and using separate devices now.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Wouldnt it be smarter to try sell it if you got it on a good deal? Might actually make some money there? :DI have no experience with sp3 (got first gen RT) but I suppose if I primarly used it on the lap, I'd get some Windows-hybrid that has a self supporting hinge.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Could be an employee discount which you are typically not allowed to sell until after a year or so. If that were the case it is also against company policy to share your discount price because it is typically 10% more than what the company paid for the unit and that would be anticompetitive to give that value out.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't blame you. I never use mine on my lap but if I did I would have a true laptop instead. All the fancy stands and what not can't make up for the weight distribution. Can it work in a lap? Yes. Is it as good as a laptop in a lap? Of course not.

HAMEDACC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
any one can help me?
I used to drawing and designing graphic
which one is better for me? iPad air or surface pro 3?
and how we can install software on surface pro which already is on CD?
Thx

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
any one can help me?
I used to drawing and designing graphic
which one is better for me? iPad air or surface pro 3?
and how we can install software on surface pro which already is on CD?
Thx
Buy a external cd drive & plug it into the USB port or copy the cd to one drive & install from there, delete when done. Or copy the cd to a flash drive. Super simple

HAMEDACC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Buy a external cd drive & plug it into the USB port or copy the cd to one drive & install from there, delete when done. Or copy the cd to a flash drive. Super simple

Thx, but is any way to install it from my current PC on Surface like via USB?
and do u have any idea about my first question?(Graphic design and drawing, surface VS ipad)

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Thx, but is any way to install it from my current PC on Surface like via USB?
and do u have any idea about my first question?(Graphic design and drawing, surface VS ipad)

Surface Pro 3 runs full Windows. So it definitely has more/better graphic design and drawing software than apps available on an iPad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6