06-23-2014 02:13 PM
52 123
tools
    Preordered on the 20th of last month, but after having it for just a few hours, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't the right device for me. I use my laptop on my lap A LOT, and no matter how much I've tried, it's just a little difficult to use for a long period of time. Also, the weight isn't evenly distributed between the tablet itself and the type cover, so I have to consciously try to keep it balanced.

I'll probably end up getting a MacBook Pro with retina display and running Windows VMs on there, and stick to my iPad mini as my go to tablet.

It's an awesome device and I'm sure it'll meet the needs of many; not just me, unfortunately. Bummer because I got the i5/128GB for only $799. O well...
    06-20-2014 07:17 PM
    I'll give you $801 for it....
    06-20-2014 07:18 PM
    I'll give you $801 for it....
    Taxes and shipping ehn....?
    06-20-2014 07:22 PM
    Wrong forum for this conversation...
    06-20-2014 07:51 PM
    I was joking....
    06-20-2014 07:53 PM
    you should stick with it for at least a week, my wife bought he pro 2 and hated it for the first week now she loves it swiping this closing apps with a swoosh , now i want a pro mini 3
    Qtweeder likes this.
    06-20-2014 08:25 PM
    Preordered on the 20th of last month, but after having it for just a few hours, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't the right device for me. I use my laptop on my lap A LOT, and no matter how much I've tried, it's just a little difficult to use for a long period of time. Also, the weight isn't evenly distributed between the tablet itself and the type cover, so I have to consciously try to keep it balanced.

I'll probably end up getting a MacBook Pro with retina display and running Windows VMs on there, and stick to my iPad mini as my go to tablet.

It's an awesome device and I'm sure it'll meet the needs of many; not just me, unfortunately. Bummer because I got the i5/128GB for only $799. O well...
    exactly what my neighbor did. he wanted the surface to rock, buy having all the weight up high just doesn't make sense . he either got the air or the pro Mac laptop not sure, and loves it.
    06-20-2014 08:37 PM
    Maybe you could post some photos of what it looks like on your lap.
    06-20-2014 09:02 PM
    I do agree with bozza72. If you have the patience I would suggest sticking it out for a little, it really is a cool product that requires a bit of time to adjust to. It took me a good week or so to really feel comfortable and find a way I like holding my Surface in my lap!

Ultimately the choice is yours, but my suggestion is to stick it out a little longer and see if it grows on you!
    Best of luck!
    Editguy1900 and Guytronic like this.
    06-20-2014 09:03 PM
    You'll REALLY miss touching the screen on your MacBook. I know because I have a MacBook and a Surface Pro 3 (formerly a Surface 2) and everytime I go back to the MacBook I reach up for the screen to touch it! Try the 3 for a week as the others suggested. You may find, like I have, that it's an absolutely outstanding device!
    jlzimmerman likes this.
    06-20-2014 11:07 PM
    If you use your laptop on your lap a lot, I can see your point as to why you may prefer a traditional laptop setup.
    When I use my MacBook Pro in my lap, it only requires 9" of lap space. When I use my Surface Pro 3 in a comfortable position or extended fully, it requires 12-16" of lap space. With both devices near your knees the MacBook will have plenty of space between you and the keyboard, while the Surface Pro 3 will be close to your stomach, if not touching it. I've noticed that different types of chairs have different levels of comfort when using the Surface Pro 3. I flip the keyboard under quite often to make more room, but unfortunately that requires me to use the virtual keyboard more. I still like what the Surface Pro 3 has to offer, but it may not be best suited for all.
    06-20-2014 11:34 PM

You have an awesome deal. I'd suggest trying it out a bit longer before you return it. Like many others have mentioned. It is something that could grow on you like the original did with me. I can't really imagine going back and using separate devices now.
    06-21-2014 01:08 AM
    Wouldnt it be smarter to try sell it if you got it on a good deal? Might actually make some money there? :DI have no experience with sp3 (got first gen RT) but I suppose if I primarly used it on the lap, I'd get some Windows-hybrid that has a self supporting hinge.
    06-21-2014 10:15 AM
    Could be an employee discount which you are typically not allowed to sell until after a year or so. If that were the case it is also against company policy to share your discount price because it is typically 10% more than what the company paid for the unit and that would be anticompetitive to give that value out.
    06-21-2014 10:21 AM
    I don't blame you. I never use mine on my lap but if I did I would have a true laptop instead. All the fancy stands and what not can't make up for the weight distribution. Can it work in a lap? Yes. Is it as good as a laptop in a lap? Of course not.
    06-21-2014 03:31 PM
    any one can help me?
    I used to drawing and designing graphic
    which one is better for me? iPad air or surface pro 3?
    and how we can install software on surface pro which already is on CD?
    Thx
    06-21-2014 04:08 PM
    any one can help me?
    I used to drawing and designing graphic
    which one is better for me? iPad air or surface pro 3?
    and how we can install software on surface pro which already is on CD?
    Thx
    Buy a external cd drive & plug it into the USB port or copy the cd to one drive & install from there, delete when done. Or copy the cd to a flash drive. Super simple
    06-21-2014 04:26 PM
    Buy a external cd drive & plug it into the USB port or copy the cd to one drive & install from there, delete when done. Or copy the cd to a flash drive. Super simple
    Thx, but is any way to install it from my current PC on Surface like via USB?
    and do u have any idea about my first question?(Graphic design and drawing, surface VS ipad)
    06-21-2014 04:28 PM
    and do u have any idea about my first question?(Graphic design and drawing, surface VS ipad)
    Surface Pro 3 runs full Windows. So it definitely has more/better graphic design and drawing software than apps available on an iPad.
    HAMEDACC likes this.
    06-21-2014 04:54 PM
    Give you 5 bucks and a dorito for that piece of heaven
    06-21-2014 05:14 PM
    Have you considered getting a Windows 8 Ultrabook? Something with a touch screen.
    calfee20 likes this.
    06-21-2014 05:49 PM
    What the OP says is the biggest problem with marketing the surface series as a laptop replacement. messing around with the cover and the kickstand is just more complicated and less effective than a single simple hinge that you get on a laptop. I see the Surface 2 as a great complement to a proper windows laptop, but there's no way I would want to replace my PC with a surface pro.

All in one devices are going to fail. They try to cater for every use case but end up catering for none. MS needs to realise this and build a version of windows for touch, and a version for desktop. But they still need to work well together. It's a tough thing to get right

And they need to hurry up and get touch versions of office out as soon as possible.
    HAMEDACC likes this.
    06-21-2014 05:49 PM
    I think so, yes. Here's what i did. Put both your SP3 and your desktop computer on a HomeGroup. What this means is they will be able to "share" resources. I'm not sure if this works with XP, but it does with Win7, Win8, and probably Vista.

So, on your desktop, look for "HomeGroup" in your Explorer View:
    Attachment 69856
    Click it and a wizard will walk you through creating the HomeGroup and will give you a code. SAVE THIS CODE. Do the same thing on the SP3, and when it asks for the code, just type it in. Tell it which resources you want to share and after a bit of sync time you'll see each pc under each other's HomeGroup.

Now back on your SP3, if you expand your HomeGroup (or Network) and see all the shared resources from your desktop pc and vice versa.

Attachment 69860
    HAMEDACC likes this.
    06-21-2014 06:22 PM
    Here's where it gets a bit tricky. The CD/DVD drive won't automatically be shared, so you'll have to do that part extra. On your desktop, find your CD/DVD in Explorer. Right-click -> Properties -> Advanced Tab -> Advanced Sharing. Check "Share this Folder" and give it a name. The default "Read Only" permission should be fine so just click Ok.
    Attachment 69861

Also, note down the Network Path:
    Attachment 69862
    HAMEDACC and mcheiron like this.
    06-21-2014 06:22 PM
    I'm not sure why it doesn't just show up under Network or Homegroup now that it's shared. But i had to do this.
    On your SP3 open Explorer. Right click a blank spot and choose "Add a network location"
    Attachment 69863

Follow the wizard and when it ask for a Internet or Network address, type in the Network Path exactly that you saw above. Next it will ask you to give the new resource a name and that's it. It should show up in your drives list in Explorer now. If there is a disk your desktop CD\DVD drive you will be able to access it from your SP3.

If it's a program disk, you'll probably have to open it up then look for the Setup dot exe or Autorun dot exe on the first level. I did this for both the DVD-RW and flash card reader on my desktop. Hope this helps.

P.S, sorry for the triple-post, the forum wouldn't allow it as one, said it was spam.
    HAMEDACC likes this.
    06-21-2014 06:23 PM
52 123