Pen + OneNote from lock not working

Jugler

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
So I bought my Surface Pro 3 today, everything about this device is awesome.

In the first hours I was happily showing off to everyone at work how to write notes even when the device was locked by clicking the Pen and OneNote coming up, it worked every single time, like in the ads.

Then I updated everything, installed Visual Studio and some of my metro apps (facebook, netflix, hulu)

After that I tried to use the pen to go from lockscreen to OneNote with no success, I know it tries to do something because when I press the button twice it goes from lock screen to put your password screen, but it no longer wakes the Surface up or lets me writes notes while locked.

When its unlocked it still lets me go to onenote when pressing the button.

Havent found any config menu or stuff to move around.... tried removing the surface pen and pairing it again with no success...

Anybody else in my situation??

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Do either of you have the new firmware installed? It was released yesterday and I think it addresses some issues with sleep/wake and the pen. You have to go through Windows Update a couple of times to see the firmware and other updates. The first pass only brings up a single pre-requisite update.

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Mine didn't work when I pressed it once while it was sleep.
After double clicking it, I was taken to the screen prior to the lockscreen.
I then pressed the button again, and it took me to OneNote.
After that I've been able to awake my device with a single click.
Not sure if this will happen again after it goes into a deep sleep.

Jugler

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
There are no updates left.
The strange thing is it was working perfectly when I took the Surface out of the box, once I ran all the updates and installed a few things it stopped working. Not very keen on restoring the surface and reinstalling visual studio...

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
It probably wasn't Visual Studio itself, but it was the Hyper-V feature that's often installed with VS, particularly if you installed the WP dev stuff, since the emulators run in VMs. Hyper-V is not yet compatible with Connected Standby (and there's not yet a public ETA for Microsoft adding it) . Connected Standby is what lets the computer is slightly aware -- enough to respond to the pen button.

Choices: 1) remove the Hyper-V feature to regain Connected Standby or 2) live without Connected Standby and the fancy pen button feature.

I went with choice 1. Of course, I can't work on my mobile apps without reinstalling Hyper-V first. Ugh.

I've just uninstalled Hyper-V (leaving VS installed) and the pen works again.

(I also posted this as a separate thread so that the actual cause is more clear in the thread title.)

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Just posted a reply to that other thread too, but it's probably helpful here as well:

I saw something on Twitter about this:

Top tip for #wpdev on Surface Pro 3.. to temporarily disable hyper-V to get full connected standby, bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
To turn it back on again bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto. Requires a reboot but advantage is you don't need to blow away hyperv
Oh and bcdedit /enum shows you the current hyperv launch state

From https://twitter.com/Clarkezone

Jugler

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, lots of thanks for the info about HyperV, just saw the other post then came in here to see the responses as well.

I can confirm this was my issue, after I disabled HyperV and rebooted I was able to use the pen as intended, and regained the connected standby (that I also lost).

Just remember to run the commands as administrator, made a simple batch file to enable/disable for when I want to code.

Thanks a lot!

Jugler

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Actually it started happening again, i have sleep working and hyper V disabled, it worked a couple of times, but now it started misbehaving again. I can press the button and it takes me to One Note when unlocked, but when I have the computer locked it just goes to the "type your password screen" instead of opening OneNote... weird...

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
If this is caused by Hyper-V then that is super cr@p. Hyper-V (and it's emulated network adapters) is already preventing the Smart Glass app from working and that's existed since Smart Glass was released so I don't hold hope for this latest issue to be sorted any time soon.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Given how poorly hyperv works with a wireless connection I just run vmware instead. Hyperv is great on a server but just isn't yet ready for mobile use.

Bigfireq

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It's not Hyperv. It's an intermittent problem that was mistakenly associated with hyperv. I never installed Visual Studio and I have the same problem, it sometimes works perfectly and then sometimes works as described in this thread. I haven't seen a rhyme or reason to it.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
It's not Hyperv. It's an intermittent problem that was mistakenly associated with hyperv. I never installed Visual Studio and I have the same problem, it sometimes works perfectly and then sometimes works as described in this thread. I haven't seen a rhyme or reason to it.

There may also be another intermittent problem at work here, but Hyper V is definitely also a culprit. Hyper V disables connected standby which this feature requires to work properly.

TywinnLannister

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I know you said you installed the update, did you install the Windows Update or the Microsoft Office updates?
I had the same issue as well, after I installed the Office updates, it remedies it.

The reason why I mentioned this is because I thought the windows updates would include office as well, but it did not. So I have to download separately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos