The Connected Standby feature that lets Surface get good standby battery life while also letting tiles update and the "magic" button on the Surface pen work stops working if you install Hyper-V. Since Hyper-V is used in development a lot, installing Visual Studio may disable the Connected Standby feature. There's not yet a public ETA for Microsoft adding Connected Standby support to Hyper-V.

You can quickly tell if you have Connected Standby support by placing your mouse over the battery icon on the desktop tray. If it shows an estimated run time, you do NOT have Connected Standby; if it only shows a percentage, you do.

Choices: 1) remove the Hyper-V feature to regain Connected Standby or 2) live without Connected Standby and the long standby battery life fancy pen button feature to invoke OneNote from the Connected Standby state.

I went with choice 1. Of course, I can't work on my mobile apps without reinstalling Hyper-V first, which requires a . Ugh.
    UchihaZephyr likes this.
    06-21-2014 09:45 AM
    I saw something on Twitter about this:

Top tip for #wpdev on Surface Pro 3.. to temporarily disable hyper-V to get full connected standby, bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
    To turn it back on again bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto. Requires a reboot but advantage is you don't need to blow away hyperv
    Oh and bcdedit /enum shows you the current hyperv launch state
    From https://twitter.com/Clarkezone
    UchihaZephyr likes this.
    06-21-2014 09:50 AM
    Does VMware workstation disable connected standby ?
    06-21-2014 02:47 PM
    Does VMware workstation disable connected standby ?
    No. It doesn't seem to have any impact on connected standby on mine (VMware Workstation 9).
    06-21-2014 02:53 PM