SP3: Does the keyboard do its job?

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
For those of you who have received or purchased the SP3, how is it for writing large essays, reports, and articles? Im worried about getting a device that will turn out to be a hassle to type on. So is it a hassle?

anon(7935575)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the same question. I have a desktop which is wearing out. I need a laptop which is extremely portable and does the work effectively. I liked surface but I'm hesitant to try it due to the keyboard.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I own the Type Cover 2 and have used the SP3 type cover and they feel very similar, the SP3 being bigger of course. But in my experience, my Type Cover 2 is what I primarily use for typing school essays and I have had zero problems with it.

Worse comes to worse, if you have a long essay to type and you prefer a different keyboard.... just plug it in! ;D

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
The suitability of keyboards is highly personal and subjective. If you haven't done so yet, I encourage you to try one out in person.

I have a Type Cover 2 and have used it for extensive typing sessions. Blog articles, study notes, research, etc. Even though the key travel is very shallow, the keyboard is actually one of the best that I've used... period. I'm a touch typist and the minimal resistance of the keys allows me to type more quickly, for a longer period of time, with less fatigue. The trackpad on the other hand is one of the worst that I've used anywhere. (but that is the TypeCover2... supposedly the TypeCover3 has fixed the issues with the trackpad)

But like I said, it is highly subjective.

acsn

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I do not own any previous Surface devices but have the SP3 now. I say it takes some getting used to. After a day or so, I am typing faster on it now. I use it on mainly flat surfaces like a table so no issue there.

Even though the kickstand variable angles works better now but I find that if you mainly do your typing with SP3 on your lap, you will probably want something else. That is just my opinion. Others may say otherwise so I suggest you find a store to try it out.

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The keyboard works just fine for me on the SP3. For those times when you need to do a lot of typing and the SP3 keyboard isn't sufficient, you could always remove the keyboard and supplement a full sized Bluetooth or USB keyboard.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
For those of you who have received or purchased the SP3, how is it for writing large essays, reports, and articles? Im worried about getting a device that will turn out to be a hassle to type on. So is it a hassle?

As said above it is very much like the Type cover 2. I do like the new magnetic attachment that allows for a better angle though.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
For me, comparing the new type cover and the first gen type cover is night/day (with the new one representing day).

On my old SP, I pretty much used the type cover as a cover. The track pad was useless and the keyboard flakey. I'd finally given up on it and started using a portable Bluetooth keyboard instead.

The new Type Cover is orders of magnitude better, both with respect to keyboard (I can use it in "laptop on belly in bed" mode, which I couldn't with the SP1), and the track pad. Of course, the old one was so bad that the new one merely clears "acceptable," but I still much appreciate the improvement.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I had the TypeCover 2, and now the 3, and both work great. I've had severe tendonitis in both hands in the past, so when I buy a keyboard (which I won't do without trying one first), I look for a light touch. Ergonomic shape is preferred, but not as important to me as a light touch. I have had no problems with either of the TypeCovers that I've had, and there are times when I do some serious typing, and when I say typing, I can hit 70+ words a minute on a good day.

As Willy said, keyboards are very personal. Try it before you buy it. You won't be sorry you did, with any keyboard, not just the TypeCovers.

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I have been pleasantly surprised by the keyboard so far. I am very used to typing on small keyboards to the transition was pretty easy for me. I was planning on hooking up a Bluetooth keyboard but have decided against it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
They only key that I wish was there that isn't is a Print Screen button. That button is VERY handy if you're wanting to take screenshots. My current alternative is to use the OneNote icon in the system tray as a shortcut to the screen clipping tool, then paste to whatever, but using Alt-Print Screen is nicer because you get the active window, exactly, without any extra to trim off (nice, if that's what you want).

Marcellus1

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
They only key that I wish was there that isn't is a Print Screen button. That button is VERY handy if you're wanting to take screenshots. My current alternative is to use the OneNote icon in the system tray as a shortcut to the screen clipping tool, then paste to whatever, but using Alt-Print Screen is nicer because you get the active window, exactly, without any extra to trim off (nice, if that's what you want).

You can take screenshots without the print screen button or without onenote. From the SP3 user manual:
"To take a snapshot of your screen, press and hold the Windows button on your Surface, and then press the volume-down button. The screen dims briefly when the screen is captured. A picture of the screen is saved in the Screenshots folder, which is in the Pictures folder."

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You can take screenshots without the print screen button or without onenote. From the SP3 user manual:
"To take a snapshot of your screen, press and hold the Windows button on your Surface, and then press the volume-down button. The screen dims briefly when the screen is captured. A picture of the screen is saved in the Screenshots folder, which is in the Pictures folder."

That works, but most often I want just the active window. With the Print Screen button, Alt-Print Screen gives you exactly that. Thanks for the tip, though - I knew about it but I'd forgotten about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss