OneNote metro or desktop

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I use Metro apps for more "tablet" based uses... Facebook, Twitter, Internet Explorer, etc. Desktop programs (still pinned to my Metro desktop) for productivity or anything that lacks an app.... Office, website links (LinkedIn, local bank, etc.)

jonty12

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I use Metro apps for more "tablet" based uses... Facebook, Twitter, Internet Explorer, etc. Desktop programs (still pinned to my Metro desktop) for productivity or anything that lacks an app.... Office, website links (LinkedIn, local bank, etc.)

Sorry to hijack... how do you pin a desktop IE bookmark to your start page? I can do it with a metro website, but can't seem to do it with a desktop one.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hijack... how do you pin a desktop IE bookmark to your start page? I can do it with a metro website, but can't seem to do it with a desktop one.

Why does it matter to you if it is metro IE versus desktop IE? (...and I don't know the answer...)

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
After consulting with my husband, I may switch to Metro. I'm trying to convert over to using OneNote for meeting notes at work. After taking the notes on my Surface, I'll be archiving them on my work computer. He has informed me that Metro notebooks can be opened in the Desktop program, and conversion to text done at that time. I feel like the Metro version gives a slightly better note taking experience, so this may be the workflow I use, since I'll be transferring the notes anyway. I'll have to test out both and see what I like best. FYI, my husband is a SDET for OneNote at Microsoft, so he's a pretty reliable resource if you have additional questions.

Yes it does. I use Metro on my SP3 and synch with my desktop which uses 2013. This is automatic, if you use OneDrive as the notebook repository. When you close OneNote on your SP3, it automatically synchs if it has a internet connection. When you open OneNote 2013 on your desktop, it will automatically synch; from there you can do things like hand writing recognition, etc. My 7 yo daughter likes to use my SP3 to practice her cursive handwriting.

Steven Penner

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Metro/Universal all the way. Much cleaner interface, easier to focus on taking notes. Plus the way that the UI presents the organization options just resonates with me more than the desktop version.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Metro/Universal all the way. Much cleaner interface, easier to focus on taking notes. Plus the way that the UI presents the organization options just resonates with me more than the desktop version.

The desktop version has many more features that I use. Password protected worksheets don't open on metro...

Steven Penner

May 29, 2014
Visit site
The desktop version has many more features that I use. Password protected worksheets don't open on metro...

That's what makes the two different options so nice, we can each select which we prefer. With background syncing, we can even choose which UI to use in various use cases.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been using metro but have recently been experimenting with desktop. The former does seem smoother but the latter has more features.

On a side note... My wife saw me writing notes in church during the sermon and was like hey I think I may want one of those. Got another convert!

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I use both. Metro version primarily on my SP3 and the desktop version on my desktop system. Like kittengirl says, the Metro version is slightly better at the note taking side on the SP3, and since I can sync OneNote across devices, I can open any notes I took on my desktop and do some more powerful editing on them if need be. I use OneNote for multiple purposes (i.e. grocery list, note taking, journal, and my daughter's school work), I find that kind of work flow is what works best for me. The metro and desktop versions were designed to compliment each other rather than compete against each other.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
After consulting with my husband, I may switch to Metro. I'm trying to convert over to using OneNote for meeting notes at work. After taking the notes on my Surface, I'll be archiving them on my work computer. He has informed me that Metro notebooks can be opened in the Desktop program, and conversion to text done at that time. I feel like the Metro version gives a slightly better note taking experience, so this may be the workflow I use, since I'll be transferring the notes anyway. I'll have to test out both and see what I like best. FYI, my husband is a SDET for OneNote at Microsoft, so he's a pretty reliable resource if you have additional questions.

This is exactly how I use it - I prefer the "Metro" version, its usability is better in my opinion - If I need more options, to convert, transfer, move things around, etc - I just open the desktop app, and it syncs up almost instantaneously. If the Desktop version had the quick access button that the "metro" version had I would probably use that. Maybe the new Office for Windows 10 will have it.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I'll use either version that allows me to save as and pick the folder or change the folder a note is saved in. It would also be a great help to be able to attach a note to a meeting and allow others to edit.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Desktop. In general, metro apps really doesn't do anything for me. I need full functionality.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb