Pen is lagging?

TywinnLannister

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone experience the lag when using the pen? Even when I hover the pen over the screen, the pointer is slightly lagging behind.

Thoughts on how to solve this?

bpmurr

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Have you done all the Windows Updates and Firmware update? There is also an updated driver from N-Trig. Mine seems to respond well. (i5/8GB/256GB model)

jbaylon

May 22, 2014
Visit site
yeah. Don't have an SP3 but I'm surprised a few people have posted about pen lag issues. It seemed like the online reviews said the pen worked beautifully, lagless (ish), and accurate. Surprised/disappointed if these are lingering issues....

Atomic Walrus

May 24, 2014
Visit site
This is n-trig "hover lag," a well known issue with n-trig in comparison to Wacom (the others are a "wobble" in the line when you draw/write slowly and a higher initial activation force).

Once you actually touch the pen to the screen and reach the required initial activation force (in other words when you're making a mark on the screen) that latency disappears. In fact Anandtech's tests showed that the n-trig implementation was slightly less laggy then the SP1/2 Wacom digitizer: AnandTech | Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Review (near the bottom on that page).

If you have lag issues while actually writing or drawing then you're either expecting too much (all these inputs, even the super-expensive Cintiqs have some lag) or the problem is on the software end, but I can't address that without more info.

TywinnLannister

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation.
Maybe it's just seeing it wobbles, kinda turns me off so it might feel that there was a latency when there was not. I will play around again soon and we'll see

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm really interested to hear what happens with this issue too. With all the R&D effort Microsoft claims to have put into reducing lag and increasing accuracy, and for them to actively push that feature in their release presentation, I struggle to comprehend how it could then be bad enough that I've heard people claiming 'note taking is unusable because of lag'.

I'm hoping it's 'just' hover lag and the initial activation force that people are noticing and I'll be able to get used to it (SP3 on order) but if it's actually an issue then I'll be hugely disappointed.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I have been able to write very well. The hover lag is visible. But when using a pen a user should focus on the tip of the pen not the cursor in my opinion. Anyway. I have also tried drawing wildly fast in one note. The lag is visible that way. But when writing I do not notice any lag. Guess it depends on how fast you're writing also. Overall i'm still impressed with what they have done with the pen. If you haven't tried the pen go play around with it at the closet store for awhile. Should give you an idea if it will work for you.

Hope this was helpful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes