Audio popping with headphones when switching audio-enabled apps

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone else have audio popping when you start/stop audio after swtiching audio apps and using headphones? Pretty much happens every time for me...

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
As an update, it seems like this is only happening with one set of noise-cancelling headphones. I tried another (non-cancelling) pair, and I'm not having this issue.

So, I'm going to write this one off to the headphones unless it happens again with a different pair. If it does, I'll report back.

Update: Actually, just got some popping with another set of headphones.

Is no one else experiencing this? If so, then I might have a bad unit. Darnitall. First my keyboard doesn't seem right to me, now this. And I just love this machine...

Last edited:

poots1101

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
i've heard some popping too. i've used a 2.1 speakerset from logitech, and a razer headset. i think i hear the popping more frequently with the logitech speakers, but then again i don't use the headset very often.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
i've heard some popping too. i've used a 2.1 speakerset from logitech, and a razer headset. i think i hear the popping more frequently with the logitech speakers, but then again i don't use the headset very often.

Thanks for the info. I think I've decided that either people haven't noticed the popping, or it's only happening on a few units. So, I'm going to go ahead and swap out my SP3 while I'm still within the 30 days. Would rather be safe than sorry (albeit, understanding that one can always get a machine with worse problems when swapping out).

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
As an update, I swapped out my SP3 yesterday for a new unit, and I'm not experiencing the audio popping with this one. So, I'm inclined to believe that there might very well be an issue with audio on some units. I'll report back if the popping starts again, but so far so good.

poots1101

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
thanks for replying. maybe i'll have to go return my unit this weekend as well. did you get yours via MS store or Best buy?

acsn

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I am hearing the pop too. Did not even try the headphone jack until today. I plugged in an old pair of Grado SR60. I am going to exchange mine soon.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Well, I had to swap out my second unit because its fan started failing--high-pitched whine at lower RPMs, sounded like the bearings were going out. Unfortunately, the replacement has the audio popping, which is a HUGE disappointment. Now I'm wondering exactly how many units have it, and will be addressing Microsoft corporate about it. Otherwise this new unit seems good, I don't really want to swap it out if my chances (by my own very limited sample) are 66% that I'll get another unit with audio popping and who knows what other problems.

My, but why can't these manufacturers ever put out a machine without issues? I know it's part of being on the bleeding edge, and everyone is guilty (I went though four iPad 3's before getting a good one), but still, it's frustrating.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I've spent a little time troubleshooting this audio popping, and it seems like there's some kind of short in the audio jack. It's apparent when you plug headphones in and out, and particularly as the headphone plug stereo contacts move back and forth. This tells me that the problem is likely a hardware one (I was hoping it was something in the audio drivers, but of course that doesn't make as much sense if only some units have the problem), and this did not happen on my second unit.

I'm going to go back this morning and swap for my fourth unit. The Microsoft Store guys are going to hate me for sure, but I do love this machine. I just can't afford to spend $1300 on a machine that has such an issue.

Has anyone else swapped out their SP3 because of the audio popping and got a unit without it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs