Did anyone else get disappointed by Best Buy?

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
A colleague went back to the States for vacation (he's now working in Australia), but knowing he was going to be 'home' when the Surface Pro 3 releases he pre-ordered one (and another for me), from Best Buy a few days after these were announced and became available for pre-order.

He waited and waited to hear when the SP3's were going to be delivered - but then when he called he found out they do not have them and needed to wait till the beginning of July to get them! Just before release it was known that anyone pre-ordering 'from this date on' would miss out on the initial rollout and would need to wait till July. He pre-ordered the SP3's much earlier than that.

So has anyone else 'pre-ordered' from Best Buy only to be told they don't have the stock and you need to wait? I can only deduce that the Best Buy store he pre-ordered from didn't place their order till much later and then missed out. Then to top it off he had one hell of a nightmare trying to cancel the order for the two SP3 as he won't be in the States in July - he comes back to Australia next week.

We are two very disappointed wannabe Surface Pro 3 owners!
Thanks Best Buy! NOT.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm disappointed that they took the dark blue keyboard.
I took the lovely red keyboard, but the dark blue is really nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I did preorder at the local bestbuy as well but change the preorder to in store pickup when I called and they said it wouldn't come. They had mine in store luckily. Very much not impressed at all.

thelern

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I too had problems with best buy online and ordered the morning after release. They said I had to wait till July to get mine too. I switched it to in store pick up and they had it in stock at my best buy. I am shocked on how bad best buy screwed up the online orders that were being shipped out since that was the only way you could place the preorder online.

Anidexlu Maga

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
A colleague went back to the States for vacation (he's now working in Australia), but knowing he was going to be 'home' when the Surface Pro 3 releases he pre-ordered one (and another for me), from Best Buy a few days after these were announced and became available for pre-order.

He waited and waited to hear when the SP3's were going to be delivered - but then when he called he found out they do not have them and needed to wait till the beginning of July to get them! Just before release it was known that anyone pre-ordering 'from this date on' would miss out on the initial rollout and would need to wait till July. He pre-ordered the SP3's much earlier than that.

So has anyone else 'pre-ordered' from Best Buy only to be told they don't have the stock and you need to wait? I can only deduce that the Best Buy store he pre-ordered from didn't place their order till much later and then missed out. Then to top it off he had one hell of a nightmare trying to cancel the order for the two SP3 as he won't be in the States in July - he comes back to Australia next week.

We are two very disappointed wannabe Surface Pro 3 owners!
Thanks Best Buy! NOT.

The exact same thing happened to me. I called multiple times since Thursday until Tuesday. For the first 3 days they told me it would arrive on Monday. I didn't believe them because I didn't have the shipping information. On Sunday, they told me it would arrive in July, but by that time I wouldn't be in the US. They told me they couldn't cancel the order.

I contacted them by phone, twitter, forums, email, and even went to the nearest store. They all said the same, that my order was in some kind of black hole and they couldn't cancel my order but didn't know when I would ship.

On Monday, I went back to the store and the manager told me it was finally advancing on the shipping process and it would arrive by Thursday.
That night I got the tracking code. An hour ago it arrived! Now it's charging beside me.

I really don't know why but yesterday morning I also got a BestBuy coupon for 25usd. I don't know if that's something they randomly send or it is a compensation for all the stress they put me through.

So... I was disappointed by they service but I insisted and I guess someone had mercy on me and accelerated the process.

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Wow I didn't really think there would be so many people having similar circumstances!
For Shame BestBuy... for shame.

He Skyped me earlier and told me some good news... My colleague flew out from San Antonio to come back to Australia. After the crap that BestBuy put him through, he called a Microsoft Store close by. They had one available but wouldn't put it on hold over the phone even if he'd pay by creditcard over the phone. This morning he got into San Antonio earlier, went directly into the Microsoft Store, put the CCard on the counter and said I want two. He got them!

As I type this he's flying back with his, and mine in the luggage. I will get my mitts on mine Monday! I'll let you know if it was worth the effort in getting a Surface Pro 3 asap from the States. I loved my Surface Pro (my daughter has that one and loves it herself), and love my Surface Pro 2. First thing my colleague said to me was the resolution is awesome! The screen is beautiful.

Thanks to the Microsoft Store -- I'll be able to find out first hand myself soon.
Thanks to everyone here and allowing me to vent my frustrations about Best Buy. I'm glad those here have been able to get their hands on a SP3 by changing their order to a pickup. If a representative from Best Buy stumbles upon this thread - Tell your bosses TO LIFT THEIR GAME.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I actually went to best buy to try out the dark blue. It looks too depressing of a blue. I'm keeping the red.

nrnw

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
from my experiences over the past 9 months, i'd say it is BB (bye-bye) for BB (BestBuy); got the Type Cover 2 from them: defective touchpad, never replaced. Microsoft Store is absolutely where I will continue to go (got SP2 on pre-order, got SP3 on pre-order, Type Cover 3, Asus Zenbook) and while there were a couple of instances where the Online Microsoft Store messed up - the bottomline is that they more than made up for it eventually - for me, they have surpassed everyone else, including Apple.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I actually went to best buy to try out the dark blue. It looks too depressing of a blue. I'm keeping the red.
The red is a nice color too! I think that the red, Best Buy blue, and purple are the nicest colors for the Surface. The Cyan and Magenta just seem to burn out my retinas. :shocked:

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit, I was surprised how much I liked the Best Buy blue when I saw it in person....but my company logo is red...my 1520 is red....the notebook I currently use is red....it will be great to replace my notebook with the SP3/red type cover and never have to carry my laptop to a meeting or business trip ever again.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit, I was surprised how much I liked the Best Buy blue when I saw it in person....but my company logo is red...my 1520 is red....the notebook I currently use is red....it will be great to replace my notebook with the SP3/red type cover and never have to carry my laptop to a meeting or business trip ever again.
do you work for either target or macys?

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I went into Best Buy to try out the SP3 (not quite ready for an upgrade, but I'm trying to talk myself into one). They had the most faulty security cable on it. Just typing on the keyboard set off the alarm, as did anything else I tried, no matter how careful I was. I set it off no less then four times and the guy kept waking away, no matter how clear I tried to make it that he might want to stick around. He did eventually win, though. I just couldn't actually _do_ anything with the alarm going off. Very frustrating.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I went into Best Buy to try out the SP3 (not quite ready for an upgrade, but I'm trying to talk myself into one). They had the most faulty security cable on it. Just typing on the keyboard set off the alarm, as did anything else I tried, no matter how careful I was. I set it off no less then four times and the guy kept waking away, no matter how clear I tried to make it that he might want to stick around. He did eventually win, though. I just couldn't actually _do_ anything with the alarm going off. Very frustrating.

...and they have it across the type cover right where the magnet attaches...

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I preordered my SP3 from the Microsoft Store. But, I went in on the 20th to Best Buy and grabbed the Indigo Type Cover. Digging it thus far. Normally, I don't buy anything from Best Buy. But, I wanted that cover.

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I did a in store preorder for the sp3 and black keyboard. Took them forever to figure out how to do it. Apparently the pre order option was hidden somewhere in their system.

Either way, got an email the day before release saying it would be ready on the 20th. So I just picked it up. The keyboard didn't get there until later that evening, but I had already stopped by another nearby best buy that had one in Stock.

They all also still had a couple SP3s in stock even a few days later.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Well - I have my SP3 now for a couple weeks. My colleague grabbed the Cyan keyboard for me - I kinda dig it!
I REALLY am impressed with the SP3!! What a beauty. (MS just rolled out a number of fixes for it esp the WiFi dropouts - that was annoying).
The size is magic to use. I loved my SP2, but the size, although it was good definition was a bit hard to use for me even with glasses on. The SP3 Awesome! I couldn't be happier. Match it with my Arc mouse and it's a hard device to beat.

If you're on the fence for buying one of these things, don't be. It looks like when they become available in Australia we will be buying a couple dozen for our staff. We currently buy the Lenovo Carbon X1's but the specs don't compare to the SP3 and is more costly than the SP3 (even factoring in the added keyboard). Plus Surface has what looks like a solid docking station solution which I'm hanging out to try.

IMHO Microsoft has finally crafted an allround winner and should see their tablet market explode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes