One of the main reasons I bought the larger i5 version was that I wanted to be able to run a VM. While I am sure MS will eventually sort this out, is there anything that works at the current moment?

Thanks in advance.
    06-25-2014 05:34 PM
    What do you mean, "what works at the moment"? Be more specific.

Do you mean VMWare Player, VirtualBox, what?

Have you downloaded and tried anything yet?
    06-25-2014 09:14 PM
    What do you mean, "what works at the moment"? Be more specific.

Do you mean VMWare Player, VirtualBox, what?

Have you downloaded and tried anything yet?
    When I say "at the current moment" I mean with the device OS the way it is. Hyper V does not play well with connected stand by. Do one of the others like VMWare or Virtual Box interact with connected standby properly.
    06-26-2014 10:09 AM
    Do you mean to let the SP3 sleep while keeping the VMs powered on?
    06-26-2014 10:17 AM
    Do you mean to let the SP3 sleep while keeping the VMs powered on?
    No, when the SP3 sleeps the VMs suspend. Kind of like what happens with Hyper V when you use the normal sleep.
    06-26-2014 01:40 PM
    At this point in time? No.
    The second Hyper-V gets enabled, the Connected Standby is immediately flagged as incompatible. One of the workarounds for this that I saw was to create a new boot menu entry (1 for Hyper-V enabled and 1 for Hyper-V disabled), but this has the obvious downside to requiring a reboot for whatever you're looking at doing. You can also just create a bat/cmd file that uses BCDEdit to toggle Hyper-V, but this also requires a reboot every time you want to change it. I've just decided to disable Hyper-V for the time being, the only thing I use Hyper-V with for now is for WP Development and I've just decided to start deploying to my devices until I come up with some other test cases I'll need the emulator for

http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devic...nected-standby
    Switch easily between VirtualBox and Hyper-V with a BCDEdit boot Entry in Windows 8.1 - Scott Hanselman
    mister2d likes this.
    06-26-2014 01:47 PM
    I have VMWare Workstation and VMware Player installed. With VM running, I can close the type cover and it goes to sleep. When I do "powercfg /a", sleep state "Standby (Connected)" is available. Anything you would like me to test?

[Edit] Some clarification, VM was running with VMware Workstation when I described the above.
    BaritoneGuy likes this.
    06-26-2014 02:06 PM
    I have VMWare Workstation and VMware Player installed. With VM running, I can close the type cover and it goes to sleep. When I do "powercfg /a", sleep state "Standby (Connected)" is available. Anything you would like me to test?

[Edit] Some clarification, VM was running with VMware Workstation when I described the above.
    This would appear to provide the answer. Thanks very much
    06-26-2014 03:04 PM
    I use VirtualBox, and connected standby is still available. But when I run sleepstudy, the VirtualBox network adapters are flagged as keeping my computer awake and draining my battery.
    06-26-2014 04:41 PM
    I use VirtualBox, and connected standby is still available. But when I run sleepstudy, the VirtualBox network adapters are flagged as keeping my computer awake and draining my battery.
    Are any other network adapters "awake".
    06-26-2014 05:29 PM
    Any software type 2 based hypervisor (even if it is hardware accelerated) should be somewhat compatible with Connected Standby, VMware Workstation and VirtualBox are both Type 2, it is when you use Type 1 Hypervisors that Connected Standby is disabled, this is because a Type 1 Hypervisor become base system and at least with Hyper-V the Windows Installation now resides above the Hypervisor (It is the Master Client).
    06-26-2014 06:25 PM
    Are any other network adapters "awake".
    Yeah, the Marvell one, but that fluctuates from 10% to 90%, depending on what it's doing. The VirtualBox network adapters are always active.
    06-26-2014 08:08 PM
    Yeah, the Marvell one, but that fluctuates from 10% to 90%, depending on what it's doing. The VirtualBox network adapters are always active.
    Maybe the VirtualBox adapter has a "Power Management" tab like other network devices. Check your Device Manager properties on the adapter for something like this.

screenshot.png
    06-26-2014 09:46 PM
    Any software type 2 based hypervisor (even if it is hardware accelerated) should be somewhat compatible with Connected Standby, VMware Workstation and VirtualBox are both Type 2, it is when you use Type 1 Hypervisors that Connected Standby is disabled, this is because a Type 1 Hypervisor become base system and at least with Hyper-V the Windows Installation now resides above the Hypervisor (It is the Master Client).
    I would even be happy with losing connected standby if the normal sleep routines would be there like on my other laptop, but MS has disabled them in the bios. From the other posts it looks like virtual box is also having issues and is keeping the network adapter alive even though it doesn't disable connected standby.

Wonder if VMWare is any better? If anyone who has VMWare on the SP3 could do a sleep study and post the results that would be great.
    06-28-2014 06:18 PM