Stylus and OneNote

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Over the past week, I've put down the pen and paper and picked up the stylus/OneNote combo at work. This was a big transition. While I previously use OneNote and a keyboard when I'm taking notes at my desk, I stuck with the traditional pen and pad for notes during meetings, etc. Not this week. I went all-in with the stylus and OneNote on the SP3. Here's my experience after one week for those who wonder whether it's useful, just a novelty, or what.

The first couple days were a bit of a struggle for one simple reason: My handwriting was awful. My handwriting is not great to begin with, but it was twelve times worse on the SP3. It was clear right up front that the reason is that the display is much slicker than paper, so you don't get the "drag" of the pen. It's not a bad thing, but it's different, and it changes the way the pen moves. After a couple days, I got used to it, and my handwriting was back to its normal level of mediocrity.

Once my penmanship adjusted, the only issue I had at all is that I have to press a tiny bit harder than is natural because very light pressure sometimes doesn't register. Many others have noted the issue, so I won't belabor it. After a week of use, I will say that I have adjusted, and it's not enough of an issue to affect my willingness to use it, but it's a minor annoyance.

WITH THOSE NITS OUT OF THE WAY . . . I officially declare this method of note-taking to be "awesome." I've seen some of the Apple fanboys write off the stylus as a novelty, and I can definitively say that their conclusion is nothing more than wishful thinking by people who don't have a stylus. I don't have anything new to say, but here's the list of things that I have really become significant after a week of use:

1) Organization. At any given time, I have a few dozen legal pads in my office full of notes. And occasionally I find some in my trunk, in my home office, in my wife's car, etc. I periodically have to go through them, dismantle them, sort them by client, and put the pages in their relevant files. It takes hours. And if I want to find notes from a meeting three weeks ago, it's a huge hassle because they're probably in the middle of some legal pad in my office (or my trunk) because I haven't organized them yet. With OneNote, it's pretty simple: When I'm done with the meeting, I drag-and-drop the page to the relevant tab of the relevant notebook in OneNote on my OneDrive. I then click the "share" button to send the notes to my secretary in an e-mail, and now I have my notes organized in the cloud and in my paper file. Very slick.

2). Having notes for later. Sometimes I'm taking some notes at work, and then when I'm at home, I need to add to them. If I was typing my notes, I can access them remotely. But if I was writing by hand, my legal pad is probably still at work. OneNote fixes that.

3). The form factor is perfect. There's a reason 8-1/2 x 11 paper is the norm. It feels right. The SP3 feels right when you grab it to write on with the stylus. The SP2 didn't have the right size/shape/weight to work well as a pad-of-paper replacement. The SP3 gets it just right.

4). Being able to click into OneNote. Clicking the back of the stylus to get into OneNote is genius. It seems like a clever trick, but once you get used to it, you can't imagine taking notes any other way.

5). Sharing notes. In a lot of situations, it's helpful to be able to share my handwritten notes after a meeting. For example, if I've given out assignments and set due dates, or come up with a list of tasks, or maybe diagrammed something, it's nice to circulate a copy of those things after the meeting so everyone is on the same page. Historically, I would accomplish that by asking someone in the meeting to type up the task list and circulate it in an e-mail or something like that. Sometimes things get mixed up in the process, or the person just doesn't get around to sending the e-mail. With the SP3, when the meeting is ending, I can circulate a copy of my notes by e-mail before I leave the meeting. Very handy.

I could go on and on, but writing these things up doesn't do them justice. If you are a note-taker, you really needed to try locking your pens/tablets in a drawer for a week and commit to spend the week using the SP3 and stylus. It's awesome.

I have a pretty nice collection of spendy pens at the office, but they're not going to get much use. For me, this revolutionizes note-taking.

Peter England

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I'd say you have summed up electronic note taking perfectly. I started taking all my notes in Evernote over a year ago and haven't looked back.

They arev so easy to search and find. I've now migrated then all to Onenote in preparation for the UK release of the Pro 3. Plus, I actually prefer Onenote now it has matured sufficiently.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
With OneNote, it's pretty simple: When I'm done with the meeting, I drag-and-drop the page to the relevant tab of the relevant notebook in OneNote on my OneDrive. I then click the "share" button to send the notes to my secretary in an e-mail, and now I have my notes organized in the cloud and in my paper file. Very slick.
OneNote is how business computing should be. I live in it.
You can probably save yourself a couple of drags/clicks too, if you use Outlook 2013 (possibly earlier ones too).
Before the meeting, right-click the Appointment in Outlook and select Meeting Notes. You'll get some nice options to prepare note page for the meeting, share it, look up the notes later from Outlook, look up the Appointment from OneNote etc. And if you create the OneNote page for your meeting in the Desktop application, it could take on a page template you've already defined.
Seriously, now when I see anyone taking meeting notes on a notepad and then transcribing/emailing them later I want to hit them.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
anyone know how to smoothen up onenote's writing? lines aren't as smooth as it is on other apps like Note Anytime.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
OneNote is how business computing should be. I live in it.
You can probably save yourself a couple of drags/clicks too, if you use Outlook 2013 (possibly earlier ones too).
Before the meeting, right-click the Appointment in Outlook and select Meeting Notes. You'll get some nice options to prepare note page for the meeting, share it, look up the notes later from Outlook, look up the Appointment from OneNote etc. And if you create the OneNote page for your meeting in the Desktop application, it could take on a page template you've already defined.
Seriously, now when I see anyone taking meeting notes on a notepad and then transcribing/emailing them later I want to hit them.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it for my meetings tomorrow.

ajaffarali

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
When I press the button on top of the stylus, OneNote launched but in a locked mode- any way to just get into it without the lock screen? Also, is there a way to show lined paper background instead of a plain white background? This will help me write straighter :)

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
When I press the button on top of the stylus, OneNote launched but in a locked mode- any way to just get into it without the lock screen? Also, is there a way to show lined paper background instead of a plain white background? This will help me write straighter :)
I don't know about the lock screen. however, in the Modern App version of OneNote, swipe up from the bottom of the screen, and you'll see an option called "paper." Click that and select ruled lines.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I wish the SP3 had come out four years ago when I was working on my bachelor's and then Master's degree. I used OneNote extensively in the last year of my bachelor's and all throughout my Master's studies and the SP3 would have made it easier.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I wish the SP3 had come out four years ago when I was working on my bachelor's and then Master's degree. I used OneNote extensively in the last year of my bachelor's and all throughout my Master's studies and the SP3 would have made it easier.

I can relate, even though I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I graduated from law school 21 years ago, and for over two decades of private practice, I have been taking notes on legal pads. I occasionally tried to move note-taking, etc. onto my laptop, but the technology hasn't been adequate to make it work. So legal pads have been the norm. Using the SP3 has completely changed that. I can only imagine how much more organized I would have been over the past two decades had this technology been available.

Tonight I also used the SP3 to do something else that is new to me. When my associates give me drafts of letters, motions, etc., I prefer to edit with a pen on a hard copy. Using Word's "comments" feature is simply not a substitute. While it's functional, my mind doesn't process it the same way as a pen and paper. Unfortunately, the pen-and-paper method is effective only when I'm in the office; otherwise, it becomes a logistical hassle to scan my edited copy. But today I imported a draft letter into OneNote and used the stylus to edit and comment, then e-mailed the OneNote page to the associate. Wow. Incredibly slick. It has the added advantage of the fact that I can edit in several colors easily, and I can erase and modify my edits. Also, I have a copy of the edited document in OneNote, so when I get the next draft, I still have my comments, and so does the associate.

This is a total game-changer for me.

It is also one of the reasons I've been so frustrated by many of the reviews, which have largely written off the stylus as a gimmick. Perhaps if your job title is "professional blogger," then sure, you don't need the stylus. As a blogger, you don't do any serious editing of your documents, so you never use pen-and-paper for editing, and editing the document in Word or its equivalent works just fine. Also, as a blogger, you don't have daily business meetings in which you have to make a good impression on clients, etc., and so you are unaware that taking notes on a laptop during a meeting creates a barrier between you and the other attendees and gives the impression that you are disengaged. So maybe you don't see the need for pen-and-paper in that setting either. And if, as a blogger, you don't see the need for pen-and-paper in your job, then I can understand why you would see the stylus as a mere gimmick. But for real professionals who do real work, many of us have had to rely on pen and paper for decades because laptops simply don't work in many settings and for many functions. Coming from that perspective, it's frustrating to see bloggers knocking valuable technology because they don't understand what professionals do well enough to see that value.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
It is also one of the reasons I've been so frustrated by many of the reviews, which have largely written off the stylus as a gimmick.

This was something that stood out for me in Mary Jo Foley's review, she listed 4 scenarios a regular person needs to type in an awkward position (and therefore needs a proper laptop keyboard) but for me at least 2 of those were places the stylus would work much better than a keyboard (one was notes during a meeting like you said).

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could use my SP3 at work, but I work in a bank, and at least in my division, there is no BYOD except for the Good app (in which we are even blocked from opening attachments). But I have had the chance to use it for a bit of homework. Working on my BS in CompSci, I'm taking College Algebra this term. My classes are all online, and you know what a pain it can be to type mathematical formulae when limited to the keyboard. So I'm doing my assignments in OneNote, exporting to PDF, and submitting the PDF.

Like the OP, my handwriting isn't good on the screen, and I agree with it being due to the slickness of the screen. I'm still waiting for the right screen protector to come out, as I don't like not having one, and I don't like glossy screens. I had a matte screen protector from Incipio on my SP2, and I'm hoping they come out with one for the SP3 soon. That will make a difference in how the pen feels on-screen, as well.

Stump3r

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
This is why I'm ditching my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 and migrating to the SP3. I'm in technical sales and spend all day everyday taking notes, marking up technical documents and currently have to convert notes into pdf then send them over to one note. I use one note for everything from personal todo lists to all my call reports, customer profiles, and even do all my strategic planning in one note as it's such an easy integration into outlook and the rest of the microsoft office suite. I just wish work would pay for our tablets as we have huge BYOD support.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could use my SP3 at work, but I work in a bank, and at least in my division, there is no BYOD except for the Good app (in which we are even blocked from opening attachments).

I also work in a Bank and have similar restrictions, but I'm using my SP3 for notetaking that I would typically be taking on paper pads, and keeping all the notes organized in OneNote. If I do feel the need to get these notes onto the network, there is nothing keeping me from doing so by sending to my work email address or transfering via thumbdrive - for instance if I need to share minutes from a meeting. Most of time though, they are simply my own notes - just trying to be more organized and kill less trees.

Last edited:

mane3215

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
One thing I recently discovered that I LOVE is Office Lens. I can take photos of signs, letters, business cards, etc. It will shoot it straight to One Note and mark it up as needed. My guys will take notes from a walk around with a client, I can take a photo of those notes (with office lens that squares it up and crops it) that are scribbled on paper and market them up as I see fit and always have them in the section of that property in my notebook.

I love the SP3

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Today while waiting for her annual physical, my 7yo daughter was practicing writing in cursive on my SP3. She thinks is cool to be able to practice her handwriting that way.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
One thing I recently discovered that I LOVE is Office Lens. I can take photos of signs, letters, business cards, etc. It will shoot it straight to One Note and mark it up as needed. My guys will take notes from a walk around with a client, I can take a photo of those notes (with office lens that squares it up and crops it) that are scribbled on paper and market them up as I see fit and always have them in the section of that property in my notebook.

I love the SP3

Amen. I also like CamScanner too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99