Surface Pro 3 will not power on after shutdown

rmstern53

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
After powering down my Surface Pro 3, it will not turn on by pressing the power button. I have the latest firmware that came out in July installed. The only way for me to get it to power back on is by disconnecting the type cover and holding the power and volume up buttons for 12 seconds. Any one else seeing this? According to the attached link by Paul Thurrott, this was a known problem earlier and was supposed to be fixed: http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/surface-pro-3-when-bad-things-happen-good-tablet

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
ive had that issue on Surf2. hold the power button longer maybe? low battery maybe? Those are my guesses.

rmstern53

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, the battery is fully charged and this happens even with a full battery and connected to the AC. I've been holding the power button for at least 10 seconds.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, the battery is fully charged and this happens even with a full battery and connected to the AC. I've been holding the power button for at least 10 seconds.

get it replaced while the 30 day warranty is still there. u have until july 20. im sure microsoft store will look into it. had my surf2 replaced on the spot after software issue :)

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
According to the attached link by Paul Thurrott, this was a known problem earlier and was supposed to be fixed: http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/surface-pro-3-when-bad-things-happen-good-tablet

I just read that article for the first time. Paul says, and I quote:

Paul Thurrott said:
When you stop using Surface Pro 3, it drifts into three different power management modes over a period of time: Connected Standby, where it comes back awake instantly, then hibernation after four hours, in which it boots up like an Ultrabook, and then a deeper sleep mode.

That seems like such a weird thing to say, and at least two commenters were as flummoxed as me! Hibernation saves the contents of RAM to disk and powers off the system completely, so what's this strange new "deeper sleep mode" Paul mentions that comes after hibernation? Quite expectedly he didn't bother to reply to either commenter. I think half the time he has no idea what he's talking about, unless someone has a clue what he's referring to here?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05