SP3's On A Plane

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Sitting on a flight right now using my SP3 and realized a couple of things about the difference between an SP3 and a laptop while flying.

Using it with the type cover - With a typical tray that folds down from the back of the seat in front of you, there really is no difference... sorry, there isn't. The requirement of utilizing the kickstand does not actually hinder the use of the SP3 as the location of the top of the screen is never beyond the kickstand. Both the SP3 and a laptop are going to "push" their keyboards toward the user. Yes, a laptop keyboard may be slightly more stable, but I had no issues using my type cover and viewing the screen at a normal angle.

Where the laptop wins... if you have to use one of those tiny side access trays that pop out of the armrest because you are sitting in the bulkhead aisle, you may hit a limit of utilizing the kickstand properly as it has a chance of falling off the back edge.

Here is why I knew I would love the SP3 on my flight. Keyboard is detached and in my back, kickstand is back far enough to angle the unit at the perfect viewing/typing angle so I can use the onscreen keyboard. Then I can just adjust again slightly to watch a movie or whatever.

Took pics of these examples with my phone, but too lazy to connect the phone to the WiFi onboard. :winktongue: Will add them after I land.

jrohland

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
You could also use a small Bluetooth KB on your lap and leave the keycover in a bag. That would get you more flexibility which you don't have with an attached KB.

By the way, I used that exact KB with my SP3 yesterday (not on a plane though). It paired and worked beautifully.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Interesting... watching a woman right now a couple of rows up typing on a laptop. Much shorter than me and the hinge point of the laptop is halfway back on the tray. The laptop is wobbling and vibrating as she types since the keyboard section is hanging off the front edge of the tray table. I wonder if the lack of weight of the type cover actually gives the SP3 a slight advantage here? The weight of her wrists on the font edge of the laptop want to make it lean up on the back. I always used my iPad on the plane.... never my laptop... and its funny the things you notice when you suddenly are comparing experiences.

jonty12

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The downside on a regular tray for me is the kickstand taking up surface area. With my laptop I often tuck my drink (or the half used tin can) behind my laptop screen and use the space next to the laptop for something else. I can't do that with the kickstand.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

LCGrzy

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
You could also use a small Bluetooth KB on your lap and leave the keycover in a bag. That would get you more flexibility which you don't have with an attached KB.

By the way, I used that exact KB with my SP3 yesterday (not on a plane though). It paired and worked beautifully.

I had that BT Keyboard for a little while, but I found this one to be a lot nicer. The Track Point is far more useable and the keys are a bit bigger, and thus more user friendly. It is cheaper, and still very portable. I actually use it everyday at work in lieu of a full size keyboard.

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I usually flip my keyboard under, and let the kickstand rest on the felt side of the keyboard. Takes up less room when I don't have to do a lot of typing, and the on screen keyboard is good enough for what I'm doing at the time. When the time comes where I need to utilize the trackpad or keyboard shortcuts, I flip the keyboard back around.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The downside on a regular tray for me is the kickstand taking up surface area. With my laptop I often tuck my drink (or the half used tin can) behind my laptop screen and use the space next to the laptop for something else. I can't do that with the kickstand.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

My drink is next to my unit right now... on a 777....coach...typical tray.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Sitting on a flight right now using my SP3 and realized a couple of things about the difference between an SP3 and a laptop while flying.
Here's another difference: without the keyboard, the Surface weighs less than 2 lbs, allowing you to use it during taxi, takeoff, and landing -- something a laptop cannot offer.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I think the tablet rule has more to do with the solid state construction....not big enough or can't open it to pack it with explosives/detonation device.

jonty12

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think the tablet rule has more to do with the solid state construction....not big enough or can't open it to pack it with explosives/detonation device.

Actually Delta and American now specifically say 2 lbs during their announcement. It's part of the reason I chose the SP3 over an Ultrabook. If I could have found one under 2 lbs, I may have gone with it. I think they've done some pseudo-engineering analysis on the weight the pockets can safely hold and or the damage a projectile may cause.

From Delta's website: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ng-your-trip/personal-electronic-devices.html
* DVD players, laptop computers and other devices that exceed the size/weight restrictions must be stowed for taxi, takeoff and landing.

PED use on the ground and during takeoff and landing should be limited to small, lightweight devices less than 2 lbs. These devices should be of a size that could easily be secured in a seat pocket without exceeding the designed weight capacity of 3 lbs. including all contents of seat pocket (safety card, Sky magazine, airsickness bag) and not impede emergency egress to the aisle.

FiledIMAGE

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
This is a very appropriate article for me. I just bought a Pro 3 and brought it back with me to Australia. It was amazing. I was sitting next to an Apple nerd who had an Air and Im confident I had the better experience. Folding the keyboard under and uing the Surface mouse was awesome. Room for a drink too. I used Lightroom extensively and had no issues even with seat in front of me pushed right back. You can just move kick stand back and get a new angle. The laptop was just too big and got crunched by the seat in front. Battery life was good too.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Advantage laptop... happy to be in first class, but these fold out trays suck for even the most stable small laptops. My fear here with the type cover is that I might push the sp3 over the back edge. But with the kickstand and onscreen keyboard, it is perfect to get work done.

WP_20140715_07_03_23_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Advantage laptop... happy to be in first class, but these fold out trays suck for even the most stable small laptops. My fear here with the type cover is that I might push the sp3 over the back edge. But with the kickstand and onscreen keyboard, it is perfect to get work done.

View attachment 72085

Nice! So you have tested the SP3 out in both coach and 1st Class - good to know, though I usually only get to fly in coach...:unhappy:

What about the rest of the trip? How did the SP3 work? Any advantages/ disadvantages? etc.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Nice! So you have tested the SP3 out in both coach and 1st Class - good to know, though I usually only get to fly in coach...:unhappy:

What about the rest of the trip? How did the SP3 work? Any advantages/ disadvantages? etc.

I love it... I'm actually very happy typing on the screen, especially with the larger screen size and the kickstand positions it at a great angle to see.

Last edited:

Marcellus1

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I just took my SP3 on a plane this past week, and it worked out great. The tray was not quite as large as the tray in the images above (it was on Alaska Airlines), but it still fit and worked well with or without the keyboard. Stewardesses didn't say anything about stowing it, because it's considered a tablet. Going through security, I got the pre-check line on the way out so they don't pull out any devices, but on the way back I didn't take it out of the bag since I'm not supposed to have to, but they pulled it out to check it anyway. They said SP3's don't need to be checked, but they aren't used to seeing the larger size yet so they weren't sure what they were seeing in the scanner. Hopefully this will change with time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon