Camera Quality - Capturing/Penning on Documents

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Part of my use case for the SP3 was to be able to take pictures of spreadsheets/documents that I'm working with and then be able to pen/annotate, all on the fly while in a meeting, whether internal or external/clients. Today was the first time I tried taking a picture of a spreadsheet and the results were awful. My lighting is typical for an office, and in this case the text was blurry no matter what the distance - whether a couple of inches and just a small section of the paper or capturing an entire 8.5x11 page from further back. I almost can't believe it's that bad. Can anybody opine on how theirs is doing? Trying to avoid a second trip to the MS Store, so please advise and/or post pictures of your experiences trying to capture documents.

Thanks!

P.S. Yes - I did wipe down the lens!

karinto

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
The Surfaces have a fixed focal length lenses on both the front and the back. The front camera is set as a web cam and can get a reasonably sharp focus at 1ft-3ft(?) or so. The back camera is set at a longer distance for recording a meeting, white board, or other people and things at some distance.

So for those that want to take pictures of documents, the Surface probably isn't the camera/scanner you want. I usually just use my phone to take pictures of documents/receipts and have OneDrive sync them over.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb