Rough Patch on Screen?

luke31

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone! I'm afraid that my first post has to be on the gloomy side, but I just want people to be aware of a potential defect with the SP3. I bought mine last Saturday, less than a week ago. While cleaning the display last night in order to apply a screen protector that just got delivered from Amazon, I noticed something very odd with the screen. I used safe, non-abrasive display wipes to clean the screen, and I noticed the moisture from the wipes "pooling" at a spot towards the bottom-center of the display. Thinking it was just some smudge on the surface, I tried to wipe it away using a moist microfiber cloth. Nothing happened. I ran my fingernail across the screen and felt something along the lines of a "rough patch" there. It kind of looked like someone spat on the screen. When I wiped the moisture away, the patch was near invisible to the naked eye. I don't know if it was some screen or glass deformity, or whether it was some adhesive. I have a Folio case that slightly covers the vents, so perhaps it was excess heat that morphed something underneath the screen? The problem is, I can't tell whether it formed over time or whether it was there from the date of purchase. Another way to expose the blemish was to blow on the screen as if you wanted to clean it. That exposed the spot. It seems like any kind of moisture, whether it be from blowing on it or cleaning it with a wet wipe, exposed the blemish or deformity. I went right to Best Buy and exchanged for a brand new one, as I was still under the return period. So far, the new one is fine. I really hope this won't be an issue that will form over time. One thing is for sure, I'm switching from folio case to sleeve, in the unlikely event that the splotch was caused by excess heat.

Did anyone else notice anything similar?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
One thing is for sure, I'm switching from folio case to sleeve, in the unlikely event that the splotch was caused by excess heat.
If it got hot enough to melt glass, don't you think it would have been hot enough to melt your (probably some kind of plastic) folio? Or when you put a screen protector on, don't you think it will melt the screen protector? No. If it got hot enough to melt the glass, you'd have had to call the fire department to put out a fire.

luke31

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
If it got hot enough to melt glass, don't you think it would have been hot enough to melt your (probably some kind of plastic) folio? Or when you put a screen protector on, don't you think it will melt the screen protector? No. If it got hot enough to melt the glass, you'd have had to call the fire department to put out a fire.

I understand that, but it's more than just glass, isn't it? It could have been some adhesive, or perhaps the oleophobic coating wearing off? I'm not a thermal physicist or anything, but I feel that I would have noticed such a blemish earlier, implying that it had to "form." Or maybe it was always there, and I just never noticed. And hence why "in the unlikely event" phrasing in my post. Of course I can't melt glass. But excess heat is never, ever a good thing.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone! I'm afraid that my first post has to be on the gloomy side, but I just want people to be aware of a potential defect with the SP3. I bought mine last Saturday, less than a week ago. While cleaning the display last night in order to apply a screen protector that just got delivered from Amazon, I noticed something very odd with the screen. I used safe, non-abrasive display wipes to clean the screen, and I noticed the moisture from the wipes "pooling" at a spot towards the bottom-center of the display. Thinking it was just some smudge on the surface, I tried to wipe it away using a moist microfiber cloth. Nothing happened. I ran my fingernail across the screen and felt something along the lines of a "rough patch" there. It kind of looked like someone spat on the screen. When I wiped the moisture away, the patch was near invisible to the naked eye. I don't know if it was some screen or glass deformity, or whether it was some adhesive. I have a Folio case that slightly covers the vents, so perhaps it was excess heat that morphed something underneath the screen? The problem is, I can't tell whether it formed over time or whether it was there from the date of purchase. Another way to expose the blemish was to blow on the screen as if you wanted to clean it. That exposed the spot. It seems like any kind of moisture, whether it be from blowing on it or cleaning it with a wet wipe, exposed the blemish or deformity. I went right to Best Buy and exchanged for a brand new one, as I was still under the return period. So far, the new one is fine. I really hope this won't be an issue that will form over time. One thing is for sure, I'm switching from folio case to sleeve, in the unlikely event that the splotch was caused by excess heat.

Did anyone else notice anything similar?

No offense intended but saying you want to make people aware of a potential defect is the equivalent of finding a scratch on a new car and then posting to all Toyota owners that there may be a defect in their cars. For a first post, you might try asking if others have experienced this before identifying "potential defects" in a product line. On a different (practical) note though, if you are choosing to use a folio that blocks the vents you will end up with a bigger problem than a mark on a screen. SP3 is a precisely engineered device that needs those vents to maintain internal temps in a very thin form factor. Can't help you with the marked screen other than to say I have never seen one with that problem but I will give the free advice to not block the perimeter vents. Like any Intel processor that requires maintenance of a temperature range for proper function, if you overheat it, components will malfunction and/or outright fail and once physical damage is done it cannot be undone....

luke31

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
No offense intended but saying you want to make people aware of a potential defect is the equivalent of finding a scratch on a new car and then posting to all Toyota owners that there may be a defect in their cars. For a first post, you might try asking if others have experienced this before identifying "potential defects" in a product line. On a different (practical) note though, if you are choosing to use a folio that blocks the vents you will end up with a bigger problem than a mark on a screen. SP3 is a precisely engineered device that needs those vents to maintain internal temps in a very thin form factor. Can't help you with the marked screen other than to say I have never seen one with that problem but I will give the free advice to not block the perimeter vents. Like any Intel processor that requires maintenance of a temperature range for proper function, if you overheat it, components will malfunction and/or outright fail and once physical damage is done it cannot be undone....

I apologize for the rough start, I didn't have the intent to bash a product or to create paranoia. I was just flustered after finding out about it yesterday. And when I researched the topic, this came up:

Something's on my screen and it won't come off | Microsoft Surface Forums

So at least three other people have had the problem. I was just sincerely curious about how widespread it is. Again, I apologize for the wrong choice of words.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No worries on your post. You spent a lot of money on a computer, and finding a flaw in the screen as you did is of course frustrating. There was nothing wrong with you posting, so don't worry about it.

No, I haven't heard of this particular defect before, but having spent several years in manufacturing, I can tell you that a certain percentage of every product, from every manufacturing facility in the world, goes out with defects. That is what warranties are for. There's nothing wrong with you being frustrated, and I'm glad Best Buy did you right and exchanged the PC for you. Hopefully you won't find anything wrong with this one!

Welcome to WPCentral!

luke31

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
No worries on your post. You spent a lot of money on a computer, and finding a flaw in the screen as you did is of course frustrating. There was nothing wrong with you posting, so don't worry about it.

No, I haven't heard of this particular defect before, but having spent several years in manufacturing, I can tell you that a certain percentage of every product, from every manufacturing facility in the world, goes out with defects. That is what warranties are for. There's nothing wrong with you being frustrated, and I'm glad Best Buy did you right and exchanged the PC for you. Hopefully you won't find anything wrong with this one!

Welcome to WPCentral!

Yeah, I think you're 100% right. And so far, this one is excellent. Best device, bar none, that I've ever owned.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss