07-30-2014 12:31 AM
79 1234
tools
    We'll I know it's really easy to use , and less issues than windows I heard.
    Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    1- Easy to use : hmm not necessarely , I mostly find it counter inituitive and down right ugly with that grey all over the place and with yosemite being a complete opposite into down right childish and something that a unicorn would throw up if it ate a rainbow :p seriousley though , people don't end up installing windows on their macs just for those windows programs .... but that is entirely personal I guess ...
    2 - OS X may have in real life "less" problems , BUT this is only because it has less apps with a whole lot less requirements and acces to system , not to mention OS X does have a stronger security layer to be fair . and actually OS X does feature Bsod , it just isn't a blue one , and because apple builds the drivers for its own hardware instead of having to depend on OEMs half-assed work , but that still hasn't stopped the problem from persisting , also in a strict side to side comparison with all the hardware windows is built to support and perform well on , windows would be far superior and more flexible , but OS X is built for only special types of PCs ( yes MAC with intel processor = PCs , quite litteraly :p ) this comparaison is invalid , in a nutshell more stability = a LOT LESS APPS and FUNCTINNALITY
    BONUS TIP : if you want device which will be well supported in the future and have a better chance of not becoming slower with updates , the SP3 is superior , apple forces you into updating to the newest version of the OS just to run your bloody programs ( e.g final cut pro : the only reason I like OS X ) , these updates have been known to cause problems that take quite a while to be fixed by apple , so your literally between two walls ( I forgot the proper metaphor :p ) oh and as proof askanyone who owns a power based mac , I mean you windows pcs that came with xp in 2003 or 2004 could run windows 8 flawlessly but the first MacBook air can't update to OS X 10.7 ! (2009 v.s. 2012 )
    07-28-2014 05:45 PM
    Accessories at gas stations for macs?

I see knock off (and official) mag safe chargers pretty often.
    carlos12001 likes this.
    07-28-2014 05:50 PM
    Can you download torrents on osx?

yes, but unlike windows, there is no worry about getting infected from any of those files.

if there is any program you need that is windows only, run XP in VMware.

it the surface had a real keyboard, I would have said to keep it, but it doesn't work well in laptop mode.
    Last edited by ohgood; 07-29-2014 at 03:40 AM.
    07-28-2014 05:52 PM
    I wouldn't trade a pro 3 for an air. The screen is much better on the pro and it is touch. The keyboard is a little better on the air, but not by much. You can't take notes on it and the screen res is dated.

As for trading your icon for an iPhone 5s, that I can see as the iPhone even with the tiny screen is the best device on the market
    07-28-2014 06:13 PM
    yes, but unlike windows, there is no sorry about getting infected from any of those files.

if there is any program you need that is windows only, run XP in VMware.

it the surface had a real keyboard, I would have said to keep it, but it doesn't work well in laptop mode.
    No sorry? As in no cure?

07-28-2014 06:25 PM
    What are your uses for either system? Student? Business? Web surfing? Is note taking with the pen beneficial to you?
    Mostly web, some for work. Maybe picture editing , maybe some games.

07-28-2014 06:29 PM
    Mostly web, some for work. Maybe picture editing , maybe some games.

Web searching - No difference there between OS's

Work - That's dependent on your job, but I'm guessing you've seen other coworkers playing around on Macs, so guessing this isn't much of an issue.

Photo editing - To be honest, this depends more on the kind of specs you're looking for. The higher, the better, obviously. With a PC, you'll get more bang for the buck, which hopefully you know, but the main problem is...

Games - Sorry, they're practically nonexistent on a Mac, besides the Facebook ones. You said you do a little gaming though, so maybe this isn't a big kickback, I wouldn't know.

Either way, good luck with your choice.
    07-28-2014 06:37 PM
    Without more info from you all this really seems like is an attempt to bait people into a argument on which OS/ecosystem is better.

Why are you considering the switch?
    BobLobIaw, Analyss14 and RajeevT like this.
    07-28-2014 06:55 PM
    Without more info from you all this really seems like is an attempt to bait people into a argument on which OS/ecosystem is better.

Why are you considering the switch?
    No sorry, I have a life, I asked a question...they started the argument.
    I don't know what kind of info to give you- I'm not an office guy, I repair and service equipment so computers come in handy for diagrams and service manuals. I guess both OS's basically do the same thing- I used a Mac once in the store, so that's why I asked for input. I've heard many people say 'after a Mac, they wouldn't go back to PC'.

07-28-2014 07:56 PM
    I don't know what kind of info to give you- I'm not an office guy, I repair and service equipment so computers come in handy for diagrams and service manuals. I guess both OS's basically do the same thing- I used a Mac once in the store, so that's why I asked for input. I've heard many people say 'after a Mac, they wouldn't go back to PC'.

Ya but thats not because OSx is the reason hehe...the flexibility the laptop offers you (boot camp example) coupled with incredible battery life and ecosystem of apples does make the device great for Apple fans.
    07-28-2014 08:15 PM
    Surface Pro 3 can run any Windows program or game. Mac can only run Mac. Mac has a boring UI and SP3 is much more customizable. You also get a nice stylus from a SP3. The SP3 is the replacement for MAC. Leave your SP3, you will regret changing it. Mac doesn't have less problems than Windows. BTW if you have a Windows Phone, do not even think about MAC.
    07-28-2014 08:19 PM

Most of those people are merely jumping on the Apple fandom bandwagon or excited with the Mac because it is new. My brother went and bought a top of the line Mac to use at his law office and told me he'd never go back to Windows. Fast forward a year and he is now dumping the Mac in favor of a new Windows machine.

I'm a Microsoft fan and I make good money using and selling their products. That said, all of the OSes pretty much do the same thing; that is allow you to use programs you need or want. The question is which do you like more, which has the programs you need/want, and which ecosystem do you like more (already chest deep in)?

If you like Apple's ecosystem and the MBA can run all the programs you want - go for it. It shouldn't matter what some forum lurker tells you; it isn't our device. It is yours.

What is becoming ever more wonderful about Microsoft is their willingness to put their services (ecosystem) on ALL devices. Which is the polar opposite of Google or Apple where their services tend to stick to their own devices or OSes (there are exceptions).

If it is for diagrams and service manuals? I'd stay with the SP3 as it is far more mobile than the MBA. Of course, if that is ALL you're using the device for.....perhaps a low cost 7" tablet might be a better choice for a larger smart phone? Galaxy Note or the 1520?
    07-28-2014 08:29 PM
    Most of those people are merely jumping on the Apple fandom bandwagon or excited with the Mac because it is new. My brother went and bought a top of the line Mac to use at his law office and told me he'd never go back to Windows. Fast forward a year and he is now dumping the Mac in favor of a new Windows machine.

I'm a Microsoft fan and I make good money using and selling their products. That said, all of the OSes pretty much do the same thing; that is allow you to use programs you need or want. The question is which do you like more, which has the programs you need/want, and which ecosystem do you like more (already chest deep in)?

If you like Apple's ecosystem and the MBA can run all the programs you want - go for it. It shouldn't matter what some forum lurker tells you; it isn't our device. It is yours.

What is becoming ever more wonderful about Microsoft is their willingness to put their services (ecosystem) on ALL devices. Which is the polar opposite of Google or Apple where their services tend to stick to their own devices or OSes (there are exceptions).

If it is for diagrams and service manuals? I'd stay with the SP3 as it is far more mobile than the MBA. Of course, if that is ALL you're using the device for.....perhaps a low cost 7" tablet might be a better choice for a larger smart phone? Galaxy Note or the 1520?

I hear ya, and I appreciate the feedback, the people I'm referring to I genuinely believe them. This whole thing has made me think that any ol' computer will do, don't get me wrong....I really like the sp3, but it's far from perfect, and sometimes I don't like the way MS does things. For example: my power plans are gone due to hyper v, yes I can disable it but guess what? Then my sleep setting will disappear and it will only huber mate or power off. Why? I've no clue, my sp2 worked fine in that regard. Also after two firmware updates (one of which was on launch day) wifi is still quirky. Consistency is what I like, and a good experience, can't always get that with MS. I'm honestly on the fence here, and I like both machines for there strengths.

Ps. I don't have a wp anymore.

07-28-2014 08:43 PM
    I actually like it even more whe the cyan keyboard arrived in the mail today.

07-28-2014 08:47 PM
    Surface Pro 3 can run any Windows program or game. Mac can only run Mac. Mac has a boring UI and SP3 is much more customizable. You also get a nice stylus from a SP3. The SP3 is the replacement for MAC. Leave your SP3, you will regret changing it. Mac doesn't have less problems than Windows. BTW if you have a Windows Phone, do not even think about MAC.
    This isn't true, the windows phone connector works great with iTunes on the MAC
    07-29-2014 12:05 AM
    I have to agree with you!!!
    07-29-2014 01:01 AM
    I just got an sp3 as a warranty replacement for an sp2, I kinda want a MacBook air, would it be a wise decision to trade my sp3 for one?
    Why do you ask?
    07-29-2014 01:32 AM
    I hear ya, and I appreciate the feedback, the people I'm referring to I genuinely believe them. This whole thing has made me think that any ol' computer will do, don't get me wrong....I really like the sp3, but it's far from perfect, and sometimes I don't like the way MS does things. For example: my power plans are gone due to hyper v, yes I can disable it but guess what? Then my sleep setting will disappear and it will only huber mate or power off. Why? I've no clue, my sp2 worked fine in that regard. Also after two firmware updates (one of which was on launch day) wifi is still quirky. Consistency is what I like, and a good experience, can't always get that with MS. I'm honestly on the fence here, and I like both machines for there strengths.

Ps. I don't have a wp anymore.

Of that is true then get a real tablet PC. Don't get me wrong the sp3 is a great stirde for Ms in the consumer tablet PC market but if you want quality, consistency, and no funky quirks mac is the wrong way to go look at fujitsu' t or q series tablet PCs have yet to find anything that compares well with them in actual usage.
    07-29-2014 03:01 AM
    No worry? As in no cure?

fixed it
    07-29-2014 03:43 AM
    the Mac can run , bsd, Linux, andwindows OS's, and any program under them. can the surface?

the Mac will sit on your lap. (hardware)
    the Mac will not get viruses (software)
    the Mac will run more programs(software)

touch screen.... marketing

try typing on the surface on the train, in a car, at a conference with no tables... then tell me it's hardware and top heavy balance better than a laptop.
    07-29-2014 03:48 AM
    You've already got an iPhone so you've got the answer already in your hands. Do you prefer your iPhone over your WP?
    07-29-2014 04:29 AM
    the Mac can run , bsd, Linux, andwindows OS's, and any program under them. can the surface?

the Mac will sit on your lap. (hardware)
    the Mac will not get viruses (software)
    the Mac will run more programs(software)

touch screen.... marketing

try typing on the surface on the train, in a car, at a conference with no tables... then tell me it's hardware and top heavy balance better than a laptop.
    Touch screen is as much a marketing ploy as retina display...i say its not a gimmik. I love the touch screen on my Pro 2, I much prefer using touch than a pointer...but that's my preference, I wouldn't say its the same for everyone.

While some say the touch screen isn't a big deal, I think it is...its one of the huge factors between the 2...if it wasn't there than SP3 wouldn't have much on its side other than weight which I'm guessing is the same anyway.
    07-29-2014 06:55 AM
    Touch screen is as much a marketing ploy as retina display...i say its not a gimmik. I love the touch screen on my Pro 2, I much prefer using touch than a pointer...but that's my preference, I wouldn't say its the same for everyone.

While some say the touch screen isn't a big deal, I think it is...its one of the huge factors between the 2...if it wasn't there than SP3 wouldn't have much on its side other than weight which I'm guessing is the same anyway.

agreed, touch screen and retina display are both marketing hoopla in manifest.
    07-29-2014 07:05 AM
    Absolutely. You can torrent on it, but there is more to consider. I bought a brand new MacBook and returned it 2 weeks later, though. The OS helps you be a tad bit more productive than a PC does, but it just isn't fun enough. Windows works better with my media center, but the MacBook won't even easily allow you to hook into a tv via HDMI and close the lid. You will miss the touchscreen too.
    07-29-2014 07:19 AM
    I'm not going to sit here and bash the Macbook Air because the hardware is amazing, and I can definitely see its merits; however, the "Macs can't get viruses" is sort of a myth. There's malware out there for OSX, just not as much because it's not targeted as heavily due to the low marketshare. Doesn't get viruses isn't the same as can't get viruses. Based on the things that you say you do with a computer, you likely wouldn't run into any problems, but don't be lured into a false sense of security.

To address the "labability" of the SP3, I'll say that about 85% of the time I use mine in my lap and not on a table, and have zero issues. The new adjustable kickstand really does make a HUGE difference.

Also, a few years ago my wife was dying for a MBA, so we got her one. Fast forward to now, and she HATES it. She's totally jealous of my SP3. So take that for what it's worth...

Your reluctance here is understandable since devices of this price can be quite an investment. One big thing to consider is, like others have said, if you go to the MBA and end up hating OSX, you can always load Windows on it. Like I said, the hardware of the device is incredible, and the software can be tweaked to your liking if you're having trouble adjusting.

There are big pros and cons to both, for sure. Maybe try using the SP3 for a bit longer to see how you end up liking it (and to see if you can get past the little quirks that you mentioned before), and then make your decision based off of that.
    07-29-2014 07:51 AM
79 1234