Should I trade SP3 for the Macbook Air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I would say no...keep the pro. Its just that if you have a Lumia phone then how can you sync your pics to icloud? (if that's the name) plus for ?13 on play.com you can buy a brand new dvd/cd player that plugs in via usb and no need for a power supply. Now you have a fully working laptop. Its up to you. I got nothing against the mac.... But nice to have a lumia(if you have one that is) and a pro to match

I ditched my icon for a 5s, even if I didn't, one drive is on the App Store.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
If you're really in doubt you could go into an apple store and try a macbook out. (Also check the vid I linked in my prev. post)

Though I once read a funny story here on WPC forums about a guy who went into an apple store to get his device booked in for repair and while he was waiting to be called up, he got his Surface out and half the shoppers took immediate interest and came over to ask him about it. A few even asked him where he got it and he told them about the MS store on the other side of the mall. All of a sudden he went from quite far back in the waiting list to to be seen, to the front of the waiting list. They really wanted him gone from the store :p

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
There are a few very good sources about the SP3 vs Mac. Here's a good video:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...ould-i-trade-sp3-macbook-air.html#post2669760

The guy isn't full of ****. He's not biased. He makes a brilliant review of the SP3. I think the things that stand out are the touch screen + pen (where you click the end of the pen to take notes), the GORGEOUS display, and the overall premium feel of the device. Plus being full Windows 8.1 you can run the whole enchilada of programs you could run on your home windows PC. It also functions as tablet or laptop depending on what you want so you can use it like a laptop (notebook as Americans call it) at home, or a tablet on the go.

It has its downsides; first the keyboard does cost extra most reviews agree if the keyboard is a big deal then the Macbook's keyboard is easier to use. However the SP3 keyboard can fold up like a cover, and if you use it in tablet (touchscreen) mode then you get the same style software keyboard you'll find on windows phone.

Thanks for the info, I already have the sp3, lol. I was wondering if I should trade it or not.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Trading your Icon for a 5s was your first bad choice... you may as well get the MBA while your still on a roll...

LinT

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
What are your uses for either system? Student? Business? Web surfing? Is note taking with the pen beneficial to you?

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
We'll I know it's really easy to use , and less issues than windows I heard.
1- Easy to use : hmm not necessarely , I mostly find it counter inituitive and down right ugly with that grey all over the place and with yosemite being a complete opposite into down right childish and something that a unicorn would throw up if it ate a rainbow :p seriousley though , people don't end up installing windows on their macs just for those windows programs .... but that is entirely personal I guess ...
2 - OS X may have in real life "less" problems , BUT this is only because it has less apps with a whole lot less requirements and acces to system , not to mention OS X does have a stronger security layer to be fair . and actually OS X does feature Bsod , it just isn't a blue one , and because apple builds the drivers for its own hardware instead of having to depend on OEMs half-assed work , but that still hasn't stopped the problem from persisting , also in a strict side to side comparison with all the hardware windows is built to support and perform well on , windows would be far superior and more flexible , but OS X is built for only special types of PCs ( yes MAC with intel processor = PCs , quite litteraly :p ) this comparaison is invalid , in a nutshell more stability = a LOT LESS APPS and FUNCTINNALITY
BONUS TIP : if you want device which will be well supported in the future and have a better chance of not becoming slower with updates , the SP3 is superior , apple forces you into updating to the newest version of the OS just to run your bloody programs ( e.g final cut pro : the only reason I like OS X ) , these updates have been known to cause problems that take quite a while to be fixed by apple , so your literally between two walls ( I forgot the proper metaphor :p ) oh and as proof askanyone who owns a power based mac , I mean you windows pcs that came with xp in 2003 or 2004 could run windows 8 flawlessly but the first MacBook air can't update to OS X 10.7 ! (2009 v.s. 2012 )

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Can you download torrents on osx?

yes, but unlike windows, there is no worry about getting infected from any of those files.

if there is any program you need that is windows only, run XP in VMware.

it the surface had a real keyboard, I would have said to keep it, but it doesn't work well in laptop mode.

Last edited:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't trade a pro 3 for an air. The screen is much better on the pro and it is touch. The keyboard is a little better on the air, but not by much. You can't take notes on it and the screen res is dated.

As for trading your icon for an iPhone 5s, that I can see as the iPhone even with the tiny screen is the best device on the market

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
yes, but unlike windows, there is no sorry about getting infected from any of those files.

if there is any program you need that is windows only, run XP in VMware.

it the surface had a real keyboard, I would have said to keep it, but it doesn't work well in laptop mode.

No sorry? As in no cure?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Mostly web, some for work. Maybe picture editing , maybe some games.

Web searching - No difference there between OS's

Work - That's dependent on your job, but I'm guessing you've seen other coworkers playing around on Macs, so guessing this isn't much of an issue.

Photo editing - To be honest, this depends more on the kind of specs you're looking for. The higher, the better, obviously. With a PC, you'll get more bang for the buck, which hopefully you know, but the main problem is...

Games - Sorry, they're practically nonexistent on a Mac, besides the Facebook ones. You said you do a little gaming though, so maybe this isn't a big kickback, I wouldn't know.

Either way, good luck with your choice.

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Without more info from you all this really seems like is an attempt to bait people into a argument on which OS/ecosystem is better.

Why are you considering the switch?

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Without more info from you all this really seems like is an attempt to bait people into a argument on which OS/ecosystem is better.

Why are you considering the switch?

No sorry, I have a life, I asked a question...they started the argument.
I don't know what kind of info to give you- I'm not an office guy, I repair and service equipment so computers come in handy for diagrams and service manuals. I guess both OS's basically do the same thing- I used a Mac once in the store, so that's why I asked for input. I've heard many people say 'after a Mac, they wouldn't go back to PC'.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what kind of info to give you- I'm not an office guy, I repair and service equipment so computers come in handy for diagrams and service manuals. I guess both OS's basically do the same thing- I used a Mac once in the store, so that's why I asked for input. I've heard many people say 'after a Mac, they wouldn't go back to PC'.

Ya but thats not because OSx is the reason hehe...the flexibility the laptop offers you (boot camp example) coupled with incredible battery life and ecosystem of apples does make the device great for Apple fans.

MatchAttax08

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Surface Pro 3 can run any Windows program or game. Mac can only run Mac. Mac has a boring UI and SP3 is much more customizable. You also get a nice stylus from a SP3. The SP3 is the replacement for MAC. Leave your SP3, you will regret changing it. Mac doesn't have less problems than Windows. BTW if you have a Windows Phone, do not even think about MAC.

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

Most of those people are merely jumping on the Apple fandom bandwagon or excited with the Mac because it is new. My brother went and bought a top of the line Mac to use at his law office and told me he'd never go back to Windows. Fast forward a year and he is now dumping the Mac in favor of a new Windows machine.

I'm a Microsoft fan and I make good money using and selling their products. That said, all of the OSes pretty much do the same thing; that is allow you to use programs you need or want. The question is which do you like more, which has the programs you need/want, and which ecosystem do you like more (already chest deep in)?

If you like Apple's ecosystem and the MBA can run all the programs you want - go for it. It shouldn't matter what some forum lurker tells you; it isn't our device. It is yours.

What is becoming ever more wonderful about Microsoft is their willingness to put their services (ecosystem) on ALL devices. Which is the polar opposite of Google or Apple where their services tend to stick to their own devices or OSes (there are exceptions).

If it is for diagrams and service manuals? I'd stay with the SP3 as it is far more mobile than the MBA. Of course, if that is ALL you're using the device for.....perhaps a low cost 7" tablet might be a better choice for a larger smart phone? Galaxy Note or the 1520?

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Most of those people are merely jumping on the Apple fandom bandwagon or excited with the Mac because it is new. My brother went and bought a top of the line Mac to use at his law office and told me he'd never go back to Windows. Fast forward a year and he is now dumping the Mac in favor of a new Windows machine.

I'm a Microsoft fan and I make good money using and selling their products. That said, all of the OSes pretty much do the same thing; that is allow you to use programs you need or want. The question is which do you like more, which has the programs you need/want, and which ecosystem do you like more (already chest deep in)?

If you like Apple's ecosystem and the MBA can run all the programs you want - go for it. It shouldn't matter what some forum lurker tells you; it isn't our device. It is yours.

What is becoming ever more wonderful about Microsoft is their willingness to put their services (ecosystem) on ALL devices. Which is the polar opposite of Google or Apple where their services tend to stick to their own devices or OSes (there are exceptions).

If it is for diagrams and service manuals? I'd stay with the SP3 as it is far more mobile than the MBA. Of course, if that is ALL you're using the device for.....perhaps a low cost 7" tablet might be a better choice for a larger smart phone? Galaxy Note or the 1520?

I hear ya, and I appreciate the feedback, the people I'm referring to I genuinely believe them. This whole thing has made me think that any ol' computer will do, don't get me wrong....I really like the sp3, but it's far from perfect, and sometimes I don't like the way MS does things. For example: my power plans are gone due to hyper v, yes I can disable it but guess what? Then my sleep setting will disappear and it will only huber mate or power off. Why? I've no clue, my sp2 worked fine in that regard. Also after two firmware updates (one of which was on launch day) wifi is still quirky. Consistency is what I like, and a good experience, can't always get that with MS. I'm honestly on the fence here, and I like both machines for there strengths.

Ps. I don't have a wp anymore.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Surface Pro 3 can run any Windows program or game. Mac can only run Mac. Mac has a boring UI and SP3 is much more customizable. You also get a nice stylus from a SP3. The SP3 is the replacement for MAC. Leave your SP3, you will regret changing it. Mac doesn't have less problems than Windows. BTW if you have a Windows Phone, do not even think about MAC.

This isn't true, the windows phone connector works great with iTunes on the MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss