Should I trade SP3 for the Macbook Air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you stand to gain anything. But it's very hard to answer your question, and I don't know how everyone did not even knowing the specs of your Surface pro 3 or the specs of the Mac in question? They aren't all created equal. Outfitted correctly they can both be capable machines. but don't get caught up in the hype. I wanted a small tablet and got caught up in the hype of the iPad mini retina. I bought it but could never see what the Retina hype was about. I brought it back and replaced it with a Samsung Galaxy Tab3 8.0. Much better screen and much less in cost. Admittedly I do have a 10 inch iPad air with retina screen. I'm keeping it to have one foot in the Mac ecosystem but it's nothing to shout about either.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you stand to gain anything. But it's very hard to answer your question, and I don't know how everyone did not even knowing the specs of your Surface pro 3 or the specs of the Mac in question? They aren't all created equal. Outfitted correctly they can both be capable machines. but don't get caught up in the hype. I wanted a small tablet and got caught up in the hype of the iPad mini retina. I bought it but could never see what the Retina hype was about. I brought it back and replaced it with a Samsung Galaxy Tab3 8.0. Much better screen and much less in cost. Admittedly I do have a 10 inch iPad air with retina screen. I'm keeping it to have one foot in the Mac ecosystem but it's nothing to shout about either.

Both i5 128gb.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

TywinnLannister

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a feeling if you want to be honest with yourself, you want that MBA. And no matter how hard people here are trying to convince you to keep your SP3, the thought of owning an MBA will haunt you for a while until you own one. For the rest of us, we all know SP3 is far more superior in terms of productivity than MBA because we make SP3 fits and works for our need, not the other way around. Is SP3 a perfect machine, of course it's not. Nor is MBA.

The thought of this imperfection will hit you hard when you finally own the MBA. You will then realize.. hey the grass is always greener on the other side. Not until you realize that these machines are just a tool to enhance your productivity and not a way to satisfy your eagerness to own something you don't have, this cycle will keep on going. How do I know this, because that was me 10 years ago.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
A friend of mine is getting the i7 version. He does video editing on the fly on Premiere. He told me the i5 was capable as well. Personally I would keep the Surface pro.

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
guess I've missed the train load of viruses by magic or miracle these last 8 years? zero infections, roots, hacks, anything at all from clicking on any email attachment, any web link, downloading GPS tracking programs from Russia (that I love), but even more importantly, Mac os doesn't constantly nag me with pop ups about time/date, updates, "tour computer might be at risk!", and similar tool bar annoyances. this, directly from the operating system, I'm not even talking about the poor web rendering, and scary stuff from the web.

What OS are you describing? It sure isn't Windows. I haven't had any form of malware since Win98. It's a numbers game: less malware exists for Mac, because there are fewer Mac users. For the malware that does exist, Win 7 and above are more resilient than any OSX versions. But, the resilience isn't huge, so the "security through obscurity" still works in the Mac users' favor.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
lol trade in then. Let him see how owning a mac will be like. Don't worry guys, he'll be crawling back to windows, then he'll get a chromebook then back to windows he goes. It's that kind of cycle in my opinion.

Last edited:

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling if you want to be honest with yourself, you want that MBA. And no matter how hard people here are trying to convince you to keep your SP3, the thought of owning an MBA will haunt you for a while until you own one. For the rest of us, we all know SP3 is far more superior in terms of productivity than MBA because we make SP3 fits and works for our need, not the other way around. Is SP3 a perfect machine, of course it's not. Nor is MBA.

The thought of this imperfection will hit you hard when you finally own the MBA. You will then realize.. hey the grass is always greener on the other side. Not until you realize that these machines are just a tool to enhance your productivity and not a way to satisfy your eagerness to own something you don't have, this cycle will keep on going. How do I know this, because that was me 10 years ago.

This ^^^^^

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
agreed, touch screen and retina display are both marketing hoopla in manifest.

I never said they are marketing ploys, I'm implying they offer unique features that make their respective experiences 'special'(?). Again, I love a touch screen OS...even my 2004 86x recording UI works great with the touch screen integration...its a different level of user control on such demanding software. Some wont get the same benefits as me, fair enough...Surface Pro 2 was overpriced? Ya by a couple hundred....but everytime I hold my work laptops (including a MB Pro), they don't feel as nice as my SP2. And I much prefer the windows OS, OSX is good for what it is...but its severely lacking compared to windows 8.1, my opinion of course.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
lol trade in then. Let him see how owning a mac will be like. Don't worry guys, he'll be crawling back to windows, then he'll get a chromebook then back to windows he goes. It's that kind of cycle in my opinion.

Hahahaha. Or I could have both and run windows on the MBA.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site

That's partially true. I just don't get why people hate on the macs, they're very nice machines. Hating android I can understand.

Last edited by a moderator:

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If you have zero preference of OS, then the MBA is a better laptop, but a much, much worse tablet. Do you want the tablet features? Do you use a pen in OneNote? Do you really not care what OS you have? That's a big deciding factor too. If you prefer Windows then the better keyboard and trackpad probably aren't enough.

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Surface Pro 3 can run any Windows program or game. Mac can only run Mac. Mac has a boring UI and SP3 is much more customizable. You also get a nice stylus from a SP3. The SP3 is the replacement for MAC. Leave your SP3, you will regret changing it. Mac doesn't have less problems than Windows. BTW if you have a Windows Phone, do not even think about MAC.
Guess you never saw Windows running on a Mac with Parallels or other VM. Actually my Icon and 635 sync far better with Windows phone for Mac than on 8.1, music and photo transfers are easy and fast. The UI on the Metro app is nice looking but not easy to use. Nokia Photo transfer for Mac syncs Raw full size photos from my Icon. Several reviewers have noted that most of the iPad and Mac apps from Microsoft work better on Macs. If only Apple would come out with a touch screen on laptops

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
What OS are you describing? It sure isn't Windows. I haven't had any form of malware since Win98. It's a numbers game: less malware exists for Mac, because there are fewer Mac users. For the malware that does exist, Win 7 and above are more resilient than any OSX versions. But, the resilience isn't huge, so the "security through obscurity" still works in the Mac users' favor.

can you describe what resilient means in your reply?

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Open? As far as?

This was discussed by me other times so i am not going to repeat myself. Long story made short. Apple is a closed ecosystem. Windows is not this speaking of desktop systems. Apple is less flexible, has less software available and is bound to more legal limits than Windows has and those legal limits are also enforced more strictly than Microsoft does. And i don't go in the area of how overpriced Apple products are outside the US.

We can say that everyone has a perfect OS he likes to work with based on his needs and i agree on that. When it comes to open OS VS closed ones there is nothing more closed than iOS in all its iterations, mobile and desktop. Paradoxically, Windows Mobile 6.5 was more open than any OS (including WP 8/8.1) has ever been. You could manipulate everything (like you do with Windows) without anyone running after you with a legal suit.

I don't hate any OS, i appreciate them all to an extent. However the caged feeling Apple gives me has always kept me afar from their devices. The idea i can't have all the software i need to work is the other main reason. And of course, prices are another key issue. When a MacPro 15" top of line costs around 1700/1800 euros you get exactly the same configuration or better for at least 200 or 300 euro less in Asia from another PC manufacturer, with a machine that can be repaired by anyone rather than require "everything Apple" in "Apple service centers". Couldn't be more of a closed ecosystem than that. I was even surprised by your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers