Should I trade SP3 for the Macbook Air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I just got an sp3 as a warranty replacement for an sp2, I kinda want a MacBook air, would it be a wise decision to trade my sp3 for one?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I just got an sp3 as a warranty replacement for an sp2, I kinda want a MacBook air, would it be a wise decision to trade my sp3 for one?

I would. full keyboard, run any program ever made MSC/Linux/XP/7/9/whatever,

and there are accessories for them at every gas station

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

Personally I would say no. Too proprietary a system. Proprietary connectors. Mac only really plays well with mac. PC is the way to go and the sp3 is supposed to be one hell of a tablet PC, but it depends on your preference. Obviously you will lose touch and pen ability (which may or may not be a big factor). Ms media players play well with SD cards and external drives for their music libraries wheates iTunes has to have them all in one place (again may or not be a factor depending on your usage and how much hard drive space you will use). In the end its up to you and what you prefer.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

Yes, by all means trade it in for a Mac. Twice. And then change your avatar. Do you not like your SP3? That seems like a generous warranty replacement, being an upgrade and all.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely not. The MacBook air is an overrated pseudo-laptop. If you are making the switch, get a MacBook pro.

*puts on Microsoft ****** shades* WTF, heck no you shouldn't trade the SP3 for an overpriced laptop that you will end up putting Windows on anyway. :p

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
No way would I get the Mac... SP3 is faster, more memory, touch, pen, all the ports, is a tablet and laptop. Way more versatile, plus you can run all windows SW and Metro Apps. Plus it works great with Office and windows phone...

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Nice replacement/upgrade. Financially, it depends upon whether or not it you'll end up with something more valuable than you started with.

Technically, it depends upon what you're going to use your device for. It's no small thing to switch from one operating system to another...especially if you are using some particular pieces of software that aren't available on the other system.

Since you previously had an SP2, and now an SP3, why would you NOW be interested in an MBA? I traded my Surface 2 for an 11.6" MBA but I had specific and deliberate reasons.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
No way would I get the Mac... SP3 is faster, more memory, touch, pen, all the ports, is a tablet and laptop. Way more versatile, plus you can run all windows SW and Metro Apps. Plus it works great with Office and windows phone...

It has the same specs, actually the MBA has a little better gpu.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Sure, but I would highly recommend running Windows via VM as OSX in my opinion is lackluster compared to windows as an OS. The Macbook builds are incredible with excellent battery life, I've got a MB Pro for work but run windows on it 90% of the time.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I would say no...keep the pro. Its just that if you have a Lumia phone then how can you sync your pics to icloud? (if that's the name) plus for ?13 on play.com you can buy a brand new dvd/cd player that plugs in via usb and no need for a power supply. Now you have a fully working laptop. Its up to you. I got nothing against the mac.... But nice to have a lumia(if you have one that is) and a pro to match

Liam Wong

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

If you want a MBA you should probably wait until they add retina display to it. The current resolutions seem dated for something that expensive.

Edit: What was wrong with your surface pro 2 btw?

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely not. The MacBook air is an overrated pseudo-laptop. If you are making the switch, get a MacBook pro.

*puts on Microsoft ****** shades* WTF, heck no you shouldn't trade the SP3 for an overpriced laptop that you will end up putting Windows on anyway. :p

Outside of being larger, what's the major difference between the two? Both have a very similar specs.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
There are a few very good sources about the SP3 vs Mac. Here's a good video:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...ould-i-trade-sp3-macbook-air.html#post2669760

The guy isn't full of ****. He's not biased. He makes a brilliant review of the SP3. I think the things that stand out are the touch screen + pen (where you click the end of the pen to take notes), the GORGEOUS display, and the overall premium feel of the device. Plus being full Windows 8.1 you can run the whole enchilada of programs you could run on your home windows PC. It also functions as tablet or laptop depending on what you want so you can use it like a laptop (notebook as Americans call it) at home, or a tablet on the go.

It has its downsides; first the keyboard does cost extra most reviews agree if the keyboard is a big deal then the Macbook's keyboard is easier to use. However the SP3 keyboard can fold up like a cover, and if you use it in tablet (touchscreen) mode then you get the same style software keyboard you'll find on windows phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos